996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2001-porsche-911-996-carrera-11

Not a lot of interest in this old girl? Only a couple of bids, hope there’s no reserve and I pick it up for 40k 😝 

I recall speaking to the owner in Sydney years ago. From memory he was asking low 50’s…. 

CC ad states it’s being sold by a motor trader now… 

Will be interesting to see what happens in the last few hours, I’m sure it will get passed in.> I was wrong!

47 minutes ago, t888 said:

Wow it looks to have sold, $59k +6%. Sounds about right for a 996 manual at the moment IMO. 

Here's my view

996 cab manual say $50k

996 Coupe around $60k

996 C4s $70k

997 base carrera coupe manual $85k.

997 c2s around $95k

All assuming kms over 100k kms etc. 

That car will be closer to $70k once a lot of the deferred maintenance is sorted for worry free motoring, I think the result reflected that. 

Regardless, a six speed 996 coupe under $70k is still the best value 911 fun to be had. I am a bit biased though.

7 hours ago, Harsh said:

start the bidding from that point, or close to it. Otherwise what is the point!

Please allow me to make a counter point: It's important that a reserve be private because it prevents "no bid" auctions if a reserve is set to high.  One of the important functions of an auction is to allow the market to give a true reflection of the demand or value of an asset or commodity.  If the minimum bid in this case was say $100,000 and no bids below this were permitted, no one would have bidded and we would never learn the market value of this specimen was $69,000.  Conversely having a public reserve too low allows a low-bidder auction to clean up and set a new benchmark that is lower than the true value.  Other owners might see someone walk away with a $40,000 steal on a $20,000 reserve, but only because other potential bidders lost interest after seeing the sale price go twice the reserve.

Of course I am talking about the ideals of an auction, and there are a lot of bad actors out there gaming the system in various markets where auctions take place to cause perverse outcomes.

2 hours ago, JWM said:

Sold for $59k (plus fees)... Did one of you guys get it @kov, @Harsh?

No mate, I wasn’t serious about it.

I’m waiting for that C4S beauty to drop another 10k and then maybe give old mate a call.

1 hour ago, vinnytang said:

That car will be closer to $70k once a lot of the deferred maintenance is sorted for worry free motoring, I think the result reflected that. 

Regardless, a six speed 996 coupe under $70k is still the best value 911 fun to be had. I am a bit biased though.

IMS hadn’t been done so that’s 6/8k and I totally agree with you on road circa 70k

4 hours ago, vinnytang said:

For a UK delivered 996, you will likely have challenges selling it for 70k, even if that is a reasonable price after you have spent 11k if not more like 20k,

* PCCM+ Radio Update (Definitely worth it!)
* IMS + Clutch
* Tyres
* Suspension (and likely arms/ bushes)
* Motor and Gearbox mounts

2 minutes ago, AndrewM said:

For a UK delivered 996

Write up said "This original Australia-delivered model"...?

2 minutes ago, AndrewM said:

* IMS + Clutch
* Tyres
* Suspension (and likely arms/ bushes)

Agree it's very likely that anyone will need to do all on your list (+ engine and g/b mounts) for any 996 you buy today that hasn't had it done already ....

17 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

Please allow me to make a counter point: It's important that a reserve be private because it prevents "no bid" auctions if a reserve is set to high.  One of the important functions of an auction is to allow the market to give a true reflection of the demand or value of an asset or commodity.  If the minimum bid in this case was say $100,000 and no bids below this were permitted, no one would have bidded and we would never learn the market value of this specimen was $69,000.  Conversely having a public reserve too low allows a low-bidder auction to clean up and set a new benchmark that is lower than the true value.  Other owners might see someone walk away with a $40,000 steal on a $20,000 reserve, but only because other potential bidders lost interest after seeing the sale price go twice the reserve.

Of course I am talking about the ideals of an auction, and there are a lot of bad actors out there gaming the system in various markets where auctions take place to cause perverse outcomes.

agree with most of what you are saying, they don't even mention that there is a reserve on their page. I would expect the reserve to be a little closer to the expected final sale price. Anything more than that is a bonus for the vendor

19 hours ago, JWM said:

Sold for $59k (plus fees)... Did one of you guys get it @kov, @Harsh?

no 

36 minutes ago, Harsh said:

they don't even mention that there is a reserve on their page

Yeah, I agree that's more up for debate.  Because there's pros and cons to both, knowing there is a reserve can discourage bidding, but so can not knowing if there is a reserve... all game theory.  The objective of an auction should always be a transparent pricing signal to the market.

Edited by CapnHyaku

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Boosh said:

Cars showing sold for A$53,300 now for some reason. Wonder what happened? Highest bidder pulled out maybe?

Funny you mention this car. I looked it up on Collecting Cars a few hours ago as my mate sent me this listing at a dealer in NSW and I knew it looked familiar: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1319839639

Thats very interesting about the price changing … I can’t remember the bidding history but it must have fallen back through quite a few bids to end there?

25 minutes ago, JWM said:

Funny you mention this car. I looked it up on Collecting Cars a few hours ago as my mate sent me this listing at a dealer in NSW and I knew it looked familiar: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1319839639

Thats very interesting about the price changing … I can’t remember the bidding history but it must have fallen back through quite a few bids to end there?

Nice looking car and it's not black or silver for a change. The interior does look like it needs a bit of a refresh. I wonder if it's on consignment now.

3 minutes ago, Spets87 said:

Nice looking car and it's not black or silver for a change. The interior does look like it needs a bit of a refresh. I wonder if it's on consignment now.

It was in Victoria when it was on CC and now in NSW so I wondered if the dealer bought it? Brave if someone is trying to flip it in this market …

This was on Carsales for a long time at about 45k and even as recent as this morning it was for sale.

Cracking blue colour with tan interior C4.

Did anyone on here look at it? I'm wondering why it was relatively cheap and took ages to sell.

https://easyauto123.com.au/buy/used-cars/details/sold/WP0ZZZ99Z1S600352

23 minutes ago, jakroo said:

I can't see it on there but I did spot an ocean jade one 😍. I really need a lottery win 🤦‍♂️

I got it wrong. The car I was thinking of was posted on this page.

I really should look before I leap sometimes 🙄

And yes, a lotto win would be VERY handy right now