Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

d'oh.  I cannot explain that.  it even has Vic plates.

Now what is my excuse?

I do want a red one though.

Can you believe the minister for finance just gave me a berating...not for looking at Porsches or wanting to buy one but for being a tyre kicker.  Sheesh.  Something about 'not going to spend the next ten years hearing about cars that got away'.

she has a point though, you have been looking forever! lol

she has a point though, you have been looking forever! lol

Guilty. In my bag of excuses is a new addition to the clan, an unfavourable ato bill last year (new accountant has produced much improved results this year) and a flip-flopping on budget and minimum Porsche criteria (mpc).

Granted, they are all crap excuses but there you are.

d'oh.  I cannot explain that.  it even has Vic plates.

Now what is my excuse?

I do want a red one though.

Can you believe the minister for finance just gave me a berating...not for looking at Porsches or wanting to buy one but for being a tyre kicker.  Sheesh.  Something about 'not going to spend the next ten years hearing about cars that got away'.

That, gentlemen, is as good a definition of "keeper" as any!

If you'd seen 9er's (Chris) Carrera up close like I did recently, you would know why I want a 911!

Good to meet up with you Lee, I'm jealous of both your guitar playing ability and Motorbike riding ability. Hopefully you have inflation proofed yourself with that sweet (Black) 912 and I look forward to being of some use when you decide to go 911.

I have just remembered that a mate of mine in WA has an Oz delivered 1974 911 that he is going to sell when he gets back from holidays, it's probably $20K cheaper than the numbers we talked about on the Carrera and is "Mint".

Well Bruce Buchanan of Buchanan Automotive in Sydney has some very wise thoughts,  which  are well  worth crossposting here (from Landsharks)

Complex subject , but interesting & a reflexion of human wants & desires .After 37 years working on Porsche cars in Sydney ,I have noticed many interesting Porsche variations be it totally original or modified being sold to the next owner for large or small sums of money & again mainly based on perception 

First cab off the rank }   911 series ( pre galvanised bodies )  1965 to 1976  , even rusted out versions of these that need well over $ 150,000 + spent on them to make half decent ( read rust cut out , often new floors ) & new interior's  , full restoration in mechanicals ( engine, injection / carby replacements , trans , suspension , brakes ,rewire / harnesses + new lamps + new windows& seals & new brightwork  ) + full respray & refirbing the wheels  after being fully stripped 

These in pre restoration condition can still pull decent money , often changing hands multiple times because each new owner wakes up to the amount of money it takes to bring a poor one up to excellent ( wanted ) condition , so these ( in bad condition ) just keep changing owners , sometimes over & over for a decade or more ( read forever )

Note } recently ish  a member of the PCNSW purchased a pre galvanised 911 , only to find on Body strip down , the body / frame / car body had so much rust the body was an economic write-off ( extra funds needed ) to complete the project ,  he had to get another body , in this case a body from a post galvanised era

And no, after spending big money on one of these you will not get your'e money back if you had to sell , you do this sort of project in the same state of mind as if you are going to build a hot rod ( American hot rod ), meaning you do it because you always wanted to 

Just do the maths , buy a pre 73 911 ( cheap one/ rusty & worn out ) for say  $30,000 , then spend $ 150,000 to $190,000 to make her new in every detail  = $220,000 , maybe even $ 250,000 

It will be spectacular & its a great hobby if you have the money to get the important things done correctly , but it should not be driven , because she is now a show car & if you had to sell , you might get $ 75,000 

So this is all about being human & enjoying the work of art you have made possible 

Note } a non modified 1973 911 S  or a 1973 911RS  even in poor condition pulls massive money , but if they are not original ( modified ) then the value tumbles because of the non genuine nature ( very important in this market )

911 series 1978 - 1983 ( 911SC & 911 Turbo 3.3 )  , these are my favourite last century 911 ( only just ) , galvanised bodies ( thank god )  , 911SC engine with its K-jet ( like the 2.7 K - Jet ) was very suited to the 3.0L engine ( user friendly power spread ) but the 915 trans up to 1986 was ( looking back ) is lacking in user friendliness , meaning the G50 trans ( 1987 - 1989 ) was a big improvement in being user friendly  .

