992 GT3 to be turbo charged.....surely not!

DJM

Engines and power outputs

The future 911 range, including the GT3, will exclusively use turbocharged six-cylinder engines, marking the end of naturally aspirated units for the line-up

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2019-porsche-911

and how hideous does the rear end of the 992 mule look......

sb1_4072.jpg

It was inevitable.

High revving TT engines are fantastic. 

The GT ethos I also around being the hard man of the range.  Sure, NA is part of the current GT3 DNA but so was mechanical injection part of the 911 DNA in the Carrera back in the 70’s. 

Things change ... we’ve seen that Porsche rarely kicks an own goal in anything it does. 

The cabriolet mule is butt ugly.  Like what I did there ...?

I've always through the NA days were numbered with the GT range...given the relative ease of squeezing more power out of blown engines.  A shame...but inevitable.  I find it interesting that so often engineering progress seems to be at the expense of relative visceral joy - mfi being a great example.  Sure motronic and more recent systems are far more efficient but the sound mfi offered was amazing.  Similarly, blown units will always be better performers, but the feel and sound can't be the same as a free spinning NA mill. 

I don't get it! Hw can Ferrari, Lamborghini and even Audi in the R8 all still have large displacement NA engines but Porsche cannot!!?? 

Are these companies better at making engines than Porsche?? Sure Ferrari makes some turbos as does Audi, but not Lamborghini!

Will be interesting to see it pan out, but the constant legislative squeeze put on automotive companies to improve emissions and their own desires to keep improving performance makes it tough. Re the other manufacturers, from the little I know the emissions game is a tough one. You can have some cars that don't quite get the numbers and offset this against other cars in your lineup that far outstrip them to achieve an average that meets the requirements. VAG group has a fair amount of scope here. Although this wont excuse you from meeting the strict requirements of the US for individual models,  a market  you can't really afford to ignore. Although apparently deals can be struck. Emerging markets in China etc are making the US slightly less important. 

For the speculators it surely makes the 991.2 a good thing. 

4 hours ago, ANF said:

I don't get it! Hw can Ferrari, Lamborghini and even Audi in the R8 all still have large displacement NA engines but Porsche cannot!!?? 

Are these companies better at making engines than Porsche?? Sure Ferrari makes some turbos as does Audi, but not Lamborghini!

I think you hit the nail on the head, all the competitors either have BIG displacement or turbo. 4 litres NA just isn`t competetive in the HP race

5 hours ago, ANF said:

I don't think it is that Porsche cannot, currently 500hp out of their 4.0L is a 125hp per Litre, Huracan is what? 610hp at best? thats a little shy of Porsche in the HP per litre stakes. 

I'd imagine its more of a prudential planning thing, they know its inevitable so they may as well ensure they are going to get the mileage out of the next generation platform & powertrain ... and hopefully still be able to sell them, both from a market desirability standpoint and from regulatory demands. Both climates are changing you see... 

I agree, its not the same having a GT3 that is FI, but that is the whole ethos of 911, it evolves with time and its environment... at the end, when we look back, we get a unique 911 time capsule with every generation. 

I'd personally be interested in a Hybrid 911 as a daily driver... I'll be willing to bet my left one that its plenty fast for a road car.

OK guys, calling all GT anoraks - if we are really serious about this....... 

I think they should make a GT car for the true Porsche purists. None of this modern Mezger nonsense, thats all so 70's. If you really are a true Porsche GT purist then it will be 4cyl, air cooled, 1600cc rear engined and put out 113 Horsepower. Oh, none of this PDK bullshit, you will have a 4 speed manual non syncro-mesh. No aircon, no radio, no 12v electrics to get in the way. It will be balls to the wall true GT driving as Porsche always envisaged it and if you are really skilful and can change gears with a nice heel toe action you might be able to beat a Toyota Prius over a 400m drag race......but probably not; this is the true incarnation of a Porsche GT car remember and if Porsche had zero R&D, never altered the secret sauce and stuck to its GT guns thats what they would be selling today.....

For the non purist they should offer a 600HP+ PDK driven beast called a GT3 Turbo that smokes 400m in just over 2 seconds; it will be as fast or faster than all but a handful of cars ever made, it will have aircon, 4 wheel steer, satnav and surround sound stereo.....and 12v electrics

Would much rather a smaller loud NA with electric torque fill.

