Best period of sports car production for Porsche

Left field topic for light contemplation on a Thursday evening. 

Whilst Porsche these days is a 4wd manufacturer that just happens to make sports cars, I have been pondering lately whether despite this they may also be experiencing their best ever period of excellence in sports car manufacturing.

Since the introduction of the 997/987 generation cars have they ever continuously built a series of such capable/brilliant sports cars?

What do people think?

What's your favourite generation of Porsche sports car production?

17 minutes ago, lazydave said:

Left field topic for light contemplation on a Thursday evening. 

Whilst Porsche these days is a 4wd manufacturer that just happens to make sports cars, I have been pondering lately whether despite this they may also be experiencing their best ever period of excellence in sports car manufacturing.

Since the introduction of the 997/987 generation cars have they ever continuously built a series of such capable/brilliant sports cars?

What do people think?

What's your favourite generation of Porsche sports car production?

1968 - 1975

911S’s to 2.7 Carrera. 

don,t get me wrong I love the older cars and feel they are a must have item for any Porsche purist ............but you would have to admit Porsche seems to be on top of their game currently with their Sports car range or for me their GT range ...GT2 ,GT3 ,GT4 ,,,,,each generation just seems to be more epic than the last ..

I think they've had several "excellent vintages" . . .  for example:

70-73 -  the 2.2 and 2.4 long hoods, culminating of course in the 73RS (Grange!!)

the 993 vintage

the 997 vintage

They've also had some "solid but not exceptional vintages" that produced an occasional stunning surprise .  For example, the 991R or the 3.2 Clubsport or the Cayman GT4.

+1 on the Mezger.   If your into tinkering, 996 turbo hands down.    Circa 80hp/80ft/lb tq  from a tune and exhaust for 6k.   Stock K16 turbo housing and some work on the compressor wheels, ancillaries and tweaking of a ECU box (costs 3k if you brick or fry it for a new one) and you can push the straightness of the factory rods.  eg 600hp.  Maybe even get it instaboosting at as low as 1500 rpm as well  if you are a non conformist.  i.e Don't most Mezger owners focus on the other end of the rpm gauge.

For me it's the 80's as that's when the posters were up on my wall of dream cars as a kid. I couldn't quite stretch to a Ferarri F40 so had to settle for a black 911 coupe.

I need to backdate my stereo to a tape player and chuck on some David Lee Roth for the ultimate experience. ?

It stands to reason that with the passage of time and accumulation of expertise - not to mention massive competition - that the cars would get better.
The question is , when is the tipping point for when they no longer set the heart racing? Lack of noise might be the factor, and the noise police are currently mating with the speed & pollution police.

Of course , I think the 356 Carrera GT ("GT" not a "sports car" lol) and the 904/906 range were the apogee for rawness, noise and road feel. Not that I've driven any of them...

I've a had a couple of laps in a GT3RS so whilst it's uber capable etc etc , I'd be perfectly happy with any of the older sports models. 

• 4 weeks later...

No argument from me that the newer GT's, etc are extraordinary cars but for me the "sport" is the battle between driver and car trying it's best to kill you (or at least make you think about your own mortality).  Outright speed takes a back seat to the satisfaction of feeling like you've tamed the beast just a little bit and lived to tell the tale.  So for me it's the dinosaur era cars built before all the electronic nanny stuff took the edge off. 

52 minutes ago, Grinner said:

My favourite era is from around 1993-1995. 928GTS, 993 and 968. Exceptional build quality in this period. 

Looking at a 993 would the cabin be more roomy than earlier models? Are they a more refined car but still with analog feel?

1 minute ago, Peter John said:

Looking at a 993 would the cabin be more roomy than earlier models? Are they a more refined car but still with analog feel?

Hard for me to answer as the 993 is the only Porsche I have ever driven, however I love the size of the car as it is quite small, but plenty of room in the front and little seats in the back that my nine year old daughter can fit into.

Archived