Hobbies etc. What else do you do for fun?

Bit of veggie gardening, pretty much anything Radio control - have some electric planes in the shed I should get rid of as I haven;t touched them for ages, electric cars which I'll have a bit more fun with when the neighbour builds the track, R/C yachts - just acquired a s/h RG 65,  big yachts, now sold, but can go sailing on OPs, much cheaper that way, bit of woodwork, plastic models etc. 

Not enough time to do any one of them properly, perhaps I should retire, but can't afford to do that and keep my Porsche habit going, so will need to work for a few more years.....

I had a go at R/C cars a few years ago @TwoHeadsTas, and its one of THE most frustrating things I've ever done. I tried battery cars, but that was a bit boring and no noise, so I tried a gas car. Yeah that wasnt a good idea, as the first time I took it to a park, it took off at top speed and I couldn't stop it, nearly taking out a pram a woman was walking and her little dog 😲 Thankfully it didn't hit them, though I was quite happy it obliterated itself when it hit a brick wall, and have never even thought of doing it again 😁

1 hour ago, pocketscience said:

pinball machines (quite a few)

Ya think? 😲😂

I'm at a cross roads... I was gearing up for some proper overseas travel and adventure, but Covid.  

I'm done restoring old cars.  I spent may years on fisheries boats for work and CBF fishing/diving anymore.  I used to hunt but stopped enjoying killing.  I'd be dangerous to myself if I started riding motorbikes again.  Taught myself to fly RC helicopters and planes - but over them now (drones make me yawn).   Brother is a chopper pilot and I've flown heaps - but it's not my thing.  I surf occasionally - but not in winter.  I still love music, but my guitar playing plateaued at 'University partying' level.  

Porsches continue to remain a constant - but damn they're expensive! 

I do enjoy a bit of backyard hunting (long story, but these Hadronyche macquariensis are a part of a work project) - you'd be amazed how cathartic coaxing these things out of their holes is... I think I'm weirder as I get older, but I'm learning I care less :D

IMG_0982.jpeg

I collect (read .. hoard) ephemera. Yes! It's a sickness ..

Have thousands of car adverts, newspaper headline posters and newspaper adverts.

Lots of rare stuff but find that it just sits in cupboards and never sees the light of day.

New hobby .. slowly starting to sell the stuff. I have enough to keep selling for years and years ..  😔

20210621_180922.jpg

20210621_181257.jpg

@Fishcop I understand the CBF/at a crossroads thing mate. Been there, done that with quite a few things in life like motorcycles, racing them, karting and other sports etc, and that's kinda how I am with the Porsche at the moment...just can't be bothered. Yes you are weird...spiders can get @#$/^&! 

I still play guitar most days, though not gigging anymore, as that basically became a busy job that took the fun out of playing in pubs etc. Need to find a new hobby

3 minutes ago, LeeM said:

@Fishcop I understand the CBF/at a crossroads thing mate. Been there, done that with quite a few things in life like motorcycles, racing them, karting and other sports etc, and that's kinda how I am with the Porsche at the moment...just can't be bothered. Yes you are weird...spiders can get @#$/^&! 

I still play guitar most days, though not gigging anymore, as that basically became a busy job that took the fun out of playing in pubs etc. Need to find a new hobby

I hit 'Maximum Porsche' not long after visiting 2015's Rennsport event in the USA - nowhere will you ever see more Porsche in one space at one time!  A work/lifestyle relocation to the beach at Port Macquarie had me even less engaged in Porsches and I sold my early cars for a break and house renos.  The 996 has genuinely refreshed my enthusiasm as it is such a cracking driver without the constant fettling required to keep a cranky old car happy - I know you've considered a 996, and I really can recommend the change.

I sense the presence of retired people !  

all my hobbies are on hiatus while working and parenting takes place.  There’s a bit of time for porsching and exercise related pursuits but that’s about it.  Currently teaching myself graphics programs to play around and decide if changing the house is worth it.  Or just sell and buy something with enough space for hobbies.

Always been active my whole life with sport of some kind.

My one true passion was and still is rock climbing. So much so that after Uni I went full time for a number of years. Worked at an indoor wall to eke out enough money to travel frequently in Vic and interstate, plus a couple of 6+ month trips to Europe and the USA; living a dirtbag existence and just climbing. 

During that time also did well in the competition scene being ranked 2nd in Australia for a few years. Also competed internationally at both the US Nationals and a Birmingham round of the World cup. Unfortunately during a heavy training cycle preparing to head back to Europe to compete in the whole World Cup season the following year I wrecked both my elbows, so was physically forced to officially retire back in 98.

