Thoughts on current market?

2 hours ago, FiftyH said:

thats because people do that to re-generate interest in the ad as it re-appears on buyers saved searches etc.  its all just sales tactics.  I for one have never seen so many GT3s for sale at once, i dont think the market will hold up for much longer. 

Seen that many Gt3's before never seen that many 997.2 GT3 's for sale at one time 

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

Seen that many Gt3's before never seen that many 997.2 GT3 's for sale at one time 

One at Porscheden was a great deal. Someone already got hold of it. !

The yellow one from Richmond's is  hot. 

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

I think the potato head guy who runs the Duttons cafe got that car from Porschaden. What was the ask on it? Looked nice in the window! 

I think mid 300’s (sold at full ask).

Good cars appear to be moving, there are just so many overpriced listings at the moment 

I sold my Cayman 2006 manual S for $72 k, it had 25,000k on it, a very nice car,  Looked around for a replacement, took a MX5 RF 2017 for drive and bought one for $36k.

So it handled better, the build quality was better, a far better manual 6 speed gearbox ( no bloody cables), roof retraction system superb,  no extended plumbing to a remote radiator simple servicing ,and half the price. Not quite as quick but lighter.

So  yes the market is well over priced for any Porsche ATM. The Cayman was not my first Porsche, two Boxsters and a 911 before it.

8 hours ago, Howe said:

I sold my Cayman 2006 manual S for $72 k, it had 25,000k on it, a very nice car,  Looked around for a replacement, took a MX5 RF 2017 for drive and bought one for $36k.

So it handled better, the build quality was better, a far better manual 6 speed gearbox ( no bloody cables), roof retraction system superb,  no extended plumbing to a remote radiator simple servicing ,and half the price. Not quite as quick but lighter.

So  yes the market is well over priced for any Porsche ATM. The Cayman was not my first Porsche, two Boxsters and a 911 before it.

I did a similar thing. Sold my 2006 Cayman S manual and bought a new 2022 MX-5 Roadster for $41,000 

Wouldn’t a more direct comparison to the Cayman be the new BRZ/ GR86. I have taken one for a drive and was suitably impressed ( at 1/3 the price of my 997😳)The RF MX5 I drove last year was good but being 6’2” my knees rubbed on the dashboard and was cramped overall. 

Maybe I'm too Porsche biased, yet I'm not sure how anyone can compare an MX5 or any Jap car to any Porsche model, as they're completely different cars. Yeah it's half the price, handles better etc etc, but it isn't a Porsche.

I understand the price difference, and fair enough if you can't justify spending $60, 100, 200k over a $30k Jap car, but if you want a Porsche, you buy a Porsche and have to pay the entry price. If you want a better handling car and don't care about what it is, then you buy something else.

A tuned WRX I've driven that I could have (should have) bought for 11 grand a few years ago would absolutely hose anything I've driven...but it isn't a Porsche. If I want to drive at 10/10ths and be king of the hills, I'll buy a Jap car for 10 grand and tune the shit out of it.

On 28/08/2022 at 11:08, LeeM said:

Maybe I'm too Porsche biased, yet I'm not sure how anyone can compare an MX5 or any Jap car to any Porsche model, as they're completely different cars. Yeah it's half the price, handles better etc etc, but it isn't a Porsche.

I understand the price difference, and fair enough if you can't justify spending $60, 100, 200k over a $30k Jap car, but if you want a Porsche, you buy a Porsche and have to pay the entry price. If you want a better handling car and don't care about what it is, then you buy something else.

A tuned WRX I've driven that I could have (should have) bought for 11 grand a few years ago would absolutely hose anything I've driven...but it isn't a Porsche. If I want to drive at 10/10ths and be king of the hills, I'll buy a Jap car for 10 grand and tune the shit out of it.

Also, you're not comparing apples with apples. The Cayman new is a lot more than the MX5 new, so different leagues. And resale will always be better on the Porsche

Porsche don't miss you with the MY23 price increases. Not sure if this will have an effect on used values.

Driveaway in the config, with no options :

Base carrera $283K

Carrera S $323K

GTS $362k

All with probably a 18-24 month wait and probably another $20k+ price increase  whilst you wait. 

4 hours ago, Oldknees said:

Porsche don't miss you with the MY23 price increases. Not sure if this will have an effect on used values.

Base carrera $283K

Carrera S $323K

GTS $362k

All with probably a 18-24 month wait and probably another $20k+ price increase  whilst you wait. 

Yep, I reckon the base car is the pick here, it's not like any of them are track cars, so the extra power isn't really necessary.  Near $100k to go from base to GTS, that's an awful lot of option boxes ticked.

I agree. Unless your tracking every day of the week - base (for me ) is the way to go.

I'm also sceptical of adding sports chrono & sports exhaust. Cost a lot of $ for those if you only use them occasionally. Remember every option costs another 43% (33 LCT & 10% GST). 

12 minutes ago, HWY said:

I guess you could drive a pure electric car and get loads of money back from Albo....  And pay minimal road usage taxes!! 

Yeah, Nah   I will wait a bit longer even though the wife loves the hybrid.

Coming to a state near you soon: hefty road usage taxes, and huge electricity hikes beyond what we've already experienced. Winning!

5 hours ago, Oldknees said:

Seriously this is part of their business model now. I don't know about anyone else but I'm done.

5 hours ago, Oldknees said:

Base carrera $283K

Carrera S $323K

GTS $362k

The GTS gets a handful of extras as standard which if optioned on standard brings the pricing much closer.

54 minutes ago, Oldknees said:

I agree. Unless your tracking every day of the week - base (for me ) is the way to go.

I'm also sceptical of adding sports chrono & sports exhaust. Cost a lot of $ for those if you only use them occasionally. Remember every option costs another 43% (33 LCT & 10% GST). 

26 minutes ago, HWY said:

I never believe the line the salespeople give saying you will get your money back as highly optioned cars are more desirable when you decide to sell.  Load of hogwash.

In the Porsche world there are certain options that can help sell your car faster, but not ones that substantially pay you back their initial outlay.

GT cars with CS package for example. Might help you move sooner, unlikely to get any extra money back.