Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

....I dunno but the sea of burgundy inside just seems overwhelming.

Mike, that sounds like heaven to me!   I reckon it's worth a PPI. 

Are the 86's down to 207bhp??

True, but a chip change would get it to 217bhp like your '87 and later ones.  (It would also run OK on 91 RON how it is though.)  To get to the golden years of '84 and '85 with 231bhp would require a change of pistons to restore the compression ratio and probably the removal of the catalytic converter.  

That GT3 was a Porsche Australia car two owners ago. The black wheels don't suit it and I can't stand the blue interior parts, but overall it is a total knockout in the flesh. Well worth looking at if you want a unique GT3. Just lose the beach buggy interior. Goodness knows what they were thinking.

Don't think we know if it actually lives on the street . . . he just took the lousy pictures on the street.  I agree 100% that the seller is doing himself no favours . . . a few professional photos and it probably would have gone by now.

Think it is fairly common for 993 to need some work at 60k-70 miles (say 100,000 km) because the valve guides go.

Nick,

I don't think that's an accurate statement for 993's.  Maybe some earlier engines but by the time the 993's came around they were pretty well bullet proof with only oil weeping around the cam chain housings, the distributor tooth belt and checking that the engine wiring harness has been replaced under the recall being the common issues for us to be particularly aware of.

Can't agree more Peter. Cam housings are standard in the weep issue. If the other recalls have been completed then BULLETPROOF is the operative description. Yes, the valve guides are apparently made of cheese, however there are stories of cars that are requiring top end rebuilds at 120,000km, but then again I've read about cars achieving 400,00kms with no major engine work. If the leak down comes back reasonably then you are "generally" ok, but closer valve stem inspection may show other results.

Mike, that sounds like heaven to me! I reckon it's worth a PPI.

True, but a chip change would get it to 217bhp like your '87 and later ones. (It would also run OK on 91 RON how it is though.) To get to the golden years of '84 and '85 with 231bhp would require a change of pistons to restore the compression ratio and probably the removal of the catalytic converter.

Yeh I'm running 217 angry ponies in my 87 and as I have previously stated that's enough for me...but I think generally 87 and 89's gain the G50 box whereas 84 and 85's have the advantage of the extra ponies...the 86's seem to be a little less desirable but then again it's all about how good the PPI is...

when it comes to doing a PPI, what should you expect from the workshop?

I recently paid for a PPI on a long hood 911 last week... 

I got a phone call telling me not much that I didn't already know... the only thing I got was compression numbers.

Took another 5 days for them to email me the details.. I thought I would get a report... all it was, was an invoice with 1 line statements about what we spoke about over the phone.. basically in point form. 7 or 8 points.

Is that normal?

Yeh I'm running 217 angry ponies in my 87 and as I have previously stated that's enough for me...but I think generally 87 and 89's gain the G50 box whereas 84 and 85's have the advantage of the extra ponies...the 86's seem to be a little less desirable but then again it's all about how good the PPI is...

Yeah, you're right, it is a bit a nonsense to talk about a few horsepower here or there when really the only measures of importance have to be simply: "Is it good to drive?" followed by "Is the PPI OK?" ! 

That GT3 was a Porsche Australia car two owners ago. The black wheels don't suit it and I can't stand the blue interior parts, but overall it is a total knockout in the flesh. Well worth looking at if you want a unique GT3. Just lose the beach buggy interior. Goodness knows what they were thinking.

Agree on the interior... As for wheels, OE silver would be fine IMO