Do you guys still prefer forum or FB groups?

Anyone else getting frustrated by FB groups...?

looking at Porsche alone in Australia there are couple of them. It seems if you want to look for latest news or discussion you have to either be a member of all of them. The searching functionality sucks. TONS OF SPAMS (sorry for the shout but it's frustrating when I see post from India get posted randomly) 

Do you still prefer forum or FB groups (despite of the problem above)?

Forum definitely!!!  The way I see it, this forum seems to be populated by reasonably serious, knowledgable Porsche enthusiasts, with scammers weeded out quickly, whereas FB groups are a free for all. 

I'm a moderator of a FB Porsche marketplace group, where thankfully posts have to be approved before showing up.  You wouldn't believe (well you probably would!!) the shit that comes through.  I always look at the poster's FB profile, and there's relatively few with any history.  Most are new creations with a photo or 2, created very recently, or the profile is locked down.  I know that's what we're supposed to do for privacy and security reasons, but it makes it very hard if they are a genuine seller to determine that.  As it's an Australian market place group, I also tend to week out the overseas posters, some of whom may well be legit.....

I've been using forums since the 90s. I know I'm turning into a dinosaur but facebook groups are annoyingly disorganised and can be rife with scammers depending on the moderation.

I've tried to get into them before but I always end up giving up after at most a few weeks. Too much spam, no ability to filter the content out that you don't care for. Nothing categorised other than the overarching topic. Blergh.

Well, you are posing this question on a forum so likely that the favour will be towards a forum and if you asked on FB you’d likely get a different response! 

I do also use FB but like most social media platforms, it’s not designed for conversation. It’s just there for people to overshare (usually uninformed opinions and photos nobody cares about)…………and be have your feed filled up with algorithm based content that isn’t of anything relevant to you! 

Typically, if you want to engage in a helpful & meaningful discussion it’s likely that a forum will be a more useful platform. This particular forum has been an invaluable source of information & network connections for me, much more so than any of the SM platforms. 

We may be the dinosaurs but that’s totally fine by me and far more tolerable than most of the alternatives. I’m on here for the banter and typically IG for some pictorial indulgence, barely use FB these days as it’s becoming less relevant and more annoying by the min. 

I'm an admin/moderator on Classic Porsche Australia FB page  of which I created many years ago, and it was good when I had a manageable member count, as I could moderate it very easily by just booting dickheads and/or spammers out, yet once others copied my page to what it is now, it was a blessing in disguise, as there's so many fuckwits on there posting innate crap or links to their own car pages and events. 

I've started just deleting them without warning, and it's quite liberating when I do, as I know they're probably throwing a tanty and having a cry as they wallow in self pity 😅

Although I'm on Instagram far too much (and get banned regularly 😅), social media (FB, Instagram, Twitter etc) is the scourge of the world, and I swear it's mostly responsible for contributing to all the hate and division in the world we live in, and it's usually attributable to money.

To answer your question, forums for whatever you're interested in are MUCH better than any FB page I've been a member of, as they're moderated better and a lot less opinionated dickheads...unless it's me of course 😁

Classic Porsche Australia is the only FB group that is useful.  But even recently there is too much reposting shite from overseas on it IMHO.

Lee I reckon you should delete all that crap- if I want to see overseas resto-mods then I would search for it.  Yeah- FB blows hot air more than 90% of the time.

34 minutes ago, HWY said:

Classic Porsche Australia is the only FB group that is useful.  But even recently there is too much reposting shite from overseas on it IMHO.

Lee I reckon you should delete all that crap- if I want to see overseas resto-mods then I would search for it.  Yeah- FB blows hot air more than 90% of the time.

Otherwise know as #shitposting

2 hours ago, HWY said:

I hear ya mate, as I'm tired of it all too, and it's usually one clown in particular who keeps posting links to a private Porsche enthusiasts page, which I think he might be either admin or a moderator on (I deleted one of his posts less than an hour ago), or he's just a dickhead. I stalked his own page, and he does enjoy having a crack at other people, including me via personal message when I deleted one of his posts, so I reckon I might just delete him for shits n giggles 😁

You may have seen some of my admin posts about posting sale ads etc, so I reckon it's time to crack the whip 😁

I prefer a forum, for the main reason that I can go back and search for the shared knowledge of a particular cars issue. There are countless times I have had a problem on a car and searched for an answer. 99% of the time it sends me to an old forum post where someone else has had the same issue and following the thread I can sort through all of the posts to find the answer I was looking for. That is just one of the reasons I am sad forums are fading away.

@MFX if the membership is solid they really shouldn’t fade away.

Also I have found that forum groups tend to be more social for catchups. Or perhaps that’s just my anecdotal experience? 🤷‍♂️

The personal contacts help keep the community bonded, again just IMO

You're right with that @Joz

As long as there's a core member group (aka regulars) chiming in, there will always be the need for a forum.

If a forum gets too big like some VW forums (Aussieveedubbers and global The Samba), the personal element disappears, its a nightmare to make your way around the abundance of pages, plus you get a shedload more spam and scammers.

Re FB. I'm getting smashed with utter crap on my page this past week, yet my settings are basically anti crap, but they seem to decide what you want to see regardless of your settings

I'm an advocate for the forums as well. I'm on a few of the Porsche Facebook groups but imho there is far less substance to those posts and much harder to search for content. Far better detail on the forums, although the events can perhaps be organised better on Facebook. :)