Networking

I'm not so sure about the correlation of age and driving enthusiasm having seen some of our drive day clients.  The most spirited driver we've had in twelve months was 68 (but with an extensive driving history).  

Our standard user agreement has a clause in it regarding track/competition use but the user agreement is shaped by users within each syndicate.  A gt3 syndicate would have that clause removed I'm sure.  Why else would you have a gt3...

Buy in is 1/4 of the purchase price of the car plus $1500 in setup/legals etc.  So I'm guessing that buy in on a 997 gt3 would be somewhere in the order of 28 - 35k?

Regarding a gt3 as most suitable - I'm not so sure.  Quite a lot of our clients are 'occasional' car users & I feel we'll likely run a few boxsters & cabs for them.  Buy in there could start as low as 15k for a 987 Boxster including a nice sized contingency fund so it's pretty attainable.  These people seem to look at the car as something fun to do on a weekend every now & then.  Time will tell.

interesting business - I hope you do well.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I originally floated the idea of a co-owned Porsche with a friend but as hard as I tried, I could never make it work.  It's about the ownership of things for me.  One thing I know is never start a business thinking of yourself as customer because you're already of a 'diy' mindset when you get to thinking that.   Shared ownership of boats and planes is pretty well established I think so expensive cars would be similar. As the saying goes if 'if it flies, floats or fornicates, it's better to rent than buy'.

I hope it goes well - of course many of us daydream about a business like that where we are surrounded by desirable cars and all customers through the door are likeable enthusiasts with deep pockets.  I'm sure the reality is somewhat different but best of luck.

Thanks Coastr & turboT.  Yes, the reality is always different & I spend more time cleaning than anything else.  The concept of chasing a dream (& remembering what that dream actually was) is definitely the key.   Coastr - you've touched on that intangible 'ownership' aspect, where it might be just as important to walk out to the garage on any given night & see your own 911 there, as it is to actually drive it.  For those types (including me) syndicate is perhaps not the ideal model....at least for the first Porsche...;)

Gavin

My mechanical wages suck even more :(

I'm a toolmaker by qualification. I got tired of my hands being like a porcupine with all the brass splinters. So I got off the tools about 16 years ago.

Web address removed. Sorry if I broke any rules there. Pm me if you need mechanical or electrical design done. Australia wide.

Office in Adelaide and Melbourne

I'm a toolmaker by qualification. I got tired of my hands being like a porcupine with all the brass splinters. So I got off the tools about 16 years ago.

I nearly became an orthopaedic/plastic surgeon but my childhood love of dirty rough hands obviously precluded this  ;) I can still wield a scalpel though.

I'm a recovering Arborist who decided better to sell pans than chase gold...so started supplying the Arborist industry with tree climbing height access & safety gear.

It started as ecommerce 1st and grew to having bricks n mortar (tiltslab!) retail store as well.

http://treegear.com.au/    Pretty niche..unlikely there are any arborists on here, but we do have GoPros!

turboT: Love your retail design work!  I'm always looking at good retail spaces for ideas...

DJM: Recognize your brand - seen plenty of new constructions with a Latitude37 board up!

DrivePorschesGavin:  Do you need a Melbourne based partner?!

Tit: I'm happy to share anything around online stores that helps.

DJM: Recognize your brand - seen plenty of new constructions with a Latitude37 board up!.

Thanks Trev - our brand seems to be remembered, the name seems to pique people's interest. Almost all of our work is "knock down rebuild" in the east and south east suburbs and mornington peninsula so we're constantly in amongst where people live and highly visible. It never ceases to amaze me how many construction sites go unindentified. This is our biggest marketing opportunity so a large board goes up on every site we build on.

Special deals available to punters showing their PFA sticker!

Thanks Trev - our brand seems to be remembered, the name seems to pique people's interest. Almost all of our work is "knock down rebuild" in the east and south east suburbs and mornington peninsula so we're constantly in amongst where people live and highly visible. It never ceases to amaze me how many construction sites go unindentified. This is our biggest marketing opportunity so a large board goes up on every site we build on.

Special deals available to punters showing their PFA sticker!

We are about to embark on a decent project might have to hit you up for a quote :)

Surprisingly stuff all money in that for the vet. It's why I'm working with production animals not companion animals at the moment!

I took my hound to the vet for her annual checkup.  $92 for 1 injection.  WTF!  Obviously the veterinary drugs are expensive compared to human drugs. 

