Hobbies etc. What else do you do for fun?

On 21/06/2021 at 19:14, GC9911 said:

IMG_0441.MOV

4828E23B-F0B5-46C3-9521-00E418C1758B.jpeg

IMG_0441.MOV 64.61 MB · 0download

Did you do the grass pavers yourself? I've been looking for a solution in my front yard. In order to get to my back yard I have to drive across what will be a lawn once I’m done. I’ve been thinking these are just the thing.

I too have to say 1:1 scale yard toys are also a hobby. It would be pretty rare for a weekend to go past and not spend at least one day in a machine.  I purchased a flail mover attachment recently that has been awesome. Next I need to work out a steep slope mowing solution. I've rough cut all the roads in so once we actually get some dry weather I can get the Bobcat up there and smooth it all out. 

Backyard1.jpg

Backyard2.jpg

Backyard3.jpg

Backyard4.jpg

Backyard5.jpg

Mog5.jpg

Mower1.jpg

On 22/06/2021 at 13:50, TwoHeadsTas said:

Is that a "thing"?  Never knew that.  How is the course defined, witches hats etc???

It's the same rules as Bonnerville Speed Week but run each year at Lake Gairdner in South Australia. You have everything from 50cc postie bikes going 60 MPH to Bonnerville regulars like Valerie Thompson flying out to Australia with her streamliner motorbike doing 300+ MPH. It's a great week for people who are happy camping, being off the grid (no mobile coverage at all) & spending time with like minded motorsports nuts !! 

The driving is mostly terrifying & over 150 MPH it's like driving on wet grass. The course has a cross wind at the 3-4 mile mark which makes things a bit difficult as you can see in the video below.....I managed to go through a speed detector backwards at 171 MPH in 2018, the good news is there is nothing to hit. My ultimate goal is to squeeze 200 MPH out of the little BMW. It's a stupid plan, taking many years & destined for continued failure but I enjoy the process / planning.....ha ha

44 minutes ago, MR901 said:

It's the same rules as Bonnerville Speed Week but run each year at Lake Gairdner in South Australia. You have everything from 50cc postie bikes going 60 MPH to Bonnerville regulars like Valerie Thompson flying out to Australia with her streamliner motorbike doing 300+ MPH. It's a great week for people who are happy camping, being off the grid (no mobile coverage at all) & spending time with like minded motorsports nuts !! 

The driving is mostly terrifying & over 150 MPH it's like driving on wet grass. The course has a cross wind at the 3-4 mile mark which makes things a bit difficult as you can see in the video below.....I managed to go through a speed detector backwards at 171 MPH in 2018, the good news is there is nothing to hit. My ultimate goal is to squeeze 200 MPH out of the little BMW. It's a stupid plan, taking many years & destined for continued failure but I enjoy the process / planning.....ha ha

Great video, shades of Burt Munro!!!

FYI, for anyone coming to northern Tassie, we have "Burt Munro's cafe" at Exeter, 30 mins north of Launceston, which has a great collection of motorbike memorabilia, as well as good coffee!!

2 hours ago, MR901 said:

Thanks for posting. That looks like a great event to escape the city with like-minded folk and see cars, trucks and bikes go incredibly fast!

It's a great event & whether you're on a $100 postie bike or in a million dollar hand built monster people will be welcoming & friendly. In our first year my trailer broke about 5 km from the salt.....we literally had people coming out of the bushes with welders at midnight to help fix it. Most cars / bikes are under 150 MPH so you can participate safely with a modest budget. Some are a little more serious.....video below of a 343 MPH crash on a motorbike !!! 

Holy shit, one lucky girl. I guess that parachute was not only designed to slow her down but also to stop it from barrel rolling. 

Could you imagine the "g " forces if that were to happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2021 at 10:31, pocketscience said:

@Dalai - inspiring stuff mate! I used to climb a lot when I was younger. Really enjoyed the freedom and challenge of it. I've still got all my gear, and can't bare to chuck it, even though I'd never climb on it now. Taekwondo took over for me a few years back when my young son decided to give it a go. It's been the best father/son thing and we're both black belts now. We travelled to Korea in 2019 to train at a martial arts university (Yongin) outside of Seoul for a few weeks - training against 18yo's who live and breathe this stuff every day was incredible. I competed at the PanPac Masters in 2018 and picked up a few medals, but can't see myself heading there this year unfortunately.

Excellent,  martial arts trading is something else.

Gave up though a few years back with bad knees and hips. My surfing also fell away soon after. Unfortunately chronic injuries have taken control of many aspects of my leisure time.

15 hours ago, Joz said:

Excellent,  martial arts trading is something else.

