996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, sjm said:

2000 Porsche 911 Turbo 996 Manual AWD MY01 (carsales.com.au) 

This looks to be good value, even considering its a UK import.

Don't know what to make of the kmh speedo though.

The fact that the speedo is black where all the other instruments in the cluster are "silver/ white" makes it look like they swapped it out when they got to Australia.

Love the retro phone handset next to the the air-con controllers. :)

Asking myself some serious questions about whether I could drive a tip when it looks this good in guards red 😍 https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-auto-awd-my03/OAG-AD-22956787/?Cr=0 ... pretty aggressive price given it is a tip though? If it were any other colour they'd be asking $80k no?

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Asking myself some serious questions about whether I could drive a tip when it looks this good in guards red 😍 https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-auto-awd-my03/OAG-AD-22956787/?Cr=0 ... pretty aggressive price given it is a tip though? If it were any other colour they'd be asking $80k no?

I suspect it's the kms more so than the colour driving the price. And there is no 996 more hyped up than the 4s. Great drive but not sure its worth $30k more than the c2 manuals listed (and unsold) at around 69k

Yeah looks great, but that's an optimistic price @JWM

As you probably know, I bagged tiptronic cars until I drove one.   Definitely not for everyone, yet when I was looking at 996's and having a dicky left knee, it had me considering them a lot more than a manual, as clutch operation is gradually getting harder the older I get....and I prefer left foot braking which strangely doesn't affect my knee.

All you can do is try one

The colour will certainly help. Every time I think about being sensible and considering a water cooled turbo car I come away totally unexcited by all the black/grey/silver on offer. Meh as the kids say…

2 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Colour seems key on 996's.  I've got a real hankering for an Ocean Jade Metallic 996 cab with tan interior.

There was one for sale only a few months ago in that combination

4 hours ago, OBRUT said:

The colour will certainly help. Every time I think about being sensible and considering a water cooled turbo car I come away totally unexcited by all the black/grey/silver on offer. Meh as the kids say…

I read, I think in the “Porsche 996 The Essential Companion” book, that when the 996 came out Porsche started doing their own finance, which proved popular, but the car had to be silver, so that’s what they were sending lots of to dealers!

On 03/03/2024 at 20:39, LeeM said:

Yeah looks great, but that's an optimistic price @JWM

As you probably know, I bagged tiptronic cars until I drove one.   Definitely not for everyone, yet when I was looking at 996's and having a dicky left knee, it had me considering them a lot more than a manual, as clutch operation is gradually getting harder the older I get....and I prefer left foot braking which strangely doesn't affect my knee.

All you can do is try one

Paddle shifters retro fitted certainly help the experience, feels a lot more natural than buttons ! and yes it lends to some nice left foot trail braking. It is still an autobox with no downshift rev matching like modern stuff and obviously nothing like a PDK. But it still works and we still have heaps of fun in my wife's 996 Tipper !

5 minutes ago, Julian1 said:

Paddle shifters retro fitted certainly help the experience, feels a lot more natural than buttons !

Yep, totally. Adding paddles makes a remarkable difference in the driving experience of a tip.

On 03/03/2024 at 18:28, JWM said:

Marked as 'sold' on carsales

6 hours ago, Julian1 said:

Paddle shifters retro fitted certainly help the experience, feels a lot more natural than buttons ! and yes it lends to some nice left foot trail braking. It is still an autobox with no downshift rev matching like modern stuff and obviously nothing like a PDK. But it still works and we still have heaps of fun in my wide's 996 Tipper !

That would've been the first modification if I owned a tip...the Mercedes paddle kit. The 996 buttons suck, yet I also just left it in auto mode and still enjoyed the experience 

On 05/03/2024 at 17:27, LeeM said:

That would've been the first modification if I owned a tip...the Mercedes paddle kit. The 996 buttons suck, yet I also just left it in auto mode and still enjoyed the experience 

when i was driving a 996 tip around Sydney at suburban speeds, the gearing was so long that it didn't need to shift that often, so the transmission was irrelevant!

5 hours ago, t888 said:

when i was driving a 996 tip around Sydney at suburban speeds, the gearing was so long that it didn't need to shift that often, so the transmission was irrelevant!

I only drove them in the hills on test drives for others and had a ball. The owners in the passenger seat, not so much 😅

1 hour ago, ADS911 said:

I will be very surprised if this is legit, photoshopped by a 2 year old with all UK plates? Correct me if I’m wrong?

Plus account with 2 friends and no other details.

4 hours ago, ADS911 said:

I will be very surprised if this is legit, photoshopped by a 2 year old with all UK plates? Correct me if I’m wrong?

A couple of pics with its Adelade reg might help.