Porsche 911 Carrera T, a throwback to the 911T

edgy

I don't understand the negativity around Porsche's new models and the multiple variants they offer. I think we're lucky Porsche offer so many choices. Would we rather a single offering? And even if you don't like what they sell out of the box, buy the best base that suits you and mod the F$*K out of it!

spoken like a true glamper :ph34r:

I don't understand the negativity around Porsche's new models and the multiple variants they offer. 

don't mistake my awe of their business model with negativity

Their product planners and marketers continue to do a stellar job rolling out products we didn't know we needed and selling them out before a single car is delivered.  And based on spec vs price I have no doubt margins continue to strengthen.  As I've said elsewhere, as a business owner, I say hats off the the folks at Porsche.  

spoken like a true glamper :ph34r:

you know I'm confused and torn right now, new v old. One minute I need a 356 Super 90, the next I can't live without a spanking GT3, wtf...

US Confusilator is up, so I thought I would have a play at speccing one out. 

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJA7CLJ5 

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-25%20at%201.16.4

mmmmm white!

When the T was around, the Carrera was the hottest model.

The raping and pillaging of the heritage and back catalog will continue until no more boomers buying cars.

This is true but I don't feel the people buying these cars are like you and I. I/We already have a Porsche and don't intend on buying a new Porsche anytime soon, maybe ever. But there is a growing market of  Guys and Gals that love the older classic's (who doesn't?) but are not prepared to live with one on a daily basis. Keeping in mind a neat 901 will be mid to high 100's, looking at a new 991 isn't that far of a stretch and you can still claim it has "heritage" so you can hang out at C&C and not feel like just a rich player. 

Whilst Porsche is trying to make money of the older cars (restoration works etc.) the real money is in the new cars - so I guess if they can make them "old" then they are cornering that middle market of people who want something special but also something modern/practical. Just my current theory though............

I think you have nailed it with the boomers comment though. 

You buy it, own it for 3 years, maintain it, keep the KM's low, sell it to me.......

You know the drill

Listen, try to make this easy for me.  Spec the car on the conflagrator, give me the code and then collect it from Ten Gallon Porsche, Houston in 3 months.  Pay me 40% then and I won't have to faff around driving it for 3 years, worrying about looking after it for you....Sheesh.

912. Throw the 718 GTS engine out the back

Next year they will put the 4 cylinder in it. 

it was only a matter of time before the media jumped on the 912 train. A flatulent turbo 4 in a 991.......how exciting ? 

a fat exhaust and monster blow off valve and you could become an honorary member of the WRX club.

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/15421/porsche-needs-to-build-a-new-912

Edited by DJM

it was only a matter of time before the media jumped on the 912 train. A flatulent turbo 4 in a 991.......how exciting ? 

a fat exhaust and monster blow off valve and you could become an honorary member of the WRX club.

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/15421/porsche-needs-to-build-a-new-912

how sad it is 

'Why not bring back the 912' Yeah good one asshat.

You can imagine the factory saying 'Yeah, let's get a 911 body, stuff a 4 cylinder turbo in it and say it's festooned with the DNA of the historic 912 which are soooo collectable now' 'Buyers will flock to the showrooms!' May aswell have called the 718 Cayman a 912.  Sorry, I know it's just a motoring journo suggesting it, but I don't care how well off people are, to me its all laughable marketing gibberish with these special tribute models, same as the 911R and new 911T. I know my favourite 'modern' car the Sport Classic isn't to everyone's taste, but that had a lot more than just removing the stereo and some wanky decals. Build a Cup Car for the road, now THAT would be special! 

• 4 years later...
On 26/10/2017 at 09:17, hugh said:

This is true but I don't feel the people buying these cars are like you and I. I/We already have a Porsche and don't intend on buying a new Porsche anytime soon, maybe ever. But there is a growing market of  Guys and Gals that love the older classic's (who doesn't?) but are not prepared to live with one on a daily basis. Keeping in mind a neat 901 will be mid to high 100's, looking at a new 991 isn't that far of a stretch and you can still claim it has "heritage" so you can hang out at C&C and not feel like just a rich player. 

Whilst Porsche is trying to make money of the older cars (restoration works etc.) the real money is in the new cars - so I guess if they can make them "old" then they are cornering that middle market of people who want something special but also something modern/practical. Just my current theory though............

I think you have nailed it with the boomers comment though. 

Hi.  Just back from an 11 hour drive in my 993 C2S and was following a 991 911T.  Got me interested. Does anyone know if the Au market got any 991 911T with light weight buckets and manual - or even pdk with those seats. Interested. Thanks. 

ps. Good post Hugh. 

19 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

Does anyone know if the Au market got any 991 911T with light weight buckets and manual - or even pdk with those seats.

I remember a guards red PDK with light weight buckets sold at Porsche in Melbourne a few months ago. 

1 hour ago, mc968cs said:

Does anyone know if the Au market got any 991 911T with light weight buckets and manual - or even pdk with those seats. Interested. Thanks. 

Yes Aus did receive that spec. Not sure how many though. 

One that I looked at:

991 Carrera T - Guards Red, Manual, bucket seats. 

Last sold by PCCS mid 2020 (very low kms at that point).