Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

what do you think it's worth? Bear in mind the CTS one sold for close to $100k

I will go the cop-out and state that it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it; it was only about 2 yrs ago that I balked at a low mileage dark metallic green CS for $45k! And it was only 2-3 yrs ago that Carsales had a number of CS that couldn't sell for love nor money at between 30-40k, though they are clearly worth more than that now!

Like every car in Porscheland, prices have got out of control!

I will go the cop-out and state that it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it; it was only about 2 yrs ago that I balked at a low mileage dark metallic green CS for $45k! And it was only 2-3 yrs ago that Carsales had a number of CS that couldn't sell for love nor money at between 30-40k, though they are clearly worth more than that now!

Like every car in Porscheland, prices have got out of control!

2-3 years ago I looked at a 964 targa for $32,500!!

The car should get painted lemon yellow .. Gunter must regret his strategy … So much for the 300k car … that now one will buy for 150k..may common sense prevail ..maybe the crash photos have leaked out and the compliance plate that it never has been found in thailand.

On another note , if anyone looks at the black backdate and would really care to share .. I do have someone overseas who wanted to know more ..

Im too busy to go look before midweek..

Not sure I have seen this before, and I am not at all sure what to make of it. $85k for an SC seems steep, but do the body and interior mods add or subtract value?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1978/SSE-AD-4159747/?Cr=52

Plus.... <rant mode> WTF is going on with the steering wheel photo? Is that lazy, stupid or am I missing something?

hang on Simon didn't you pay X for a converted import ??

hang on Simon didn't you pay X for a converted import ??

No, I bought a lowish mileage, matching numbers 3.2 Carrera, and whether we think the differences are worth it or not, they carry a noticeable premium in the market to a high mileage non matching numbers SC.. Having tracked sales closely for the last 4-5 months, it has to be a pretty good SC to get that sort of money or a bit more - maybe something original, low mileage, interesting colour.....  this car has done over 300,000 kms and it doesn't have the original engine.

There have been 100% original SC's with similar or slightly less mileage that have failed to reach $80k. In fact, I saw one that sold for less than $75k and that was matching numbers. For reasons I can't totally understand, a 300k kms car with a fresh engine never seems to get a significant premium over one without the engine rebuild. 

The question is what difference, if any, the modifications make. In reality, you could say it hasn't had that much done - front and rear bumpers, duck tail, deleted sill covers and a couple of stickers on the outside while on the inside, different seats, rear seats trimmed to match and Rennline pedal boards. Less than $5000 in parts and then, depending on what you need a professional to do, maybe the same again in labour, paint etc. I am actually going to do something similar to my car (but with different bumpers) and because I will be doing the painting myself, it will cost me less than $1500. Inside, I too am likely to change the seats but i am under no illusion about the fact that when I come to sell,the chances are that I will probably get more money putting the original seats back and selling the other seats separately.

It's not often I hope that my views on the market are wrong, but I will be modifying my car in the belief that the modifications are unlikely to add any value and that i might well get more money if the car is returned to standard. It is very rare that you see much, if anything back from doing these sorts of modification, unless you manage to produce something pretty unique that is admired by most, such as we have seen with Hugh's red 964 outlaw.

I love the 968CS but ultimately they are the same car mechanically/power wise as the standard 968 (unless they have the M030 and/or M220 options which they don't all have and by all accounts you could fit as an aftermarket option).

Yes the standard 2 seaters have the roll cage and some have the moulded Recaros, but $85k is very steep IMHO...

Carn mate, it's the CS logo, when applied to fairly ordinary 3.2 Carreras it apparently makes them the holy grail (also same car mechanically and power wise, despite minor tweaks)

Carn mate, it's the CS logo, when applied to fairly ordinary 3.2 Carreras it apparently makes them the holy grail (also same car mechanically and power wise, despite minor tweaks)

To think, when I bought my 964RS, the difference in price between the 3.2 Carrera CS and that was about $12,000. Nearly bought the CS instead!:o

Jonathan,

Have you thought about the price difference between the 997.1's and the 997.2's?  It often seems quite small even though there are some significant advantages in going to the .2's 

However getting a manual 997.2 will take some patience compared to the bountiful supply of the faster PDK equipped ones but there was a manual 3.8S with 75,000km for $115k that hung around for a while.  Reasonable mileage PDK ones seem to start at $110k onwards.

thanks Peter, again aside from my criteria I am in no rush. Would like to have something sooner rather than later but in saying that I can wait until end of year. Don't know what the chances are of picking up a S2 manual 'S' for $120 mark or less....

cheers

jonathan (JB)

Hi guys looking for some quick help

i have a 997 4S 2006 that has been leant to me for the day as I am looking to purchase it. I have gone over the car and am looking for the following feedback:

where is the build plate?

car has done 30,000 k's Porsche Brighton service history however has only had 3-4 services in its life. Definitely due for a major..

underneath engine there has been a reasonable amount of oil leak to the rhs of the car, doesn't look like its current now though

thanks JB

Servicing occurs every 10K or 12 months, whichever comes first. As far as when the 'major' is due, have a look a the service book to tell you at what mileage that occurs

If the oil is at the rear right, that is the oil pump - not a biggish deal. I say that as my 996 has > 200K and has similar weeping

Good luck!

If the oil is at the rear right, that is the oil pump

How's that occur Mr Kay?  Or do you mean power steering pump?  Or could it be someone has just split oil topping up since "it doesn't look current"?

Jonathan,

I wouldn't rush this purchase until you know for sure the cause.  Could also be RMS or a sign of worse to come.

How's that occur Mr Kay?  Or do you mean power steering pump?  Or could it be someone has just split oil topping up since "it doesn't look current"?

Jonathan,

I wouldn't rush this purchase until you know for sure the cause.  Could also be RMS or a sign of worse to come.

Can't say I have investigated, I just figured many k's, possibly weeping gasket? I only noticed it when I changed the O2 sensors. Sprayed some degreaser, hosed it down and haven't looked at it since. Unless I am mistaken, pretty confident it is the pump.

At the moment focusing $$ on the SC and will start researching and giving the 996 some love after I redo the suspension; which has been purchased and just waiting for the SC to come back from the engine rebuild.

That seems like a far better bet (subject to PPI) than the $85k car discussed earlier, although I personally am not convinced by the seats which I would swap out for the originals and sell. Engine bay looks well sorted.

That seems like a far better bet (subject to PPI) than the $85k car discussed earlier, although I personally am not convinced by the seats which I would swap out for the originals and sell. Engine bay looks well sorted.

That's Roodog's car.

There will be some posts on PFA if you do a search.

A solid honest car that would be a good buy for someone. 

That's Roodog's car.

Looks like a ripper. Like how all the parts have been catalogued and come with the sale. Smart move. Looks very clean. Hope to see it picked up by a member. Love the look of that air box too 

That's Roodog's car.

Looks like a ripper. Like how all the parts have been catalogued and come with the sale. Smart move. Looks very clean. Hope to see it picked up by a member. Love the look of that air box too 

Now that is a tidy car, been on a couple of drives with that car, enthusiastic owner, lovely car and a top bloke, a lot of work has been done to it.