How Do You Enjoy Porsches on Public Roads in Australia?

17 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

This is something that I have been doing for years too.  Reducing your “ useable” road increases the sensation of speed and increases the need for accurate, smooth driving.

Correct.  I'm no saint and I might touch a line here n there (unless I have a certain coupla GT3's behind me and I'm trying to get away 😉), yet straight lining some wiggly bits, or regularly having half your car or more on the wrong side of the road to resemble a racetrack line isn't the best of driving practises in my opinion. S'pose I just like the challenge of sticking to my lane as best as I can

21 hours ago, LeeM said:

regularly having half your car or more on the wrong side of the road to resemble a racetrack line isn't the best of driving practises in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more.  If you need both side of the road, you are driving too fast for the conditions.  The thing that sucks these days is the dropping of the older 100km/h zones back to 80km/h.  The black spur and reefton spur were perfect with a 100km/h limit.  Black spur has too much traffic these days.  Not like it was 25 odd years ago when you could regularly get a free run at it.

4 hours ago, Gnrnr said:

Couldn't agree more.  If you need both side of the road, you are driving too fast for the conditions.  The thing that sucks these days is the dropping of the older 100km/h zones back to 80km/h.  The black spur and reefton spur were perfect with a 100km/h limit.  Black spur has too much traffic these days.  Not like it was 25 odd years ago when you could regularly get a free run at it.

Same down in Western Vic ,Had some great 12-15 k twisty little roads that you were doing a good job if you could maintain a 100k an hr on them , All been sign posted back to 80 clicks :(

Speed limits are a great example of how it would appear we are regressing as a species and society. Car safety and technology only gets better as the speed limits here in Oz get lower, paranoid drivers all sitting 10km/h below and already dismal low speed limit probably proves the point though................

Funny thing for me was when they dropped the limits on the reefton and black spurs.  they used the reasoning that the excessive speeds being done (mostly by motorcycles) required the speed limit to be dropped.  Since a guy doing 180-200 on some of the straights cares that they are now exceeding the limit by another 20.....

ok...how do i enjoy my porsche on roads etc....

I get in.  I start the car and enjoy the engine sound.  I then go for a drive (short or many days) and enjoy that too.  Then I go home.  I get out -  and look at car again.  Smile again. Then I shut the garage door.  I enjoyed it. 

11 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

ok...how do i enjoy my porsche on roads etc....

I get in.  I start the car and enjoy the engine sound.  I then go for a drive (short or many days) and enjoy that too.  Then I go home.  I get out -  and look at car again.  Smile again. Then I shut the garage door.  I enjoyed it. 

nailed it :Beer:

On 10/06/2021 at 12:17, edgy said:

I did a key swap with a friend who had 997 TT... there is no way I'd have license if owned one of those! 

As for old, its a good point on your mates 996 GT3, I am currently down to the one Porsche sports car, and its a 996... there is a lot of feedback in those early GT cars, which gives you that tactile & sensory satisfaction at most speeds. 

I have your medicine mate... 🍷

RNP is my closest... I don't drive it much, even when I do, my expectation is in line... but its often fraught with danger, in fact we went there last Sunday, and just prior to the Audley weir there was a fatality... we turned around and hit the freeway to Wollongong and looped it back via Darkes Forrest to Waterfall, that is an under rated segment of road, generous 100 kph speed limit and a good quite road. 

The key is company, or go solo, when we go its a 6-6:30am meet up and depart... none of this daylight BS! 

But yes, most the really great driving roads are bit of a commitment, but if you start early, you can be back in Sydney for lunch with your family. 

I've been resisting a door knock on the 205 GTi 2 streets down, thanks to that video! :lol:

Don’t discount a 306 GTI/6