Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Isn't that what you did on the last one T? ...... that's only a hop skip and a jump for yoU isn't it?

"One small step for Tom ...... one giant step for everyone else" .....  :lol:

Did you buy it?

No, I passed on it at $29,000. At the end of the day, it is a non-matching numbers car that needed a lot of work and TLC...In retrospect, when you have others asking double that for a car in similar condition, it isn't such a bad deal but it just wasn't the right car for me at that price. Would've needed to be a bit cheaper for me to grab it. 

Edited by Written

Wish I could buy it at 29k. Rip the engine out and shove in a $15k 2.4 with gearbox, $5k scratch up paint job and a bit of bog, then voila, instant 911!

Not a dumb idea for those of us that don't mind an early hot rod TOM! Do it

This exact car was sold to this owner with 158'000kms in 2013, now advertised with 58'000kms.......things that make you go hmmmm

that's why the asking price is $99k...it's not an easy task to wind back an odometer and forge a service history

Edited by Blue964

I think $29k is a bit high for that car... It needs a lot of work! I do like the hotrodding idea though

Don't take this as a personal attack please. Its a generalisation

Not having seen it, I can't say exactly how much it would cost to repair the body and paint, yet again, I'll repost what I said about the slate grey one for 80k

It needs bodywork and a full paint job, who knows what the engine is like, and contrary to popular belief, its a converted car. So that leaves this one. $29k for a base, strip it yourself and get a $5k to 10k paint job. Rebuild the engine 10k (or preferably the 2.4 and box conversion for 15k) There's $50k to 55k. Add some nice wheels or tart theses up with getting them widened and painted for $2k or so. (I was quoted $200 per wheel, and I painted them myself for $30). New floor pan bits $1000, fitting them another $1000 etc. 

So lets see. An $80k car that needs anywhere from $20k to $40k worth of work that will still only be valued at 100k ish, or one finished for under that amount? 

Knowing what I know now about these Porsche's, I would be snapping that up ASAP and hot rodding the hell out of it!

Personally, it's getting a bit tiring when people want something for nothing, so to speak (again, not aimed at anyone in particular). If anyone wants a car with the correct washers on the seat base, you pay for it. This car is 50 years old, and looks pretty bloody good for being left out and neglected.  I don't care who it is, they shouldn't own the bloody thing. Stuff the originality,  I hope it gets bought by someone that will do it justice

Not having seen it, I can't say exactly how much it would cost to repair the body and paint, yet again, I'll repost what I said about the slate grey one for 80k

It needs bodywork and a full paint job, who knows what the engine is like, and contrary to popular belief, its a converted car. So that leaves this one. $29k for a base, strip it yourself and get a $5k to 10k paint job. Rebuild the engine 10k (or preferably the 2.4 and box conversion for 15k) There's $50k to 55k. Add some nice wheels or tart theses up with getting them widened and painted for $2k or so. (I was quoted $200 per wheel, and I painted them myself for $30). New floor pan bits $1000, fitting them another $1000 etc. 

So lets see. An $80k car that needs anywhere from $20k to $40k worth of work that will still only be valued at 100k ish, or one finished for under that amount? 

Knowing what I know now about these Porsche's, I would be snapping that up ASAP and hot rodding the hell out of it!

Personally, it's getting a bit tiring when people want something for nothing, so to speak (again, not aimed at anyone in particular). If anyone wants a car with the correct washers on the seat base, you pay for it. This car is 50 years old, and looks pretty bloody good for being left out and neglected.  I don't care who it is, they shouldn't own the bloody thing. Stuff the originality,  I hope it gets bought by someone that will do it justice

Gumtree has ads all the time for people wanting a car for a project so to me this would be it, I just wish my son was ready to do the project thing with me or I would be all over that yellow lived outside thing.

I don't take as personal, so all good ;)

In my opinion, it's a $20k car. I think the rust on it will be a lot worse than can be seen. It's s left hooker, it will need interior work and I think they'll be a lot of unanticipated heartache. The $9k buffer will be swallowed up pretty easily

Edited by jldmelb

How's that occur Mr Kay?  Or do you mean power steering pump?  Or could it be someone has just split oil topping up since "it doesn't look current"?

Jonathan,

I wouldn't rush this purchase until you know for sure the cause.  Could also be RMS or a sign of worse to come.

thanks for your advice Peter. The car has only done 30,000ks and is owned by a mate who's had it for the past 4 years. Whilst he has not kept up with regular servicing schedule the car does not get used a lot and when it does it's longer trips.

i am thinking if he will get the things done I want him to I will also organise a PPI at Brighton as that's who has done the servicing.

trying to find that balance between emotion and common sense,as I have negotiated a price a good $10k under anything else in the market.

regards

Thoughts?

Has come down from $120k spoken to the owner all seems to be in order. Thinking about going up to syd take a look, if this current car I'm negotiating on does not come through.

Says hes been offered $102k but knocked back. I would say all are overvalued at the moment, but seems a good car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2007/SSE-AD-4041553/?Cr=28

Thanks

Jonathan.

Thoughts?

Has come down from $120k spoken to the owner all seems to be in order. Thinking about going up to syd take a look, if this current car I'm negotiating on does not come through.

Says hes been offered $102k but knocked back. I would say all are overvalued at the moment, but seems a good car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2007/SSE-AD-4041553/?Cr=28

Thanks

Jonathan.

If I was the seller I would have taken the $102k

If I was the seller I would have taken the $102k

Thoughts around why? everyone keeps saying they should be cheaper yet they don't seem to be, and sit around for sale for ages.... its bloody hard to gauge the value of these cars!