My Car Story

I’ve read with great interest the trouble and care that you all take when buying your first or subsequent Porsche.

I thought that I would throw in my story which is a bit different.

One day about 5 years ago my wife said we were going to Queen Vic market. We eventually stopped at a dodgy second hand car yard in Coburg where she introduced me to my new car, a speed yellow 1986 Porsche cabriolet.

This was the first time that I had seen the car. It was paid for, roadworthy, registered and ready to go.

My wife’s story is that her father died a reasonably wealthy man never treating himself to the BMW that he always wanted. My wife received an unexpected inheritance, I needed a car, so she bought me a Porsche, not a jeep. She knew I had always wanted a Porsche and she saw this one on Carsales and fell in love. She didn't want me to finish up like her dad.

What did I know about Porsches? Absolutely nothing. Hey it’s got no power steering, no air-conditioning but it’s a Porsche. What do you mean it’s not a turbo, it’s got a turbo badge on the back (not any more)? <_< 

Did it have a PPI?   No

Is it Australian delivered? No

Is it original? No

Is it in concourse condition? No

Do I love it ? Yes with a passion.

Would I buy my car again if I knew what I know now? Probably not.

Would I be making a mistake by not buying it? Definitely yes.

Hey I’ve got a Porsche. It’s different and it’s mine. :wub: 

Got my first speeding ticket on the way home too.  :rolleyes: 

It's great, you love both !   So do I.

My wife said if you are going to buy a Sports car - it has to have 4 seats so you can pick up the kids from school and can't cost more than a Hyundai Excel ?

So I brought home a Champaigne Gold 84 944 which needed a new clutch - 4 seats and didn't cost much.

But you have nowhere to put it !

Here are the plans for a Carport on the side of the house !   END of STORY.

I think I might need to give her better hint about what to get me for my birthday!

Be careful.

I knew a guy who was genuinely admiring a watch to his wife.  Didn't really want it, just thought it looked nice.

Unfortunately this was just before his birthday.

What did he get for his birthday?  Yes, that watch.  Could he say anything?  No because that would be very "unappreciative". :D

Anyway, you're a lucky man witho.

Do I love it ? Yes with a passion.

Would I buy my car again if I knew what I know now? Probably not.

Would I be making a mistake by not buying it? Definitely yes.

Perfect description of my feelings/attitude for my 911.

Great story.

I think at times we over think purchases. At days end we are all just custodians for ever how long.

I bought mine no PPI or drive - pictures on the net. Wouldn't test my luck again.

I found our George Cairns serviced the engine 6 monthly sent from QLD. 

Archived