993 Turbo prices pushing the envelope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The WA car is a nice example, owned by a enthusiastic Porsche guy who has two other 911's. Surprised to see it is still available.

Sales seem to have averaged one a month, those with asking prices in the range of $139,000 to $169,000 being those that have sold. The CTS Lintott ex race car being the lowest priced car that sold at $124,990, an aberration because of its history, together with the black low mileage car at $209,000 not finding a home.

Prices don't seem to be increasing, but nor are they falling. If the cars are standard, and lowish mileage, they sell. Modifications are not often seen, and don't help values no matter the cost.

Funny how none of those listed have ever been higher mileage cars, say over 120,000kms. Where have they all gone, or don't they exist?

I've always wondered what type of buyer purchases these very low mileage cars...as a generalization, collectors or show/display car owners seems to be the only logical answer.

I've always tried to buy the lowest mileage car possible, then I drive it. I think you're right though, the majority of people who buy low mileage cars seem to just park them in the shed/garage/museum/whatever and look at them occaisionally. There is a fair bit of pokemon that goes on with collectors of anything, 'gotta catch em all' - the second something is tracked down its onto the next acquisition. Its more about the thrill of the chase rather than actually owning the said item.

A member of my extended family has over 500 cars, and he operates pretty much how I've described. Buy, drive once (or maybe twice if he really likes it), store.

A member of my extended family has over 500 cars, and he operates pretty much how I've described. Buy, drive once (or maybe twice if he really likes it), store.

That's pretty hardcore and pathological behaviour! Does it cause distress?

That's pretty hardcore and pathological behaviour! Does it cause distress?

Are they stored properly? Breaks my heart when you see a bunch of cars stored in barns all rotting away. I'd rather own 5 and care for them, than 500 covered in dust and chook poo

Are they stored properly? Breaks my heart when you see a bunch of cars stored in barns all rotting away. I'd rather own 5 and care for them, than 500 covered in dust and chook poo

Ah , but the value of 500 cars found in a barn in 2034  ;)

Ah , but the value of 500 cars found in a barn in 2034  ;)

I imagine they'll be sold sooner than that, hes in his mid-70s now. They won't be 'found' either, people know about the collection and a few in the 'industry' know largely what it is comprised of.

Anything particularly valuable is stored in a bubble on a battery tender, and the tyres are kept inflated. All the valuable stuff is kicked over once a month generally too. They aren't rotting away.

No need to get too excited though, he doesn't own a single Porsche. He had a 911 in the late 60s, didn't like it, and has never bought another one.

• 3 weeks later...

What a shame that RS clone wasnt around when I bought my RS. That steering wheel alone is worth the price of admission, to say nothing of the boom box, TV, and red interior highlights. Sensational value at 50 cents in the dollar. Wont last long.

Another Turbo is now on the market, the Forest Green 1998 Turbo delivered to Michael Winkler, who was MD of Porsche Cars Australia until recently. A highly specced car, in a colour you will either love or hate, its at RSR Garage in Melbourne for $149,950.

I reckon no more than a week will see it sold.

Simon, that one has turned over a couple of times in the last few years.it was for sale privately for quite a while then Rob had it for sale 2 or so years ago at about 160 to 170k if my memory serves me right. For some reason I can remember stuff like that but cannot remember what happened yesterday.....

Not quite Chris.

The car was offered to me a couple of years ago when the owner of the time considered selling it but he had owned it for a while then.

He just sold it now.

Its a good car with a good history to the best of my knowledge. There is another similar car knocking around that causes the confusion I think.