Show me your garage!

So we're about to embark on a bit of a major reno and I'll finally have a 2 car 6x6 garage to house the porker. Will be low on funds but definitely want to build up my garage to allow me to work on the car. Show me what you got but some interesting garages that I've come across :

Minimalistic layout - Ammonyc 

landscape-1477665341-screen-shot-2016-10

Mighty car mods used Industrial shelving which may be an affordable option

MCM_Banner_with_Moog_Product_Shot_1024x1

Or the ultimate would be Jack Olsen's 12 Gauge Garage

Jacksgarage_02_800.jpg

I just settled the purchase on this shed on Monday morning - there's a house next it too :ph34r:.  My long suffering wife is managing the moving whilst I'm away for work :Sweating:

Can't wait to see it up close (and empty).  5.5 bays of space, epoxy floors, mezzanine storage, and 4-post hoist.  I'm a little bit excited about buying a new (to me) Porsche to house in there with the other cars and bikes.

These pics are from the sales ad (with PO's collection of Caddys):

2v82zo5.jpg

2m7hwz8.jpg

2uqy5is.jpg

Will post some more once I get some time at home in the coming weeks.

2v82zo5.jpg

2m7hwz8.jpg

2uqy5is.jpg

Will post some more once I get some time at home in the coming weeks

I don't think you need to post anymore pics thanks.  Do you really need a house with that? Jeeeeebus!!!

Hoist are not that expensive if your not buying a work shop grade hoist ,,,you can get brand new two post hoist for around $3000 for the enthusiast had mine for a couple of years with zero issues ,they make life some much easier ..

qjy230b-E-QJY240B-E(graphics)small-500x5

spring_cleaning_on_the_997_001.jpg

I just settled the purchase on this shed on Monday morning - there's a house next it too :ph34r:.  My long suffering wife is managing the moving whilst I'm away for work :Sweating:

Can't wait to see it up close (and empty).  5.5 bays of space, epoxy floors, mezzanine storage, and 4-post hoist.  I'm a little bit excited about buying a new (to me) Porsche to house in there with the other cars and bikes.

These pics are from the sales ad (with PO's collection of Caddys):

2v82zo5.jpg

2m7hwz8.jpg

2uqy5is.jpg

Will post some more once I get some time at home in the coming weeks.

Yep, that's a garage right there!

Hoist are not that expensive if your not buying a work shop grade hoist ,,,you can get brand new two post hoist for around $3000 for the enthusiast had mine for a couple of years with zero issues ,they make life some much easier ..

Raven how often do you get it up??  The hoist :)   Mine has been reliable King hoist , I will buy a two poster as part of my next setup

I reckon one of each private pang .. a 2 poster and 4 poster Kinghoist also have one on casters , I have put a heavy old english tank up on it and wheeled it around the workshop with a mate . Good to have drop trays and be able to drove another car underneath without worry and leave it there…  

Photo%204-11-2016%205%2045%2000%20PM_zps

Raven how often do you get it up??  The hoist :)   Mine has been reliable King hoist , I will buy a two poster as part of my next setup

I reckon one of each private pang .. a 2 poster and 4 poster Kinghoist also have one on casters , I have put a heavy old english tank up on it and wheeled it around the workshop with a mate . Good to have drop trays and be able to drove another car underneath without worry and leave it there…  

I go through periods were I use it a lot and then periods were I don,t ,we have four cars in the house hold ,,,just depends on witch car needs attention ,,,my track car spends more time on the hoist than any other car I put it up generally after a sprint meet ,,every thing gets checked over and if work needed it gets done ,,,The P car spends the least amount of time on there to be honest .........Like most of us I spent my youth jacking the car up and laying under it working on it ,,,,after having a hoist there is no way I could go with out one best tool in the work shop well worth the money .. 

Oil change on the MNR 

Vortx_on_hoist_(1).jpg

I wouldn't mind a hoist. My garage is a 2 car UMR and has enough height. But for the amount of times it would be used I'll just use someone else's.  One side of my garage has my 911. The other side has my clothes line and all my crap.  I did have a resident mouse population, but they recently moved out.

Hoist are not that expensive if your not buying a work shop grade hoist ,,,you can get brand new two post hoist for around $3000 for the enthusiast had mine for a couple of years with zero issues ,they make life some much easier .

I never realised they were so cheap, I hadn't looked at pricing but thought they'd but much more than that. Now I just need a bigger garage...

I can't seem to find a 2-poster or scissor lift that starts a point lower than the car clearance (under 90mm). I don't want to have to jack up the car to be able to put hoist pads underneath and driving up ramps to first get underbody clearance seems a bit cumbersome. How are people getting the hoists low enough to get underneath? Perhaps a scissor lift recessed into the garage floor is the go for lower cars ??

I can't seem to find a 2-poster or scissor lift that starts a point lower than the car clearance (under 90mm). I don't want to have to jack up the car to be able to put hoist pads underneath and driving up ramps to first get underbody clearance seems a bit cumbersome. How are people getting the hoists low enough to get underneath? Perhaps a scissor lift recessed into the garage floor is the go for lower cars ??

These are light as anything , I have a set on the floor and make life so easy  , best 70 bucks I spent in a while , whilst im in my rental and back to using a trolley jack

LOW RISE RAMPS FOR TROLLEY JACK LOWERED RACE CAR Jacking Stands Portable Profile

I never realised they were so cheap, I hadn't looked at pricing but thought they'd but much more than that. Now I just need a bigger garage...

If you buy something like a Molnar you are going to pay double ,,,,yes the Molnar is a proper workshop grade hoist that is designed for commercial use and is better quality than the Cheaper Chinese made hoists like Tuff lift , pro master Etc..

But as weekend car guys we really are not going to use the hoist like the hours a auto work shop or business would ..At the end of the day there really isn,t a great deal that can go wrong with them at worst you could suffer a Hydraulic pump failure and need to replace it ,,,these are not very expensive and are  very easy to replace ...

I looked at buying a high end brand like Molnar originally ,,but after doing a lot of research and talking to people who owned hoists most said to go the cheaper Chinese made option as I wasn,t going to be putting it through constant daily use and the Chinese brands were more than up to the job that I required ,,,had it for over two years now and no issues ..

My MNR is very low I have to just push it up on some 200 x 45 timbers to give me the clearance to get the pads under ... I use the same technique on the P car drive it up on the timbers and it works fine ..

Flamingporsche - Geez we can close this thread down now. You have a ripper of a work-space there.

I really like the AmmoNYC video showing his new garage space. That's the kind of setup I aspire to. The flooring really makes his space in my opinion. :D 

Garage

I would cheap-out on the joinery and spend the money on a hoist. I dream of having a hoist...

I obviously took the opposite approach...

MrsMcRev often reminds me the garage cabinetry (not quite finished here) is better than the kitchen.Garage

The Happ 2 post hoist starts at $2,200.

They can provide you with the certification for workshops on any model for a fee which was one of the reasons I have confidence in the product. The only poor review I found was some muppet that thought he was talking about Happ when it turned out not to be their brand.

My plan for the low car is the same as above. 2 x 200mm wide 45mm thick pine planks to drive onto. Lift car and remove timber.

Happ can supply low car ramps for you to drive up onto for this reason.

I'll do a review when I'm set up.

Archived