Hobbies etc. What else do you do for fun?

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

Seriously dude ..

It's never too late!

It's a great release and if you are that way inclined, an awesome discipline and great way to feel energised. My wife tells me the people I train with have anger management issues :Chuckle2: I think she is trying to tell me something :Innocent:

I am quite sure there would be a multitude of available disciplines close to you. So just choose one that you see yourself with, make a decision and commit ;)

One of my favourite posters says 'A Black Belt is a White Belt who never quit '

@Dalai - Respect brother

3 hours ago, Barks said:

mal911, it's an addiction! After starting and stopping briefly back in the 90's I made it my new years resolution to get my Pilots Licence. I solo'd yesterday for the first time. I absolutely love it. My wife is amazed I found a hobby more expensive than a Porsche! (but very supportive)

IMG_4783.jpg?width=285&height=175&crop=f

congratulations on the 1st solo a flight you will never forget😀

just like yourself my wife is also very supportive of my hobby however she has never seen the invoices for the aircraft🙄

cool looking plane (martini inspired graphics) 

Nice bikes @Yeatesy I think there are a few cyclists on the forum.

As mentioned I got really into my riding and had a good run for a few years heading to Europe and North America to hit the cols each year. Would love to head back and repeat in a Porsche one day!

Mt Ventoux France. Just short of the  memorial for Tom Simpson who died there racing the Tour de france in 1967.

1091925547_20110911OnMontVentoux.JPG.e3782e993232ef25ee555bb42db5898a.JPG

Col Agnel summit border between France and Italy

1821587315_20110905ColAgnel.JPG.c3aef2fa753e2ad460a5c59c1534991b.JPG

Needs no introduction. Rode both sides of the Stelvio day one and Mortirolo and Gavia the following day

1419461592_StelvioTopPratoside.JPG.c501baf4b8704d0bfea873c209c73baa.JPG

Underappreciated and equally good as the cols in Europe are those in North America. Highest paved roads I have ridden were Mt Evan's at 4348m and Pikes Peak at 4302m above sea level. The later is one of the toughest I've done as it is steep and a good stretch over 10% near the summit where the air is thin!

1376136280_PikesPeak.thumb.JPG.6ba68560de3fd95700952189ebbe0bd0.JPG

24 minutes ago, Dalai said:

1419461592_StelvioTopPratoside.JPG.c501baf4b8704d0bfea873c209c73baa.JPG

Underappreciated and equally good as the cols in Europe are those in North America. Highest paved roads I have ridden were Mt Evan's at 4348m and Pikes Peak at 4302m above sea level. The later is one of the toughest I've done as it is steep and a good stretch over 10% near the summit where the air is thin!

1376136280_PikesPeak.thumb.JPG.6ba68560de3fd95700952189ebbe0bd0.JPG

Much quicker ways to get up Pikes Peak Martin 🙂  Ari Vatenen's "Climb Dance" video from 1990 is still some of the best motor sports footage I've ever seen.

Stelvio is a must do someday, but I will expend no where near as much effort and sweat as you mate!!!

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Much quicker ways to get up Pikes Peak Martin 🙂  Ari Vatenen's "Climb Dance" video from 1990 is still some of the best motor sports footage I've ever seen.

Stelvio is a must do someday, but I will expend no where near as much effort and sweat as you mate!!!

I've watched "Climb Dance" more times than I can remember! Friends I stayed with for the one night passing through on that trip live just a little further up the road from the turn off to Pikes Peak. It looms above their house with a great view of it from their living room window. Been meaning to get in touch with them when we can travel again to organise going there the weekend of the event to watch!

Stelvio is an amazing climb, though I have heard it's a bit of a circus mid Summer. I can't confirm as I went right at the end of the season so roads were nice and quiet. I climbed the more famous Passo della Stelvio from Prato with its 48 hairpins after first climbing it from Bormio. I made my way to the base of the Prato side by reversing the last few kilometers and dropped down into the valley via the Umbrail pass looping around the base clockwise.

You get a full view of the remaining switchback section from the Berghotel Franzenshöhe visible in the saddle in my photo from the summit. This can be a great thing if still feeling great or demoralizing if exhausted, as it is still 7km to the summit offering nowhere to hide! Hitting it next time in a Porsche would be sublime, but still a workout!

