Lotus Emira - owners and discussion

I’m waiting on some more emira gt4 info. Will post back here. The spicy road going one’s sound good too. I’d like to see the 4cyl go in the track versio.  Sounds like that engine had more potential that the Toyota 6cyl which I think tops out at 430hp

Even though I only had a short test drive before buying one, I did come away with one distinct impression that surprised me...and that was how light the front end felt. There was a definite feeling of the car carrying much of its weight behind you. Indeed, the car felt as if it would like to be driven on its nose just like a 911. I expected it to feel a little more balanced weight-wise like my 718 GTS 4.0l.

So I went home and looked up the weight distribution numbers and sure enough...the weight distribution is much closer to a 911 than a 718! In fact it's worse than a 911. A big surprise.

Emira is 38% front/ 62% rear
911 is 40% front / 60% rear
718 is 44% front / 56% rear

That Toyota engine plus supercharger must be one heavy lump. And probably explains why the Emira is more prone to understeer towards the limit. Still looking forward to it very much though.

5 hours ago, WGA said:

At $300,000 (ex factory) and excluding freight, import duty and GST, wouldn't a GT4 Clubsport be a more reliable option than an Emira GT4? 

Seen the asking on a 718 RS clubsport? Considering PC Brighton want $330 for a used 718 clubsport. The lotus seems value. But hard to tell without confirmed specs. They will have more for me post goodwood. 

10 minutes ago, WGA said:
Even though I only had a short test drive before buying one, I did come away with one distinct impression that surprised me...and that was how light the front end felt. There was a definite feeling of the car carrying much of its weight behind you. Indeed, the car felt as if it would like to be driven on its nose just like a 911. I expected it to feel a little more balanced weight-wise like my 718 GTS 4.0l.

So I went home and looked up the weight distribution numbers and sure enough...the weight distribution is much closer to a 911 than a 718! In fact it's worse than a 911. A big surprise.

Emira is 38% front/ 62% rear
911 is 40% front / 60% rear
718 is 44% front / 56% rear

That Toyota engine plus supercharger must be one heavy lump. And probably explains why the Emira is more prone to understeer towards the limit. Still looking forward to it very much though.

Well, how about that, I Just watched the Harry's Garage video and he points out the same weight distribution comparison.

I was following the Exige version of this car the other night at the track. I believe it is the same engine in the Emira. The car looked very nice, had a very nice sound and looked to handle well, but I thought it would have been faster given the 410hp vs my 370hp and it was a cool night. Is there an issue with heat soak or something with these cars?  Or maybe the numbers are a bit lower than they say? I have video footage if anyone is interested in viewing. 

21 hours ago, donR said:

I was following the Exige version of this car the other night at the track. I believe it is the same engine in the Emira. The car looked very nice, had a very nice sound and looked to handle well, but I thought it would have been faster given the 410hp vs my 370hp and it was a cool night. Is there an issue with heat soak or something with these cars?  Or maybe the numbers are a bit lower than they say? I have video footage if anyone is interested in viewing. 

My late wife, a very wise woman, could've told you what the issue is. 

She would say "Sometimes it is the arrow, and sometimes it is the Indian".

Bad luck. I picked up my car today. Already lots of comments on the looks of the car. One guy ran across the street to ask what it was and told me it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen.....BUT within the first 3 hours of ownership the TPMS has failed, a check engine light indicating a problem with the emissions plumbing and the parking sensors have all gone AWOL. So back to Lotus tomorrow morning for them to check it out. Hope this is just an initial delivery glitch and not a sign of things to come.

IMG_2811.jpeg

IMG_2813.jpeg

1 hour ago, WGA said:

Bad luck. I picked up my car today. Already lots of comments on the looks of the car. One guy ran across the street to ask what it was and told me it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen.....BUT within the first 3 hours of ownership the TPMS has failed, a check engine light indicating a problem with the emissions plumbing and the parking sensors have all gone AWOL. So back to Lotus tomorrow morning for them to check it out. Hope this is just an initial delivery glitch and not a sign of things to come.

IMG_2811.jpeg

IMG_2813.jpeg

Do not stress; and don't take heed of the Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious doom comments.  I've had my Elise for 26 years, have driven more track miles than road miles with it, enjoy it immensely even after all this time and can assure you that the old days of temperamental Brit cars are well behind Lotus.  BTW, had excellent service from Simply Sports Cars and am seriously tempted by the Emira. 

2 hours ago, WGA said:

IMG_2811.jpeg

IMG_2813.jpeg

If it’s any consolation I picked up a brand new 991.1 Carrera with 49 delivery klms, drove it home & back to the dealership next day with the AC on full heating all the way, couldn’t turn it off 😂😂😂. It took them a week to figure out the system (wiring & piping) was all arse about. They had to put an identical car on the hoist next to it & trace it all out to find the snaffu. No further problems.

14 minutes ago, tomo said:

You blokes know that a Chinese firm Geely builds them and Lotus are only consultants  to the builders. 

Not strictly correct; Lotus is owned by the Chinese company Geely but the cars are still built by a bunch of Turnip Farmers in Norfolk.  My understanding is that the Lotus SUV will probably be built in China.