Are Wide Body Weekend Blasters/Hotrod 911s worth anything when being sold?

Times must have changed, & now "Originality" seems to be the hot selling point.

My dreams of building a G series Turbo Tribute 911, like Uncle did 4/5 years ago, are really out of fashion and maybe a waste of money & time.

Apart from the fun factor, people tell me that I am shedding value on my 911 investment.

So are these Wide Body Weekend Blasters/Hotrods worth anything when they come up for sale??

Do they sit around on CarSales / eBay / GumTree waiting for a babyboomer to win tatslotto - or are they quickly sold to enthusiasts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When prices started going haywire for anything aircooled, there were numerous discussions about this subject.

The general consensus was that you will "never" get the money invested back. There were 2 reasons for this ....

1. Originality is the new flavour.

2. As everyone has a different vision for their artwork, the chances are that whatever you end up doing will either be not enough for some buyers, too much for some buyers and the wrong specs for others ....

Then there were the ones that said ..."do whatever the hell you like and what makes you happy" .... they must be the ones with too much money ... :lol:

At the end of the day, yes, do what makes you happy but don't expect a return on investment if it can't easily be returned to original with all of the pieces supplied at time of sale (or even returned by you before advertising it) .....

Happy Motoring!!

It all depends on what you do and where you start. If you are starting with a RHD, Aus delivered car, then you are really shooting yourself in the foot, as the original car will always be worth more. In my case, I started with a basket case, rusty, converted car, that I got for a crazy cheap price. Basically anywhere I went from there was up, and in my case, as I am doing everything myself, I believe my car is worth quite a bit more than it cost me. That said, my car is built to a very individual taste (or some may say lack of it) so that it would probably be quite hard to sell as it stands (although I could pretty easily tone down the interior and it would be a lot more palatable to many).

All that aside, if I was doing it to make the most return for my dollar, and time it would have been much cheaper and easier to tidy the car back up to stock and call it a day.

In my case it is nice to know that I could get back what I put in if the sh!t hit the fan, but in reality I don't see myself selling it. I built it for me, not for resale. 

I would have thought it depends on a few things; local vs international, or what you intend to do with it (drive it hopefully!) or is the question do you get your money back?  As I can recall quite a few 'modded 911s' have changed hands for big money on the international market and were far from original. The Bearded man and Singer build desirable modded 911s - agreed thats on the upper end of the market but the point is that there is a market none the less. Even Flyin.Hawaiin (dont recall his actual name)  pulled $220k for his RSR tribute http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-porsche-9111973-rsr-recreation/ 

My dreams of building a G series Turbo Tribute 911, like Uncle did 4/5 years ago, are really out of fashion and maybe a waste of money & time.

If it gives you enjoyment and makes your dream come true, build and enjoy!

I don't see myself selling it. I built it for me, not for resale. 

Exactly! :D

I love seeing some people's faces when I tell them my hotrod started life as a pristine Aus delivered car. 

You'd think I'd blown up an orphanage, given their reaction.

Hmmm -you are a master of understatement:

1/ Pristine 911

2/ Aus delivered = orig RHD

That's not just "blown up an orphanage" - that's blowing up Mother Teresa as weii.

How much do you want to spend.... https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1985/SSE-AD-4771912

Generally speaking as soo as you modify anything you de-value it. If you must/ want to/ need to, best to buy one that is either already done/ part done or needs some work to bring it up to standard, then you may break even. But then again if you are doing it just for/ with one eye firmly on re-sale (ie, the person who buys it next) why bother?

They are completely worthless. 

So being the very sympathetic man that I am, Ill give you $20k for all of your bastardised most delicious hot rodded cars. 

Took the words right out of my mouth, absolutely worthless :D

I know I am a little late to this thread but in answer to your question it all depends on whats been done to the car ,,,,eg if its a tasteful backdate or a car that has had an  engine power  upgrade say a 3.2 taken to 3.5 with ITBS and other go fast parts ,,,,then Yes I would spend the money if the car appealed to me ....