Great topic, so impressed with all the fitness guru's !!! Those mountains make me tired just thinking about it & I'm still dreaming about those damn spiders....ha ha....my non Porsche hobby brings together a couple of things that I love. A long road trip, camping, the outback & SALT LAKE RACING....

Salt Road.jpg

Salt Camp.jpg

Salt Scene.jpg

Salt Car.jpg

Travel has put a real stop on lot's of my hobbies but still taking up some old ones which include the kids these days . Was a real keen surfer but more so pushing kids into waves these days  , Snowboarding been a real passion for more than a few decades but overseas travel has stopped that for a while  . Love to get out the Mountain Bike weekly did compete downhill racing in the 90s but still love it Road Racing was a strong hobbies  for some time but more so Dirt bikes these days which also involves taking kids away riding .

Still love to get away on the Adventure Bike but more so in Australia these days but have a New Zealand trip planned at the end of year so hopefully will still go ahead 

A7F823DB-0C6A-4360-88CE-8A35011486B7.jpeg

F18FE71C-29AF-4792-B137-15631B047E40.jpeg

50C4D498-CCA9-43A1-B367-7A67551C317B.jpeg

7F62BF48-9725-422B-B820-324886F822D9.jpeg

E9108CD1-E055-4E8E-8F31-45937BEBA6B5.jpeg

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Is that a "thing"?  Never knew that.  How is the course defined, witches hats etc???

Yep , it’s a thing.  Mate in Darwin runs a super charged BMW based bike. 

4 hours ago, Dalai said:

I've watched "Climb Dance" more times than I can remember! Friends I stayed with for the one night passing through on that trip live just a little further up the road from the turn off to Pikes Peak. It looms above their house with a great view of it from their living room window. Been meaning to get in touch with them when we can travel again to organise going there the weekend of the event to watch!

Stelvio is an amazing climb, though I have heard it's a bit of a circus mid Summer. I can't confirm as I went right at the end of the season so roads were nice and quiet. I climbed the more famous Passo della Stelvio from Prato with its 48 hairpins after first climbing it from Bormio. I made my way to the base of the Prato side by reversing the last few kilometers and dropped down into the valley via the Umbrail pass looping around the base clockwise.

You get a full view of the remaining switchback section from the Berghotel Franzenshöhe visible in the saddle in my photo from the summit. This can be a great thing if still feeling great or demoralizing if exhausted, as it is still 7km to the summit offering nowhere to hide! Hitting it next time in a Porsche would be sublime, but still a workout!

I was lucky enough to have a belt up the Stelvio but did it a little more easier than yourself 

3822BF04-C979-4338-82A3-10A0E9B68E09.jpeg

5EB168A8-3414-4DD3-ACA9-A45180AF9EE7.jpeg

nice to see what everyone is enjoying. We lost our Macan 4 months ago, but 4 of us got to live, so havent felt like catching up with the forum for a while.

100km t bar. Needed a 'full body replacement' aka, a right off.

macan2.thumb.jpg.f61bc9b8890d24b344222e77fb559aff.jpg

Anyhow, boat is back in the water, and a good  sail fixes most things.Stay safe fellas

macan1.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

port side.jpg

Jeez @deano that's a helluva whack! Glad you're all ok 👍

Nice boat too

1 minute ago, wilson59 said:

I think it’s a Soda Stream Lee 

Of course...silly me. Kym needs that for the shed, but fill it with scotch and beer 👍

11 minutes ago, tomo said:

Is it a Kryptonite stabilizer for superman?

Close - Just automotive coolant actually.... Not for the antifreeze properties, it is for anti-corrosion of the radiators and metal fittings etc.

30 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Mining Crypto Costas???????

Nah - Mining with a PC at home does not make sense due to the cost of power.

I have always had an interest in pushing the limits of PC's and this build was just an artistic exercise - Wanted something that looked a tad different from your run of the mill desktop PC.

Apart from the aesthetics - Main design criteria was to have an extremely quiet PC (quieter than many laptops actually). Fans run at almost sub-audible level and due to the 3x radiators housed within, cooling capacity is huge.

4 hours ago, pocketscience said:

My various sporting activities are really only a cover so I can eat good food and drink.. including Japanese whiskey's.. 🥃

Whilst not 'elite fit' anymore, my day-job still keeps me roughly in whisky credit.  Nothing like a 6km hike up and down 20o hills, cambering over slash, and fighting the weather just to count trees, phascogales, and bandicoots (who love those tasty funnel webs ;) ). 

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg