Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

That is definitely the car. If you go through the video, it is shown a number of times being driven by Peter Mayer from SA (looked that up). The seller is called Peter and he states it has been regularly serviced by Porsche Adelaide. Once you start digging, you find the car has done a fair number of rallies. I am surprised he hasn't mentioned that anywhere ;). Here is a video of it being hoofed around Tassie and listen for it bottoming out :o

Assuming it hadn't been seriously bent I'd buy it if I had a spare $285k.  I mean what other opportunity will you have to buy a RS at this price?  In 10 years it will be known as the one Jim did a Targa Tasmania in rather than Peter Someone's racing toy.

By then Jim's comments that he was only a few seconds slower in an automatic Cayman S that we can all buy for half the price would have been forgotten too! 

(Looking at how Peter drives, he is very sympathetic.  I hate him BTW, lucky bastard!) 

Looks like the best marketting video I have seen in a while  and its white.. I guess it came with a six pack of splitters …but an RS with high kms?  Really what is high Kms?

I thinking that 5 minute drive could be come my latte run and morning meditation.. the roads are little like that in Byron...

Assuming it hadn't been seriously bent I'd buy it if I had a spare $285k.  I mean what other opportunity will you have to buy a RS at this price?  In 10 years it will be known as the one Jim did a Targa Tasmania in rather than Peter Someone's racing toy.

By then Jim's comments that he was only a few seconds slower in an automatic Cayman S that we can all buy for half the price would have been forgotten too! 

(Looking at how Peter drives, he is very sympathetic.  I hate him BTW, lucky bastard!) 

Agree with all of that. I think if you could afford to buy it and hold onto it for, say, 10 years, it could actually command a premium over others. As close to an investment as you could get, and you wouldn't feel guilty driving it.

Agree with all of that. I think if you could afford to buy it and hold onto it for, say, 10 years, it could actually command a premium over others. As close to an investment as you could get, and you wouldn't feel guilty driving it.

5,000 Kms a year thats then  a 100kms car ..should be all good then… in 10 years.. seriously .. anyone any odeas on the service life of those motors ..genuine question..

Invetsment here maybe.. not a global investment.. similar or slighthly less mileage cars are as low at 220k in the UK..

I wonder what will happen to the LCT / Aussie delivered fantasy gap when all these import laws change..

This will just come back to being one the greatest cars owned and driven by one of Aussies greatest drivers , on one of the greatest set of competition roads.

Then you could just outlaw it ;)

Edited by symsy

You just have to look at the premiums that Brock cars get. I think that in the long term, there is enough in that price to allow for anything that needs doing to the car. I wonder what the rules are about shoving it into the Super fund? I guess that would mean not being able to drive it :(

That is definitely the car. If you go through the video, it is shown a number of times being driven by Peter Mayer from SA (looked that up). The seller is called Peter and he states it has been regularly serviced by Porsche Adelaide. Once you start digging, you find the car has done a fair number of rallies. I am surprised he hasn't mentioned that anywhere ;). Here is a video of it being hoofed around Tassie and listen for it bottoming out :o

Some good investigative journalism Simon. If it has been serviced with PCA, and you're serious about the car give them a call, ask for Ben the service manager. They are really good folk down there and will tell you everything you need to know about it I'm sure. 

You just have to look at the premiums that Brock cars get. I think that in the long term, there is enough in that price to allow for anything that needs doing to the car. I wonder what the rules are about shoving it into the Super fund? I guess that would mean not being able to drive it :(

And Jim is not getting any younger....  Best value is to buy the painting while the artist is still alive.:blink:

that's a little gem, someone buy it. ? 

I just did!

Thanks for the tipoff @jldmelb

Edited by TrevMcRev

I'm sure Jim drove it properly, but Peter seems VERY conservative in it!  Tootleing around Tassie like that. I'd have no trouble beating him in my stock 996 Carrera at that pace.  I wouldn't worry about the front splitter touching the ground a couple of times, they just a consumable part on those cars.  Mechanically it appears to be babied, unless there is something wrong with it I wouldn't let it's competition use put you off.

I'm sure Jim drove it properly, but Peter seems VERY conservative in it!  Tootleing around Tassie like that. I'd have no trouble beating him in my stock 996 Carrera at that pace.  I wouldn't worry about the front splitter touching the ground a couple of times, they just a consumable part on those cars.  Mechanically it appears to be babied, unless there is something wrong with it I wouldn't let it's competition use put you off.

I agree, he doesn't use a lot of the road or much of the rev range! At the 5.00 mark the decals make it look like it had a hit on the front right behind the wheel, but it's just an optical illusion. If I had the money it would be in my garage

I sat out buying Jim's 997 GT2 RS 18 months ago when he was looking to sell it, when I inquired if he still had it in June/July last year it'd gone.  That's one I regret missing!  Had 10k on the clock and I believe it was the only white with full black interior GT2RS made (all the others have red inserts in the trim from memory).  