Side note: All this drama to save less than 1% of total CO2 emissions. I'm all for doing something about climate change but even if you banned every car and truck from the road overnight it's only 7% of global emissions. Making real change with the industries that matter: power generation, construction, materials and manufacturing are much harder. All this fluffing about with cars reeks of 'being seen' to be doing something about climate change without actually doing anything so the oligarchs and big business can continue to make hay for another generation.

9 hours ago, sleazius said:

Side note: All this drama to save less than 1% of total CO2 emissions. I'm all for doing something about climate change but even if you banned every car and truck from the road overnight it's only 7% of global emissions. Making real change with the industries that matter: power generation, construction, materials and manufacturing are much harder. All this fluffing about with cars reeks of 'being seen' to be doing something about climate change without actually doing anything so the oligarchs and big business can continue to make hay for another generation.

Too true!! The car industry is a soft target.....

12 hours ago, Ozvino said:

OK guys, calling all GT anoraks - if we are really serious about this....... 

I think they should make a GT car for the true Porsche purists. None of this modern Mezger nonsense, thats all so 70's. If you really are a true Porsche GT purist then it will be 4cyl, air cooled, 1600cc rear engined and put out 113 Horsepower. Oh, none of this PDK bullshit, you will have a 4 speed manual non syncro-mesh. No aircon, no radio, no 12v electrics to get in the way. It will be balls to the wall true GT driving as Porsche always envisaged it and if you are really skilful and can change gears with a nice heel toe action you might be able to beat a Toyota Prius over a 400m drag race......but probably not; this is the true incarnation of a Porsche GT car remember and if Porsche had zero R&D, never altered the secret sauce and stuck to its GT guns thats what they would be selling today.....

For the non purist they should offer a 600HP+ PDK driven beast called a GT3 Turbo that smokes 400m in just over 2 seconds; it will be as fast or faster than all but a handful of cars ever made, it will have aircon, 4 wheel steer, satnav and surround sound stereo.....and 12v electrics

Sounds like a Beetle........

13 hours ago, sleazius said:

I vote keep it a NA flat 6 for as long as possible and if they need an ultra competitive HP and torques supercar for competition in the power stakes with Fezzas and Lambos etc etc develope a new hero model just for that .... as for the side not re car emissions, yes all just virtue signalling and marketing for the consumer dollar and govt subsidies across the car companies.

Re climate change? Well nothing can be done to alter that, it is as it is in the era that we live - there's a big round orange ball up in the sky and a yellow thing made of cheese up there as well, that both have the lions share of weather impact - oh and not to mention the 1500 odd active volcanoes on land and the thousands under the seas....doh!!

• 2 weeks later...

You can't stop progress...but if that's the way it's going to go then maybe it's time to retire the GT3 nameplate, a 20 year run ain't so bad and in another 20 years time we can all look back at the halcyon days of atmo screamers with rose tinted glasses.

On ‎8‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, edgy said:

I don't think it is that Porsche cannot, currently 500hp out of their 4.0L is a 125hp per Litre, Huracan is what? 610hp at best? thats a little shy of Porsche in the HP per litre stakes. 

I'd imagine its more of a prudential planning thing, they know its inevitable so they may as well ensure they are going to get the mileage out of the next generation platform & powertrain ... and hopefully still be able to sell them, both from a market desirability standpoint and from regulatory demands. Both climates are changing you see... 

I agree, its not the same having a GT3 that is FI, but that is the whole ethos of 911, it evolves with time and its environment... at the end, when we look back, we get a unique 911 time capsule with every generation. 

I'd personally be interested in a Hybrid 911 as a daily driver... I'll be willing to bet my left one that its plenty fast for a road car.

I think more of the issue for me is that Porsche are now caught up in the horsepower war when it needn't be. Porsche cars for my mind are all about dynamics and handling, not ultimate HP! I don't want or need huge horsepower, would rather a nicely balanced car, and yes before anyone sneers I do drive a 928 and feel that my car does follow this, after all "only" 300 hp from 4.7 litres.... :)

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Going to happen sooner than later even if the faithful don,t like it we just have to accept the change ...................The RSR could have done with a turbo power plant at Daytona on the weekend ,,the Ford GT and Ferrari,s seem to have the edge on them ...

Archived