Singer Turbo in Melbourne Scam or truth

tomo

There is is no doubt about Singer’s attention to detail but I think they have taken the aggressive, raw look away from the 930/964.  Yes, it’s clean and probably more aerodynamic but there are things about the car that are puzzling, like all the rounding and smoothing of surfaces but they kept the rain gutters…

and the front looks like a wide mouthed frog 🐸 

I read somewhere that there was a lot of interest from prospective and existing Singer clients to create the Turbo study, as some prefer the 'old school' look than the full biscuit 'normal' Singer. Same deal with the bonkers DLS. 

Know what I'd be buying if I was that cashed up, and it wouldn't be the Turbo study.

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Not a fan of the Turbo (Singer), but each to their own. Its a shame they weren't able (didn't want?) to make more DLS.

Even at the astronomical price of the DLS, I really think it is worthy of the premium, as it is such a special car. I think they are mad for not continuing production of them. 

The original 'Classic' Singer is still a beautiful, and special thing. Now they they are only offering the Turbo, which personally doesn't really excite me that much, could prove to be a poor business decision for them moving forward...

I appreciate all the design work and execution that Singer do and as an exercise I love & admire it. In reality though, as a buyer, unless you already have a pretty fine collection of Porsches already, what role do these cars play in a collection? Cars & Coffee bragging rights? Most expensive pee pee contest? Anyone other than Chris Harris skidding them about?  

1 hour ago, MFX said:

To be honest, if it was $2m that had to be spent on just one car. I am not sure what else I would take over a DLS (although I believe they are £2m not $). 

You've got to be playing in a completely different level of money to spend $3M AUD on a car that ostensibly is for driving, not collecting.

16 minutes ago, GT3MEZ said:

^ I agree 100%.

Anything else offering the performance/driving/ownership experience of a DLS is for me, WAY to flashy. There is not other car I'd buy that for that sort of money tbh.

$2m not GBP as I understood.

Supposedly $2.8M AUD including tax (and that'd be subject to currency fluctuations).

I s'pose when you look at all these mega high end wanky cars like Bugatti, Pagani, Koenisssgezehggshjjfg etc, the builders know there's a market for exclusivity and they capitalise on that. 

I mean who really buys a $2-4-5-70m car? A fraction of owners might drive the shit out of them, but for most it's not about the driving experience. Do many buy this type of thing for practicality? Of course not, it's mostly just a pure display of wealth (fair enough) and rolling up to a reserved parking spot in Monaco with a supermodel, or at the Woolies carpark for CnC.

I know if I was in the realms of wealth to be able to afford a DLS, I'd be throwing cash at Singer

4 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

Not sure if its possible within the $2m budget but a 962 converted to road going would be my ultimate.

Vern Schuppan an Adelade local built 6 of the road going version called the 962 CR back in the 80tys and there price tag was 1.5 million US each,  Hate too think what they would cost today.

12 minutes ago, tomo said:

Vern Schuppan an Adelade local built 6 of the road going version called the 962 CR back in the 80tys and there price tag was 1.5 million US each,  Hate too think what they would cost today.

That's it, something looking like this:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/11/porsche-962c-prowls-the-streets/