A non modified 911SC ( completely original as came from new & in excellent condition ) will often sell for nearly twice as much as a badly modified one ( meaning a poor body kit ) etc

A non modified 3.3 Turbo is the same , original sells for big money , but it has to be original in nearly every detail & a Garage Queen to pull the big money , but a modified one , like a heavily engine modified one we saw about two years ago sold for a lot less because of the expensive mods done to it 

964  911 series ( 1990 to 1993 /4 )  in manual trans ( original from new ) & non modified , these pull big money , even with lots of oil leaks ( these things love to leak oil in old age ) , the reason why they pull big money is because most were sold new as auto's ( Tiptronic 1991 - 1993/4) 

The same car as Tip = less than half the money = because there is a lot more of them & more supply than demand = less money it will sell for

The 964 C2 manual is my 2nd favourite 911 , not as complex as a 993 ( less hours needed to fix ) but a lot of fun to drive , but , the 964 is very unforgiving in hard cornering , one tiny little mistake by the human & its all over & because they have so much more HP & Torque compared to a 911SC its very easy to overdo it , because the 964 deals OK up to the point where it just lets go & there is no saving it , but saying that they are a great little sports car that must be driven with respect 

993 911 series ( 1995 - 1996/7)    A low km one of these ( coupe only ) as a manual = massive money , because so few of these were sold new ( they were not wanted new at all ) , just like the 928 manual , when new, the owner who is going to lease this expensive car wants an Auto Trans

The most common 993 is the 993 cabrio in tiptronic ( Auto trans) , there is a lot of these available & are cheap to buy & yes like the 964, the 993 engine is even worse at leaking even more oil from hundreds of places in old age & big money to fix ( I really like the 993 = lots of work needed in old age )

So an original non modified 911 ( these is more of these than you think ) in good garaged condition , meaning the paint is good to very good , same with the interior & runs well + minimal oil leaks , this 911 sells for twice as much as a modified one , because most people who want a 911 ( air cooled ) , want one as they see it on books & magazines & a modified one is not that one & they are more than happy to buy the one they want that they can see in their minds eye.

Pull my pud...( did i just say that?) I'm not sure who he's speaking too here but I reckon he's overstating things a bit. Though I haven't seen the rest of the thread on land sharks

Sure can cost a motza all agree - but it takes a lot less than 150k ++++ to make a Pre G series desirable.

$150k is a joke. If anyone pays that kind of coin ya need ya head read!

Pure opportunism and blatant 'P tax' at work there.

I dont care who ya are, theres no way that kind of money is justifiable for a resto!

Race prep with ALL the goodies and a full house motor by the Porsche factory maybe, but not a resto.

Apologies, but I get the narkys on when people rip others off. Shop around and save thousands

People with spare cash can and do pay ridiculous sums of money for full restorations. They just don't inhabit forums for the average guy , so you only hear about them via guys like Bruce. Once you factor in Aussie parts prices and labour plus high up front carcase price, $150k goes quickly. If you want a museum/concours effort.

Worth noting that not all pre gal bodied 911's require a 'full restoration' - a lot of them are still on the road and working fine. Agree that you could spend 150k but that's definitely the top end of the market for a very broad generalisation.

Tazzie,

You crack me up!

You know what you're doing, roll a grenade into the room and stand back.....LOL

(The context of the quote was obviously the pub with a bunch of 928 owners after they have all had half a dozen schooners each to lubricate the generalisations and poetic licence for a somewhat amusing tale!)

People with spare cash can and do pay ridiculous sums of money for full restorations. They just don't inhabit forums for the average guy , so you only hear about them via guys like Bruce. Once you factor in Aussie parts prices and labour plus high up front carcase price, $150k goes quickly. If you want a museum/concours effort.

Agree. Those who can, do.

The guy who bought my 964 earlier in the year took great pride in telling me he had several porsches including a cup car, 997 GT3RS, cayenne turbo. He once had a Porsche workshop in Melbourne build a 70s RS replica for track use and spent $130k doing so. Not sure what he started with and why he spent so much but he seemed pretty proud of himself. I think he said he sold it for $ 70k. I suspect he had enough cash to do whatever he wanted and, doing that sort of thing is one way to let everyone know how wealthy you are (wow, you must have a lot of money then.....!). The same guy who at one stage took offence at something I said and asked "don't you know who I am....." Just before I hung up. There are tossers in every community!

Tazzie,

You crack me up!

You know what you're doing, roll a grenade into the room and stand back.....LOL

(The context of the quote was obviously the pub with a bunch of 928 owners after they have all had half a dozen schooners each to lubricate the generalisations and poetic licence for a somewhat amusing tale!)

Grenade? Just like to watch how neurones operate.

928s owners are allowed their comeback to the one eyed 911-ees . Those with several completely different models in the stable can take a broad clinical view  ;)

I will say , I tend to listen to surgeons who've has operated for decades , over a couch surgeon who watches "House" or similar.

Now it's high time I got off this couch and go trolling for remoras!