Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Thankfully for the rest of us, there are people out there willing to spend $150k on a resto. I consider it  "preservation" and without it, the old girs would simply wither away and die. 

Imagine your were trying to restore something rare, say a 356 carrera wher ethe engine alone is $100k. Likewise for other rare and hard to find models and parts.

I've done a fair amount of reading on 356 and early 911 boards. The parts cost to properly restore these cars is enormous. Trying to find parts that maybe only had a short model life , or were not "backed up" on factory shelves for long , or have simply disappeared into the few remaining cars is a mammoth undertaking.

If you want class 1 , 1 = concours. Which is 50% more than class 2 =  good enough to win local shows. Which is a fair bit more than a good durable restoration/refurb to daily driver quality. Which in itself is not cheap,  if you do it properly!

Lots of "OEM" labelled parts are made in China and you can use Dulux not Glasurit paint.

If you are a concours type , you don't want to spend only $140,000 and come SECOND!

08d727c56412e178bcb21c36063f75e7_zps52cd

Peter M, I blame you that I am considering what the trade in value would be for the white one.

It's not Jim's ex car.  It's from SA.

It's white on black with a shade under 100k on the clock

Jim's 997 GT2 RS is for sale though.

That CTS 993 Turbo has the wrong wheels, front lenses and stereo Ben.

There is a set of 993 Turbo wheels advertised on PCV website. They might not be hollow spokes so you would need to weigh them before buying. They are usually quite expensive but those are priced well. Not sure about hte stereo but they are probably still a ailable from PCA.

The front lenses should be orange but most people prefer white anyway.

Good luck!

LOL, blame???? That's definitely the pot calling the kettle black!

True, isn't that what are mates for.

That CTS 993 Turbo has the wrong wheels, front lenses and stereo Ben.

There is a set of 993 Turbo wheels advertised on PCV website. They might not be hollow spokes so you would need to weigh them before buying. They are usually quite expensive but those are priced well. Not sure about hte stereo but they are probably still a ailable from PCA.

The front lenses should be orange but most people prefer white anyway.

Good luck!

Thanks Simon, with "993 Turbo prices pushing the envelope" it's a little out of my comfort zone at the moment.

There is a set of 993 Turbo wheels advertised on PCV website. They might not be hollow spokes so you would need to weigh them before buying. They are usually quite expensive but those are priced well.

For those interested I have those 993 Genuine Hollowspokes advertised, PM and can discuss pricing.

Putting it out there....what do people think the 'import discount' is?  What is the LHD discount?  Does it decrease over time - would anyone pay less for a 356 import vs Oz delivered?  What about a 997 import? 

Market values are very hard to work out with all the variables.

Putting it out there....what do people think the 'import discount' is?  What is the LHD discount?  Does it decrease over time - would anyone pay less for a 356 import vs Oz delivered?  What about a 997 import? 

A lot more than it should be for both. Especially if we are talking rust free west coast US cars. But yes, I reckon it does decrease over time. 

As I & others know , the RHD IB cars sport inferior driving positions , with the offset pedals.

But the market is dominated by people fearful of sitting on the "wrong" side and having to use their dominant hand to change gears.

True sporting drivers would embrace LHD. And LHD is "euro",  so that in itself is exotic and desirable , eh?

A lot more than it should be for both. Especially if we are talking rust free west coast US cars. But yes, I reckon it does decrease over time. 

What are we talking?  $10k for a dry state LHD over equivalent condition RHD Oz delivered?  Or $20k?  Is an original LHD worth more to most people than a converted car now?

As I & others know , the RHD IB cars sport inferior driving positions , with the offset pedals.

But the market is dominated by people fearful of sitting on the "wrong" side and having to use their dominant hand to change gears.

True sporting drivers would embrace LHD. And LHD is "euro",  so that in itself is exotic and desirable , eh?

Funny how most of the world drives on that side, and everyone on that side when you're driving a boat.

On the weekend I saw 4 classic American cars - 3 mustangs and an old Chevy impala.  4/4 were LHD.  I think in that market it is becoming desirable to have a LHD because that's how they were made.