Best protective film i've seen!

Pauly

That Xpel wrap looks really interesting Pauly. Seems to work well for scratches but I wonder how it goes with bird poop and other contaminants? Some people say it won't allow for as high a gloss as a paint and coating combo. Do they only do clear wraps or are other colours available?

I wonder what it costs in Australia to have a whole car wrapped...I see there are a couple of dealers in Brisbane hmm.

Some people say it won't allow for as high a gloss as a paint and coating combo.

That is what I am wondering about. I have been looking at doing something like this, but I was thinking of just doing the front end of my car, and the rear guards, but I am worried the gloss won't match the parts of the car that hasn't been covered.

If you use Suntek it will match - Suntek film gives your car the "wet" look always but as a protective film, it isn't as great as Xpel. It is rather thin. I had 3M ventureshield on my old GTI then had it redone in Suntek after hail damage. Even though the Ventureshield didn't look as good, it was double the thickness of the Suntek film. It protected the paint when the car was sideswiped by an idiot in his Commodore. No repainting required, just PDR.

That is what I am wondering about. I have been looking at doing something like this, but I was thinking of just doing the front end of my car, and the rear guards, but I am worried the gloss won't match the parts of the car that hasn't been covered.

I did think of you about this wrap. 

P.s i saw the video where you dropped the front quarter. Ouch :(

It`s quite easy to spot under flouro`s ,but you have to look damn hard in natural light. I recently had the front bar redone in the new stuff and it is much harder too see than the previous generation film, which did it`s job by protecting the paint perfectly from stone chips, a branch that tore it and a glancing Roo strike.

it's available through Car Care Products, We were hitting some earlier today with a wire brush on the boss's car - pour on hot water and it self-heals.

He has most stuff done on his car aside from the boot lid and rear bumper, and you can't tell it's not covered

Pricing starts at about $1500 for the most basic front covering, up to $2500 to do the front of a medium sized car and then up to about $10k for a full Landcruiser.

Unfortunately, XPEL needs to have the template for your car to be able to have it coated - some strange cars AREN'T on the software (R32 GTR for example)

Unfortunately, XPEL needs to have the template for your car to be able to have it coated - some strange cars AREN'T on the software (R32 GTR for example)

With the US now allowing the import of the R32, it won't be long before a template is made.

it's available through Car Care Products, We were hitting some earlier today with a wire brush on the boss's car - pour on hot water and it self-heals.

He has most stuff done on his car aside from the boot lid and rear bumper, and you can't tell it's not covered

Pricing starts at about $1500 for the most basic front covering, up to $2500 to do the front of a medium sized car and then up to about $10k for a full Landcruiser.

Great info. Thanks for the rough pricing Russ.

Looks interesting but my main concern is bug guts as that is what has done the most visible damage to the films I have had in the past.  The paint is still protected but the wrap starts to look grubby pretty quickly compared to scratches and chips. 

• 1 month later...

Gents, I'm looking at putting a film over the complete car on delivery.  The little bit of research is saying: paint correction straight of the shop floor, then Film and then something like ceramic pro. ?  Thoughts?

Aslo I see two XPEL applicator workshops in Brisbane, anyone had experience ? good or bad ? 

Gents, I'm looking at putting a film over the complete car on delivery.  The little bit of research is saying: paint correction straight of the shop floor, then Film and then something like ceramic pro. ?  Thoughts?

Aslo I see two XPEL applicator workshops in Brisbane, anyone had experience ? good or bad ? 

Have a look at Obsessed Garage on YouTube, Matt who is extremely particular about his cars and the products he uses (as you can probably guess by the name of his channel) has just taken delivery of his new GT3RS and is going through a step by step process to full wrap and coating.  At this stage he has has done full decom and is just about to start correction.  In the first instalment he goes through all the steps he will go through and I think mentioned the type of wrap he will be using as well. 

Have a look at Obsessed Garage on YouTube, Matt who is extremely particular about his cars and the products he uses (as you can probably guess by the name of his channel) has just taken delivery of his new GT3RS and is going through a step by step process to full wrap and coating.  At this stage he has has done full decom and is just about to start correction.  In the first instalment he goes through all the steps he will go through and I think mentioned the type of wrap he will be using as well. 

Thanks for that, not bad detail and conversation.  Great find :)

So steps so far: (will fill in / update for any interested in as he drops more videos on line)

1/ Foam Wash and Rinse

2/ Chemical decontamination: Gyeon (?) 

3/ Mechanical decontamination: clay disk (or clay bar) 

4/ Paint Preparation, thickness etc.

5/ Polish. Two stage.

5/ Clear Film (tba) Suntek ultra clear film

6/ Coating ? {tba ?]

Thats a good point. hadn't thought about that.   Anyone had experience with the XPEL here ?

I've got xpel ultimate on the front of my wife's 2016 Lexus RX. Can tell it's there when looking very closely if you know it's been applied. Had it applied by a close friend who did it in his garage. He has all the gear as he relocated recently from Taiwan where he had a small business applying protective films on exotics. Doesn't cut film on the car which is the biggest consideration. He has a big laser cutter and access to all the templates required. I can ask or put you in touch but he's overseas until the end of the month.

i would not hesitate to put it on to a new exotic car given the potential resale value of a flawless finish. The Lexus isn't exactly an "exotic" but was keen to see what my mate could do. 

Thanks Jase.  I ended up catching up with Rob from The detailing studio here in Brisbane today. Had a good chat and was impressed by knowledge and attention to detail when required. Im going to try it (XPEL) on my Black RS3 as a trial run. Out of interest he said they put a coating on top of the XPEL ultimate, but different to the ceramic / quartz etc..

Great choice. I wouldn’t hesitate to put it on your incoming gt3. I waxed the whole car (RX350 f sport white) after xpel applied to the front and the car looks consistent. That’s what my friend/Xpel guy suggested. There were a few small air bubbles on some panels post application that disappeared within a few weeks. If you want to look at a car with xpel rather than doing the rs3, pm me. I’m in Brisbane south and work central. 

I’ll be getting the 997 done once I sort out the chips and paint correction

• 4 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 12:04 AM, Jase11 said:

I've got xpel ultimate on the front of my wife's 2016 Lexus RX. Can tell it's there when looking very closely if you know it's been applied. Had it applied by a close friend who did it in his garage. He has all the gear as he relocated recently from Taiwan where he had a small business applying protective films on exotics. Doesn't cut film on the car which is the biggest consideration. He has a big laser cutter and access to all the templates required. I can ask or put you in touch but he's overseas until the end of the month.

i would not hesitate to put it on to a new exotic car given the potential resale value of a flawless finish. The Lexus isn't exactly an "exotic" but was keen to see what my mate could do. 

@LuNguyen     @Jase11  you got contacts for your buddy plse

• 1 year later...

As a Master Detailer CCP and expel are the go to. These films are constantly developing and improving and easy to work with once installed.

With  the post advertising though #CarCareProducts  may be appropriate to chip in as a financial member?