Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

So...after some slightly frigid touring in the countryside the other week with my girlfriend in the cabriolet and a little more than optimal whingeing, I'm in the market for a Cayenne Turbo (among other things) as a country runabout, admittedly at the cheaper end of the spectrum (so, first generation).  I want something for raiding vineyards, taking the dog and gear to the farm and general tooling about.  Hence, a couple of calls with the owner of this:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-3932288&Cr=1

Caveat emptor!  I first spoke with the owner a couple of days ago.  I originally said I'd call tonight and make plans to see the car tomorrow.  On reflection, having been burnt more than a few times by misdescribed cars in far-flung locations (the last one being the somewhat shifty proprietor of a Mexican SC), I made a proposal to him: rather than my driving from Sydney to Yass on a wing and a prayer, I asked the owner to take some more pictures of the car tomorrow (Sunday) and, assuming all looked good, I would make arrangements for a PPI nest week, being that he take the car to Porsche Centre Canberra for a PPI.  After that, we could negotiate a deal (noting I am somewhat invested by this point and would have demonstrated my bona fides by investing in the PPI).  Given he has had this car for sale for months and months and I am a genuine buyer, I thought this sounded reasonable and probably even attractive.

It seems not!  My request for some more pictures was apparently too demanding.  For some reason (one can guess!?) an independent inspection was apparently a bridge too far (he is only an hour from Canberra) - he won't take the time to take the car there - 'a waste of his time'.  I put it out there that if that was an issue, perhaps he would be happy for me to do so (deposit payment assumed on my part) - this was also apparently offensive (I can understand this reluctance, though, however it isn't unheard of).

Ultimately I formed the view I would rather not do business with this character, under any circumstances.  The fact is that the kind of person who leaves panel damage on a vehicle like this probably hasn't looked after it the way it should be - to quote Ferris Bueller, 'A man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile'.  All indicators pointed to that from my first discussion, in retrospect.  So, I went with my gut and unceremoniously pulled the pin.  I also explained why in a text after our call, so the guy has it in black and white as to why his car remains on the market.

Apparently, the 'low ballers' he complained about in our first call aren't the impediment to a sale - he is!  That was a red flag too.

Just had to get that off my chest, as I find sellers like this a little bit infuriating.  How do they manage the other parts of their lives if they can't get this simple stuff right!?

PK

interesting one at HF. Apparently a 76 turbo. Upgraded 3.3, but Original engine comes with the car. Alot of other body and interior bits arent 76, so would have a bit of searching to get back to stock. Still, looks good

http://www.healeyfactory.com.au/listing/1976-porsche-911-turbo/

Looks like a low quality re-trim on that car...

Apparently, the 'low ballers' he complained about in our first call aren't the impediment to a sale - he is!  That was a red flag too.

Just had to get that off my chest, as I find sellers like this a little bit infuriating.  How do they manage the other parts of their lives if they can't get this simple stuff right!?

PK

Bloody annoying - I came across a few ass hat's looking for my car as well. Got past the sounding out stage with one guy in Melbourne, several calls, had cash ready to go and I asked him to drive the car to the next suburb as a friend of a friend was going to give it once over and then a nod to fly down and buy it. When I suggested this the guy basically said I can't be bothered ring my mechanic and that's all you need to know.....tosser....

Jim.

So...after some slightly frigid touring in the countryside the other week with my girlfriend in the cabriolet and a little more than optimal whingeing, I'm in the market for a Cayenne Turbo (among other things) as a country runabout, admittedly at the cheaper end of the spectrum (so, first generation).  I want something for raiding vineyards, taking the dog and gear to the farm and general tooling about.  Hence, a couple of calls with the owner of this:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-3932288&Cr=1

Caveat emptor!  I first spoke with the owner a couple of days ago.  I originally said I'd call tonight and make plans to see the car tomorrow.  On reflection, having been burnt more than a few times by misdescribed cars in far-flung locations (the last one being the somewhat shifty proprietor of a Mexican SC), I made a proposal to him: rather than my driving from Sydney to Yass on a wing and a prayer, I asked the owner to take some more pictures of the car tomorrow (Sunday) and, assuming all looked good, I would make arrangements for a PPI nest week, being that he take the car to Porsche Centre Canberra for a PPI.  After that, we could negotiate a deal (noting I am somewhat invested by this point and would have demonstrated my bona fides by investing in the PPI).  Given he has had this car for sale for months and months and I am a genuine buyer, I thought this sounded reasonable and probably even attractive.