Though, one of the Chemotherapy drugs my wife is on is nearly $4000 (dispensed price) for a 110ml infusion every 3 weeks.  Fortunately it's on the PBS.

Well I was made redundant October last year. Knew it was coming which is why I sold my Porsche. Gave myself 3 months off and have been looking for a role last three months.

Market is SLOW. Very slow.

I am in IT. Used to be a Major Incident Manager but can also apply my skills to Problem and Change Management. Prior to being an IM I was a senior Lotus Notes Domino Adminstrator.

So if anyone has any leads on a role, even some part time 'help out' stuff in the meantime - I'm all ears!

It's starting to get a bit rough now, emotionally I mean. I'm ok $ wise as I've been very careful.

Clutch Monkey - my partner is a small animals Vet and it's amazinf how people just assume we are loaded. Veterinarians are like no other in the medical profession, jack of all trades - surgeon, dentist, X-ray tech, pharmacist and the list goes on. Hopefully more people in Aus will get pet insurance, allowing them to be able to spend more $ on animal care. Amazing how many loved pets go euthanized purely due to this.

Vet medicine not subsidised like human medicine, yep. Interestingly its really easy to work in America, due to their poor health care- they have a better appreciation of the true cost of medicine, so they aren't fazed by vet fees!

It is much cheaper to have children than dogs.

I wouldn't say American health care is poor- the best healthcare in the world is available in the USA.  It's expensive and not government controller though.

I actually think that people *should* see the cash going back and forth with medical expenses - i'm all for the system we have, but people treat the doctor as 'free' - but in reality it is 'prepaid via the tax system'.  

We now have pet insurance for fido after he ate a 10c piece as a 8 week old puppy and required surgery to extract said coin, which cost about $1000 IIRC.  Since then (8 years ago) the little tacker hasn't had a single issue and is fit as a fiddle.  

I'm an electrician by trade, just after candles were made obsolete. Was in real estate for a short while (most unsatisfying), now own & run a building services, mechanical services & facilities management business in Sydney. Do a bit of day trading on the side (with mixed results).

Some here already know, I am in the car industry; New Car Sales Manager for a Toyota franchise. I've been with the brand since 1996 after I flunked out of Engineering and Commerce at Tas Uni.

If you need a new Toyota, hit me up.

I am also in new car sales, after nearly 30 years in Retail sales, mostly audio and consumer electrical goods.

Need a new Mitsubishi, hit me up lol

Well I was made redundant October last year. Knew it was coming which is why I sold my Porsche. Gave myself 3 months off and have been looking for a role last three months.

Market is SLOW. Very slow.

I am in IT. Used to be a Major Incident Manager but can also apply my skills to Problem and Change Management. Prior to being an IM I was a senior Lotus Notes Domino Adminstrator.

So if anyone has any leads on a role, even some part time 'help out' stuff in the meantime - I'm all ears!

It's starting to get a bit rough now, emotionally I mean. I'm ok $ wise as I've been very careful.

Amanda I have a couple of friends with IT co's, i'll ask if they need anyone.

Clutch Monkey - my partner is a small animals Vet and it's amazinf how people just assume we are loaded. Veterinarians are like no other in the medical profession, jack of all trades - surgeon, dentist, X-ray tech, pharmacist and the list goes on. Hopefully more people in Aus will get pet insurance, allowing them to be able to spend more $ on animal care. Amazing how many loved pets go euthanized purely due to this.

Well you tell your partner MANY thanks for what she does for animals!

Our dog is treated like a queen in our house, and we wouldnt have it any other way.

Vets are incredible people. There's no way I could do the job, as much as I love animals. I can't even go to the RSPCA, as I'd bring home 40 dogs! Theyre the only charity I donate too

Amanda. I'll see what happened with the enquiries I made for you last week

Our last Samoyed had arthritis, diabetes, hip displacia and some occasional seizures. We had to put her down last year when the prospect of surgery for kidney stones was one step too far for the old girl.

We didn't add up the last several years of vet bills, but I'm pretty sure we passed into five figures. We got very proficient at giving her needles...

She made it to 14 years old. The day she went was one of the saddest days of our married life.

PS: We love our vet! They were very good through the whole thing..

I have a huge smile on my face today. Son came home and said he was playing in a footy trial game. He only played 4 games last year before he gave it away. He played an absolute cracker game. His previous usual standard. He had a big smile on his face before and after the game. Also managed to get my wife out of the house for the first time in a couple of months. Her health is not good, but she enjoyed watching the lad play again.

Archived