Lotus Emira - owners and discussion

1 hour ago, sydr said:

Not strictly correct; Lotus is owned by the Chinese company Geely but the cars are still built by a bunch of Turnip Farmers in Norfolk.  My understanding is that the Lotus SUV will probably be built in China.

Just stirring the pot 😀

14 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Lots Of Touble Usually Serious 😂 

Pretty much applies to all European cars in my experience. If you want reliability buy Japanese.

15 hours ago, WGA said:

Bad luck. I picked up my car today. Already lots of comments on the looks of the car. One guy ran across the street to ask what it was and told me it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen.....BUT within the first 3 hours of ownership the TPMS has failed, a check engine light indicating a problem with the emissions plumbing and the parking sensors have all gone AWOL. So back to Lotus tomorrow morning for them to check it out. Hope this is just an initial delivery glitch and not a sign of things to come.

IMG_2808.MOV 26.26 MB · 3 downloads

IMG_2811.jpeg

IMG_2813.jpeg

First one I've seen in this colour and looks fantastic! Congrats 👍

Woke up this morning to drive the car to Lotus for them to check and, guess what, no errors...all gone. Just one of those momentary glitches....I hope.

Been taking some photos and I don't think there is a bad angle on this car.

And the colour changes quite a bit. Depending on the light, it goes from a burgundy to almost a candy apple.

IMG_2847.jpeg

That's a cracker colour @WGA. Congratulations.

With the errors, you may find the bits with the 'problem' may reset after a few hours of not being powered. Ava maybe they're stored anyway and can be read by the technician.

Go for another drive like you did the day they came on and see if you can bring them on again.... And then keep driving to Porsche 😃

On 09/06/2023 at 20:49, sydr said:

Not strictly correct; Lotus is owned by the Chinese company Geely but the cars are still built by a bunch of Turnip Farmers in Norfolk.  My understanding is that the Lotus SUV will probably be built in China.

Correct.

The Eletre will be built in China but all Emiras are built in the UK....which is potentially a handicap....because the POMS still cannot get electrics right.

My Emira has now had 4 different warning lights in the first two days. This afternoon it was  "engine reduced acceleration". And if you look at what has blighted other British brands (Aston Martin, Maclaren, Land Rover, Jaguar, etc) over the years, the no 1 issue has been bloody electronics.

Dare I say it that if they were built in China, the electronics would probably be more reliable.

Not the biggest fan of British cars, but I do wonder given the low volumes Lotus produces relative to the 911 whether they are forced to effectively do some of their beta testing with the customers as they cannot afford to build as many prototypes to be tested in all conditions as Porsche does with the 911.  Ultimately the price of something hand made in low volumes is reduced homogeneity car to car and some qualify control issues.  Hopefully as the cars are driven bugs appear and get resolved and after a while Lotus will be able to resolve them through software upgrades developed through their dealer network.  

In this day and age of technology etc, how on earth can a new car still have the bad electrical reputation that Lotus has had for donkeys years? 

Maybe I'm so far out of the loop or being too critical, yet as they are a smaller manufacturer, you'd think they'd have the facility (a.k.a brains) to be able to concentrate on providing a bang on product, not have their clients be basically test dummies and get annoyed with "Oh they're just gremlins, we'll sort it out". 

I know I'd be very unhappy if I just dropped a big wad of cash on a Lotus and there were problems with it

As I mentioned above, its not just Lotus...IMHO, its all British car manufacturs. Take Maclaren for example. The stuff that gives their owners huge grief is electrical related stuff - car won't start, getting locked in the car, numerous warning lights, etc, etc. Whereas their engines and drivetrains are pretty solid. Same with Aston Martin. And as for Jaguar...

I blame it on Lucas Electronics who shaped the British attitude towards electronics during the 60s and the 70s.. ie  "if it works 50% of the time...it's ok".

38 minutes ago, WGA said:

As I mentioned above, its not just Lotus...IMHO, its all British car manufacturs. Take Maclaren for example. The stuff that gives their owners huge grief is electrical related stuff - car won't start, getting locked in the car, numerous warning lights, etc, etc. Whereas their engines and drivetrains are pretty solid. Same with Aston Martin. And as for Jaguar...

I blame it on Lucas Electronics who shaped the British attitude towards electronics during the 60s and the 70s.. ie  "if it works 50% of the time...it's ok".

Same logic applies.  Mclaren makes about 4,000 cars per year across all its models whilst Porsche makes about 40,000 911's per year.

If you want a low volume bespoke car which has unique parts you will get bugs.  Sheer economics says McLaren cannot afford to make and test as many prototypes as Porsche nor does it have a vast number of other cars to share cost of electronics or a rich parent company.

To be fair, it's not as if my Porkers have been glitch free electrically or mechanically.

Ironically, my Cayenne is currently at the dealer with a TPMS problem and my GT3 Touring is going in because of PDK issue.

Not to mention the engine replacement in my 991.1 GT3!

I know it is sacrilege, but the Emira is a much better looking car.

Re: reliability, I bought a brand new Q5 that required two engine rebuilds in the first 9months. Multiple mercs with a litany of issues related to the DPF. Transmission issues in a different Merc. A Volvo that has repeatedly cracked hoses every 18months. Porsche with damaged leather from the factory. Don't get me started on VW products.

I run quite a few cars for work, all sold inside of 5 years, and the Euros are always the least reliable with the most issues.

3 hours ago, JB911 said:

A friend of mine recently returned his Maserati Levante to the dealer for a number of electronic issues, only to be told ...

"Sir, what do you expect, it's Italian" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Is that what Ferrari tells you when they catch on fire?

1 hour ago, Joz said:

Thoughts?

C’mon no secrets.

Haven’t driven either of them since last weekend and would like to put a few more km’s on each this weekend before commenting. Depending on weather, I plan run each one up to Red Hill and back on Saturday. 

Emira looks ace.

In terms of electronics, all  manufacturers are using the same components from Bosch, Denso, Delta, Conti etc etc.

Not sure why the country the vehicle is assembled in features in a reliability delta. 

14 hours ago, GT3MEZ said:

Emira looks ace.

In terms of electronics, all  manufacturers are using the same components from Bosch, Denso, Delta, Conti etc etc.

Not sure why the country the vehicle is assembled in features in a reliability delta. 

Don’t know myself, maybe the larger manufacturers spend a lot more time testing in pre production to iron out the gremlins. 

• 2 weeks later...