1981 Porsche 924 Turbo

Ozvino

New to me via Michel - 1981 Australian delivered Porsche 924 Turbo. Car is totally complete and runs (reasonably well) but has been off the road for around 5 years (last Reg 2010). The interior is in very good condition, the seats present well as do the carpets. Dash is cracked, console carpet needs replacing. 

Plans are to bring this car back to life and get it on the road. Not a lot of these cars left now, especially the Australian delivered ones, so it's worth saving (in my opinion). I've always wanted a 924 and with them becoming more scarce and expensive I figured it was time to get one. I'm also surprised at how well these cars go, it's small and light so the 177bhp actually moves it along. 70s/80s era Turbo lag is like being in a way back machine.

Plans - full mechanical overhaul. Water pump, timing belt, distributor cap, coil, leads, all cooling pipes, fuel lines, brakes all around. Eventually paint once mechanicals are sorted.

673BF7BC-2176-4D41-82F5-B0D891E9676B.jpg

E5A481C7-4F74-4709-808F-6613F7579320.jpg7C8CE4B3-DDC8-42EA-ADAC-DC52CC46518F.jpg

990EBD37-1D2C-4A8E-864C-2EE5E11891D8.jpg

6B585044-334E-4777-82EA-DF89779445CF.jpg

5E0904DF-C825-4657-BC9B-208E657BE793.jpg

And here is the car after a days worth of cleaning - the paint isnt perfect but its better than it was 

B74DFE65-8063-42E7-8407-BE36A69B27A0.jpg

9521494D-BD08-441D-845E-56663D5D14D8.jpg

4738C130-1F32-4194-A069-3728078B5862.jpg

FB2A7563-7E4C-4946-A04B-A747B8C6DA52.jpg

2F539F54-09DE-453C-ADFC-B13EF8851064.jpg

CC33A235-6262-4DE4-AE73-6C5F2E85E958.jpg

2D780432-7834-4814-8A10-8ED20AF0909E.jpg

Thanks guys - cool little car but she's a Pamela Anderson; looks good in pictures and from 10ft away, get any closer and she gets ugly ?

Parts hunt has begun, to me that's half the fun with bringing an old car back to life

Thanks guys - cool little car but she's a Pamela Anderson; looks good in pictures and from 10ft away, get any closer and she gets ugly ?

Even wearing the red one piece!  

Nice to see another in the PFA!

Just watch you don't pick up Hep C from her....

I'm, not even sure myself if that's a Pammy joke, or a Michel joke :ph34r: 

Congrats Ozvino, a rewarding task ahead! She looks lovely.

This is just a personal preference but I've never been a fan of the 924 turbo wheels, I actually like the NA wheels more but I really love the period correct after market wheels that @edgy was rocking!

• 1 month later...

OK time for an update. I spent almost all of October in the USA so apart from Parts Hunting not a lot of progress. 

Secured a large number of new parts from the US. Major service items, belts, hoses etc. along with under hood foam pads, door and trunk seals. Brake pads and lines along with new Rotors have been purchased. I also managed to secure new old stock Transmission Mounts from the UK and a second hand timing gear cover.

IMG_6354.jpg

IMG_6569.jpg

The car is now getting a major service along with braking system refresh.Calipers are getting Cleaned and High temp coated by HPC and a number of pieces of bright ware are getting re-plated. I was able to secure a new (old) heater control unit and will replace that also, along with a number of other small jobs. Car will then get roadworthy tested and put onto the road. 

IMG_6573.jpg

New plates secured also

Some minor trim work needs to be done to tidy up the interior and I am getting the wheel re-trimmed by Gary Blackman. 

Once the car is registered I will replace the tyres and then decide how to tackle to body work. 

• 1 month later...

Michel, wheel trim is typically $350-$400 - to standard spec in high quality leather - I paid $350 to have my 928 wheel redone

BUT Bad news - I found out just before Christmas that Gary Blackman in Cremorne is shutting up shop. Word is his building became just way too valuable and he has sold that and taken a decision to retire - my understanding is the guy who did the steering wheel restitching has moved to another trimmer in Melbourne and taken the equipment with him, I will find out and report back

Wow! didn't that scrub up well, can't wait to see the final results

I'm doing a similar mechanical resto on my S1 924T, these cars were truly unloved

What have you decided to do with the dash? Mine is a lot worse than yours, so will need some major surgery

Wow! didn't that scrub up well, can't wait to see the final results

I'm doing a similar mechanical resto on my S1 924T, these cars were truly unloved

What have you decided to do with the dash? Mine is a lot worse than yours, so will need some major surgery

I'm also doing a S1 resto ..... very slowly mind you ....  you are correct, they really were unloved.

So far I've found my oil cooler bypassed and one of the fuel lines from the CIS pump disconnected and totally re-routed including moving the fuel filter ..... :wacko:

It amazes me as to what people were thinking .....

Oh well ..... at least it will get the love it deserves and will live to see a few more years .....

I'm also doing a S1 resto ..... very slowly mind you ....  you are correct, they really were unloved.

So far I've found my oil cooler bypassed and one of the fuel lines from the CIS pump disconnected and totally re-routed including moving the fuel filter ..... :wacko:

It amazes me as to what people were thinking .....

Oh well ..... at least it will get the love it deserves and will live to see a few more years .....

That's so common, these cars were all run into the ground pretty much, and when the bill to repair got too high according to the owner that thought Porsche ownership could be had "on the cheap" then they were left to die.

Not many around, we are all the better for it by saving one each, though if I had my time again I would have gone out and found the cleanest best maintained one I could find, and just buy that to drive and enjoy

Not many around, we are all the better for it by saving one each, though if I had my time again I would have gone out and found the cleanest best maintained one I could find, and just buy that to drive and enjoy

The only problem with that is there are none left to choose from .....

The only ones left are the ones that were on their way to the wreckers and were saved by some miracle .....

Just think ..... by the time these 3 are finished, there will be 3 good ones to choose from and we can command a premium ..... :D

Picked mine up from the auto elec today a month after I dropped it off. It had a hot wired coil,a hot wired fuel pump and a host of other mods all resulting in a coil that spewed its guts all over the front of the car. Now gone from a non runner to drive able  car with ice cold aircon.

Archived