Looking for Motorkhana tips

AndrewM

HI all,

Am taking part in the Porsche Club NSW Motorkhana Events this year, and wondering if anyone had tips? (Porsche 996.1 C2)

For example, are handbrake turns worth it in a 911, or is it better just to stomp the loud pedal on entry in a corner to flick the rear end? (For those of us who still have real hand brakes and no traction control). I am thinking handbrake turn may work well for the cones where you need to complete a 180 or even a 270 degree turn, however not sure whether the time clutched in is worth it...

Is it better to steer around cones with the throttle, or just eep a steady speed and use the steering wheel.

What makes this really hard is that you only have less than 40 seconds per run, are trying to remember the course and then need to try and work out what is quicker!
Would love if anyone has any book recommendations too!

Grateful for any tips!

Thanks, Andrew

My tips are:

1) Make sure you have a good navigator

2) Walk each layout with your navigator for all the available time.

3) Have your navigator tell you the directions as you walk the circuit and repeat them back to them.  This will get you into the habit of listening to your navigator without question as you don't have time when driving to debate and you repeating it back will start embedding some of the course into your brain.

4) if you are going to use your handbrake you could try the old school rally technique.  Take a 50 cent or 20 cent coin, use it to depress your handbrake button and then use tape to hold the button in the depressed position.  This means then that you have a handbrake that will engage and disengage just by lifting and dropping the handle without worrying about the button.

5)  Wear driving gloves if you have them as every tenth of a second counts and you don't want to be slipping on the steering wheel.

Make sure you have transferred  the weight (down force) to the front so it will turn and be very patient on throttle application on exit. I see lots of people give it throttle in the turn and under steer all the way around. If it’s under steering get out of the throttle. Don’t bother with any handbrake shenanigans.   Understeer is your enemy. 

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

Make sure you have transferred  the weight (down force) to the front so it will turn and be very patient on throttle application on exit. I see lots of people give it throttle in the turn and under steer all the way around. If it’s under steering get out of the throttle. Don’t bother with any handbrake shenanigans.   Understeer is your enemy. 

Wise words Here's me years ago  Sometime's the slower it looks the faster you are

Thanks for all the tips!

And happy to hear that the handbrake doesn't seem to add much if not even make things worse, so definitely a big plus for not using it! Also saves the risk of wear and tear on the clutch and transmission, trying to get the power back on quickly after the turn!

I agree with everyone here, forget the handbrake, I tried it many years ago and its costs a lot of time. Redacn is spot on, make sure you transfer the weight by braking before you start your turn. We use to do a walk through of each new pattern in NSW but it was just taking up too much time as we went past 4pm on a few occasions. Don't go first, sit and watch other competitors to get that map to sink it. In the past I use to wait until near the end as you can get 2 goes within a few minutes instead of waiting in line for 25 minutes if there is a queue. 

getting specific, look at the map and treat it like a race track, look at what turns would benefit from going wide and which ones need you to go shallow. This usually depends on where the next cone is situated. 

If your really serious, look at what tires the top guys are running. It makes a big difference. NSW have run the motorkhana in the wet for some years. Soft R specs use to be the go for the old dry setups but that seems to have changed with the all wet patterns.

Setup, turn in is really important. We run the car with 2-2.5 degrees ned on the front with a lot of toe out. This promoted the car to really turn in. 

On the rear we run only -0.5 with only a slight bit of toe in. This works really well as its best for the initial launch and it looses a little bit of traction in a turn promoting a little bit of rotation. 

add a little bit of banter to your competition, adds to the pressure 😄

Regards

Sean

7 hours ago, 3legs said:

Didn't help you in the hills a few years ago Lee 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry mate, I couldn't help myself 😂

Oh look...a smartass! 😅 🖕

That was a combination of road conditions, and quite possibly a pinch of stupidity...well, maybe not the road conditions part  🤦‍♂️

(I'd already exited the corner though...Smartass 😉)

• 1 month later...
On 22/02/2023 at 08:33, Buchanan Automotive said:

Don't go first, sit and watch other competitors to get that map to sink it. In the past I use to wait until near the end as you can get 2 goes within a few minutes instead of waiting in line for 25 minutes if there is a queue. 

This ^^^^^ and he should know. He is a GUN.

Hi Sean 👋....

I miss the old days of the PCNSW MK's. I personally loved the handbrake. When I got it right - was hard to beat. 

Some massive power tools - but generally a bunch of nice ppl!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...