It seems not!  My request for some more pictures was apparently too demanding.  For some reason (one can guess!?) an independent inspection was apparently a bridge too far (he is only an hour from Canberra) - he won't take the time to take the car there - 'a waste of his time'.  I put it out there that if that was an issue, perhaps he would be happy for me to do so (deposit payment assumed on my part) - this was also apparently offensive (I can understand this reluctance, though, however it isn't unheard of).

Ultimately I formed the view I would rather not do business with this character, under any circumstances.  The fact is that the kind of person who leaves panel damage on a vehicle like this probably hasn't looked after it the way it should be - to quote Ferris Bueller, 'A man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile'.  All indicators pointed to that from my first discussion, in retrospect.  So, I went with my gut and unceremoniously pulled the pin.  I also explained why in a text after our call, so the guy has it in black and white as to why his car remains on the market.

PK

I would have run too. A seller who doesn't want a PPI done on their car knows what's wrong with it. 

So...after some slightly frigid touring in the countryside the other week with my girlfriend in the cabriolet and a little more than optimal whingeing, I'm in the market for a Cayenne Turbo (among other things) as a country runabout, admittedly at the cheaper end of the spectrum (so, first generation).

PK

Not defending the guy, or saying you shouldn't get a PPI, but I can see how an early Cayenne owner is not necessarily a Porsche enthusiast or even a car enthusiast, and to them it's just a $20K used car, no big deal and they don't see what all the fuss is about.  A lot of regular car buyers would have never heard of getting a PPI and the idea of someone their car being taken away somewhere before it's paid for can seem quite dodgy.

So I've been absent a rather long time (And been rather injured over that time to boot).

Now that I'm nearly fully recovered I'm strongly considering getting into a Porsche now. 

In light of having a more practical and car that can be shared I'm looking at reasonable km 996s in auto around the 40k or sub 40k mark. Ideally the 996.2s.

Has anybody encountered any decent options in that market recently?

Check out this Porsche 911 Carrera.
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2002/SSE-AD-4714836

Is this owned by one of our members?

So I've been absent a rather long time (And been rather injured over that time to boot).

Now that I'm nearly fully recovered I'm strongly considering getting into a Porsche now. 

In light of having a more practical and car that can be shared I'm looking at reasonable km 996s in auto around the 40k or sub 40k mark. Ideally the 996.2s.

Has anybody encountered any decent options in that market recently?

Check out this Porsche 911 Carrera.
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2002/SSE-AD-4714836

Is this owned by one of our members?

Can't fault it too much other than it will need new engine mounts from how low the exhaust tips are hanging. 

Check out the Jake Raby video on YouTube where he goes over what to look for on a used 996.

Afternoon Gents

Hijacking the thread with a super "interesting" offer (surely it satisfies the entry requirement for the "what's...(in Australia) and interesting" thread) from an overly excitable PFA member...

Any help muchly appreciated.

Afternoon Gents

Hijacking the thread with a super "interesting" offer (surely it satisfies the entry requirement for the "what's...(in Australia) and interesting" thread) from an overly excitable PFA member...

Any help muchly appreciated.

Might as well be called the 'PFA bike' judging by the number of PFA'ers that have ridden that one mate ?

You know you want a black 930 to add to your stable, go for it....

didn't he just sell one?? Rumour has it a certain tyre kicker is kicking that one around..

lol was it sold to you?
If so, congrats!

great price. Couldn't resist. I have a 90 on my car at the moment. A wheel from the 70's sounded better