Couldn't climb at all for a few years and tried filling the void with other sports. Surfing then settled on triathlons. When I wore myself down and faced with constant running issues  (seeing a pattern here) I focussed on bicycle racing.  Did okay here as a Master's athlete including a few State titles. Also included leading my age category in the national Cyclo-cross series back in 2015, though didn't fly to race the last round in SA as my wife was diagnosed with cancer just prior and was the last time I raced. Lost much of the motivation to even ride now, going many months at a time without going for a ride on one of my many bikes.

After a few years not being able to touch rock at all when I was forced to retire, my elbows started to tolerate infrequent easy sessions. Took a bit to accept I couldn't train hard like before and push the grades (climbs outdoors.are graded in difficulty) and just enjoy moving over stone again.

Been my mental outlet after loosing my wife to the cancer, and one of the few things to get me out of the house and into the bush just bouldering by myself. Since I still try to get out for half a day climbing most weekends.

Pictured below I'm on a classic boulder problem at Hueco Tanks Texas in 97. Back when I still had a full head of hair and was 15kg lighter!

Martin3l.jpg.2da918e6b4a0a8d5795689fbc4d90592.jpg

Tough gig @Dalai 

I'm always in awe of free climbers. The mental and physical challenges must be huge, so I imagine how tough it would have been with what you went through. I recently watched a doco on that American free climber, Alex Honnold. Off his chops that bloke! 

I've tried the indoor climbing a few times in the past and would have liked to have another go, but my dicky knee gives up after walking from one end of Bunnings to the other (plus a left foot and toes I smashed to bits from a bike racing crash doesnt help there), so any sport is not a possibility for me unless I get an operation, which I can't really afford, so it's knee braces and anti inflammatories for me 😅 

Motorbike injuries would curtail most sports!

Beyond impressive what Alex does! I used to enjoy soloing a bit, but nothing even remotely as extreme as what he does!

Unlike roped climbing which is actually relatively safe if experienced, soloing does draw you in though even knowing the higher risk with one slip being fatal. Moving quickly over stone, not needing to place the gear or manage ropes as you work with your climbing partner to both make your way higher. Soloing is just you reading the sequence and when it clicks is a dream like flow state!

mal911, it's an addiction! After starting and stopping briefly back in the 90's I made it my new years resolution to get my Pilots Licence. I solo'd yesterday for the first time. I absolutely love it. My wife is amazed I found a hobby more expensive than a Porsche! (but very supportive)

IMG_4783.jpg?width=285&height=175&crop=f

15 hours ago, Fishcop said:

I do enjoy a bit of backyard hunting (long story, but these Hadronyche macquariensis are a part of a work project) - you'd be amazed how cathartic coaxing these things out of their holes is... I think I'm weirder as I get older, but I'm learning I care less :D

This is the stuff that fills my nightmares!!! 😱

8 minutes ago, Barks said:

I solo'd yesterday for the first time. I absolutely love it.

Congrats mate, that's a great achievement 👏👏👏

8 minutes ago, pocketscience said:

This is the stuff that fills my nightmares!!! 😱

Yyyyyyep!!

@Dalai - inspiring stuff mate! I used to climb a lot when I was younger. Really enjoyed the freedom and challenge of it. I've still got all my gear, and can't bare to chuck it, even though I'd never climb on it now. Taekwondo took over for me a few years back when my young son decided to give it a go. It's been the best father/son thing and we're both black belts now. We travelled to Korea in 2019 to train at a martial arts university (Yongin) outside of Seoul for a few weeks - training against 18yo's who live and breathe this stuff every day was incredible. I competed at the PanPac Masters in 2018 and picked up a few medals, but can't see myself heading there this year unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, pocketscience said:

@Dalai - inspiring stuff mate! I used to climb a lot when I was younger. Really enjoyed the freedom and challenge of it. I've still got all my gear, and can't bare to chuck it, even though I'd never climb on it now. Taekwondo took over for me a few years back when my young son decided to give it a go. It's been the best father/son thing and we're both black belts now. We travelled to Korea in 2019 to train at a martial arts university (Yongin) outside of Seoul for a few weeks - training against 18yo's who live and breathe this stuff every day was incredible. I competed at the PanPac Masters in 2018 and picked up a few medals, but can't see myself heading there this year unfortunately.

Seriously dude .. now we’ve got Bruce Lee and Son as well! ..

Did you not see me in the corner crying with my paper stuff?? ... 😭