But when I see these cars that have had large plastic rear wings and other fiber glass parts poorly fitted and look like some ungodly frankenstein creations I would have to say no .........sadly there are a lot of these horrors shows currently up for sale and a few have been posted already ,,,I shake my head in frustration at some of these creations ...some people really have bad taste when it comes to modified 911,s  ..:o

Depends who you ask

Me, I'd buy a hot rod/ modified/ backdated car over a mint period correct car any day if the week. Mainly because they're cheaper, yet I also can't see the value in spending silly money on an air cooled 911 that I'll be scared to drive for fear of decreasing it's value. Boring

I like a nice original 911 for sure, yet  I'm also a firm believer in driving the hell out of the thing instead of thinking what it's worth.   If you want a hot rod tribute car, you either do it to yours, or sell it and buy a car that you CAN do it to without giving a toss about value

I love seeing some people's faces when I tell them my hotrod started life as a pristine Aus delivered car. 

You'd think I'd blown up an orphanage, given their reaction.

Poor darlings!

I heard well done hotrods are currently selling strongly in the US, so perhaps the pendulum will swing. But the danger in modifying a car is that you stuff it. Many do. Don't be that guy.

Another perspective is if you buy a new 911 you suffer terrible depreciation (even if it is better than other brands) which will make what you dropped on the hotrod seem manageable. But ultimately it's a matter of what you can afford and if an old hotrod is what you want.

I'm building a hotrod from a shell and never mind what you might sell it for, the bigger issue is what you're going to spend on parts and labour I reckon.

Hmmm -you are a master of understatement:

1/ Pristine 911

2/ Aus delivered = orig RHD

That's not just "blown up an orphanage" - that's blowing up Mother Teresa as weii.

it is a factory sunroof delete car as well

This has been sitting on Carsales ages and even with reposting with the price lowered hasn't budged. If memory serves me correctly this started with 6 figures...

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1983/SSE-AD-2917785/?Cr=14

the guy selling this car had it at some unreasonable price originally on the basis of "the car it is replicating is worth $XX so this is worth $XX". logic fail.

even now it's still over priced with that engine, would be bang on if it had a 3.6

But the danger in modifying a car is that you stuff it. Many do. Don't be that guy.

I'm building a hotrod from a shell

I hope you don't stuff up the colour choice!

The crazy thing is, the people who are afraid to modify standard cars, or will only buy original cars still wish they could modify it. They continue to drive up original car prices and at the same time lust after something a bit more. It is a vicious circle, and one I am thankfully not caught up in.

Original cars don't really interest me, unless they are something rare or have a special history, give me the modified car every day.

I admire and respect pure original old classics... Hat off to those who spend the effort to maintain the originality... Good on ya. I drool over a tastefully done modded car like a singer, made better than original. I like the old classic  lookbut with newer technology.   But The back yard slap together plastic fender dune buggy job...  That's a big no! They're the worthless ones.

so, there's modded cars and then there's modded cars... Not all one bucket, but many different styles.

btw, @clutch-monkey.... You're going to hell.

IF you plan to sell it, dont modify it. If you plan to keep it, well go nuts. 

You never get money back for modified cars, and well no one really likes buying other peoples project. there's a small percentage who would actually buy someone elses build. 

I'm in the same boat as Jeff. Started with something crazy cheap, and there is no possible way I can lose out on my particular car. Also agree with him on the modified car over a stock one. I like the fact you can make the car what you like, not what someone else likes. 

Mine isn't as out there as Jeff's either (not that there is anythign wrong with his, I like the Orange) so it might appeal to a broader market. Not that I plan on selling it.

With all that said, if I was looking to buy a car, I don't think a well done modified car would turn me off (those horrible ones posted already would), chances are I would prefer it over a stock one.

Archived