Gave up though a few years back with bad knees and hips. My surfing also fell away soon after. Unfortunately chronic injuries have taken control of many aspects of my leisure time.

Yeah, getting old sucks. I've got a grading coming up next month, but am currently struggling with a slipped disc.. spent most of last week on prescription happy beans (Endone & Targin) just to keep up the training.. My wife thinks I'm nuts. She's not wrong..

3 hours ago, pocketscience said:

Yeah, getting old sucks. I've got a grading coming up next month, but am currently struggling with a slipped disc.. spent most of last week on prescription happy beans (Endone & Targin) just to keep up the training.. My wife thinks I'm nuts. She's not wrong..

I'd have to agree, the pain we endured for our training was kind of extreme considering we were doing it for enjoyment.

I was a karate and kickboxing tragic for many years gaining blackbelts in a few styles, now my whole body hurts just getting of the couch 😥

9 hours ago, pocketscience said:

Endone gives me hallucinations. I was seeing people being ripped apart by black demons.  Never again.

I still have a pack here...apparently it’s worth $200 a pill on the streets

🤔

21 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Endone gives me hallucinations. I was seeing people being ripped apart by black demons.  Never again.

I still have a pack here...apparently it’s worth $200 a pill on the streets

🤔

Nah, nothing like that according to my doc.. They work well for me, except they put me off food. The chemist wouldn't fill my prescription until they rang and called the doctor first - maybe I looked a bit sketchy (I was in pretty intense pain at the time!)..

6 hours ago, Joz said:

I'd have to agree, the pain we endured for our training was kind of extreme considering we were doing it for enjoyment.

I've busted a rib, and a collar bone, and dislocated the other shoulder... so yeah... enjoyment..! 🤪

1 minute ago, pocketscience said:

Nah, nothing like that according to my doc.. They work well for me, except they put me off food. The chemist wouldn't fill my prescription until they rang and called the doctor first - maybe I looked a bit sketchy (I was in pretty intense pain at the time!)..

Must be hereditary, as they send my father off to la la land too.

Another fellow thought the hospital was collapsing around him.  

There is apparently a high rate of intolerance to Endone, some nurses I spoke to said that it was a wonder it is allowed to be prescribed.  AtA hospital in Newcastle it’s the drug of choice for weekends.  Keeps the patients quiet.

1 minute ago, OZ930 said:

Must be hereditary, as they send my father off to la la land too.

Another fellow thought the hospital was collapsing around him.  

There is apparently a high rate of intolerance to Endone, some nurses I spoke to said that it was a wonder it is allowed to be prescribed.  AtA hospital in Newcastle it’s the drug of choice for weekends.  Keeps the patients quiet.

I'd offer to take em off your hands, but pretty sure S8 drugs and Australia Post is a no-no! 😂

4 hours ago, OZ930 said:

I've seen those same demons. Endone is the Devil's candy. 

I'm with you @OZ930, never again.

4 hours ago, luzzo said:

I've seen those same demons. Endone is the Devil's candy. 

I'm with you @OZ930, never again.

The missus had either that or Oxycontin once. Reckon she was tripping for a solid day. It was pretty funny with her very weird comments, as she was high as f... 😂

10 hours ago, LeeM said:

The missus had either that or Oxycontin once. Reckon she was tripping for a solid day. It was pretty funny with her very weird comments, as she was high as f... 😂

OxyContin is the same as Endone - oxycodone - just different brands.

My doctor called them Devils Tic Tacs... 🤣

6 minutes ago, pocketscience said:

OxyContin is the same as Endone - oxycodone - just different brands.

My doctor called them Devils Tic Tacs... 🤣

Oh! 😁

I call them bloody funny when someone else is tripping on them 😂

Endone is 5 mg of quick release oxy for immediate pain relief Oxycodine is 5-20 mg of Oxy for modified pain relief  (longer lasting relief) As any one who has to take these shit drugs for pain you can not take a dump, While on them, In comes Targin modified release available  from 2.5 mg with 1.5 laxative up to 20 oxy and 10 laxative and higher I am pretty sure you can take up 60 mg of Oxy in a 24 hr cycle and just stay  sain if you have the pain to keep you stable but it is a close call. Then you move to patches which contain fentanal 75 mg every 72 hrs its really  tough to keep your  shit together then .

4 hours ago, tomo said:

Yep , Don't understand these f#ers that take them for fun . ;)

Whilst doing housing maintenance and watching someone trying to burn metho in a teaspoon to inhale the smoke/vapour, junkies rarely surprise me mate

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Whilst doing housing maintenance and watching someone trying to burn metho in a teaspoon to inhale the smoke/vapour, junkies rarely surprise me mate

What no bikini  clad babes trying to chat up the tradie, It must be a rumor :)