To be fair to Peter he was 6th in his class in 2014 and 3rd in 2016 so he is definitely not Driving Miss Daisy and the results speak volumes.

Granted, to finish first...first you have to finish, and consistency over time & distance adds up.  

Still as far as buying the car goes, i'd say mechanically it hasn't had it's neck rung by the look of it, and they are built to do exactly what it has been used as.

If I bought the car, i'd continue to use it the same. I think it would be a disservice to the car to just use it as a street car, might as well buy a regular GT3 or even a Carrera otherwise.

Don't know if this one has been posted before, but it certainly seems a bit ambitious ..... Targa and UK import

I would think the low k's are due to the speedo being swapped once it landed on our sunny shores ....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-3946387/?Cr=11

well done. You'd  spend more than that taking it in for a major service surely?

I plan to do as much tinkering as I can myself with this one... Already raided the rally parts pile at my spare factory and found a momo race wheel, pair of sabelt harnesses and a heap of hella rallye 4000 spotlights and some old gravel rally tyres! Yeehah!

And apparently Audi 5cyl bolts up pretty easy! Makes the Porsches behind it sound pretty lame...

Edited by TrevMcRev

Don't know if this one has been posted before, but it certainly seems a bit ambitious ..... Targa and UK import

I would think the low k's are due to the speedo being swapped once it landed on our sunny shores ....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-3946387/?Cr=11

Not sure about the kms. If it came from the UK, I doubt they swapped the speedo on arrival. You can see service stamps since 1996 and it has only done 16,000 kms in the past 20 years. I suspect that should be 16k miles, but even still, I think there is a reasonable chance it really has done either 53k miles or kms.

However, the price is simply wishful thinking. CTS cannot sell their UK wide body coupe and it is now down to $160k. I know it has done more kms, but that has to be some sort of comparison. As an aside, I think the CTS car also has an "interesting" story to its stated mileage. The car was imported in 2010 and the speedo reads 148,000. The question is, what units is that? If the clock hasn't been changed, is that miles (ad says kms), or was there some conversion done?

Edited by Simon Nelson

Not sure about the kms. If it came from the UK, I doubt they swapped the speedo on arrival. You can see service stamps since 1996 and it has only done 16,000 kms in the past 20 years. I suspect that should be 16k miles, but even still, I think there is a reasonable chance it really has done either 53k miles or kms.

However, the price is simply wishful thinking. CTS cannot sell their UK wide body coupe and it is now down to $160k. I know it has done more kms, but that has to be some sort of comparison. As an aside, I think the CTS car also has an "interesting" story to its stated mileage. The car was imported in 2010 and the speedo reads 148,000. The question is, what units is that? If the clock hasn't been changed, is that miles (ad says kms), or was there some conversion done?

There are no photos of stamps from the UK and you have to wonder why ....

Also, would love to know where / when its wide body came about .... no option for it in the options photo.

You ar right about the price though .... if a coupe can't get that amount, a targa is wishful thinking.

What's a 996 GT2 worth and how should one sell it.  I have a business investment opportunity looming that would be helped by GT2 sale.  I'm a reluctant motivated seller if that makes sense.   rob at RSR listed it at 349k earlier in the year, no bites (and none on the black 378k car either).

Other GT2s are on market at mid 3s to 400k, what's mine worth as an immaculate original car with a new but non numbers matching engine?  What's the right asking price?  3xx or 2xx?

@DJM, CTS initially had their 6GT2 advertised for just shy of $400k. You can see what they're asking now. It's a very tidy matching numbers example with under 40K on the clock that is still not moving in the present climate. I'd hope you get some genuine interest in the very high $2xx. It's an amazing car. GLWS

@DJM, CTS initially had their 6GT2 advertised for just shy of $400k. You can see what they're asking now. It's a very tidy matching numbers example with under 40K on the clock that is still not moving in the present climate. I'd hope you get some genuine interest in the very high $2xx. It's an amazing car. GLWS

$279k for quick sale, recognising crankcase number is non original.  It will go live to Carsales today, contact me if interested.  $60k below similar car at CTS but with a sub 4,000km, $65k engine.  I'd say bargain, let's see what the market says.  

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2002/SSE-AD-4195631

Edited by DJM

Contrary to his claim. Being a lefty, and modified from original, I HIGHLY doubt it would get rego here in SA

and "please only call if you want to inspect and buy"... What not allowed to ask questions first? With such a vague advert some missing facts are certainly qualifying questions. Like is it actually a 73 model car? Or just listed as one because it is a backdated 73 Replica?