What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

All I did was test fit those Simmons, and replaced all the shift bushes. Shift is a million times better, but still hard to get all the way into gear. That final click is consistent on every gear except reverse lol. Hopefully it's a 915 thing and some decent oil will help.

Harv,

Bolted to the bumper shock tube if I can recall correctly.

Yes easily installed/removed, took about 10 minutes to do.

Have some dodgy photos on my phone I can send to you or post here when I have access to my home computer.

Thanks Randal,

I'll look out for your photos posted here. Others may want to see how it's done.

Nice work CP. Looks the goods mate. I've got on my list a slightly less quite exhaust myself.

My jobs for today was fitting the Tarret engineering RSR engine mounts in readiness for the RSR engine bar I have on the way from a mate in QLD. I also stripped and high filled the bonnet. The bonnet had the worst paint on the car so its great to have it all off and ready for some paint and then a wrap. The white stuff you can see in the bay is from my sanding I swear your honer!

C1C3C773-20FB-4418-8B7D-3F44160CDB7C-2041-000002BB59B9D011.jpg

EC828882-0630-4C97-8B9A-11F01158FECC-2041-000002BB43C79EFF.jpg

should sound good!

Love the sound Pauly and was hoping for a slight power increase but what I wasn't expecting was how it has completely changed the nature of the power delivery.

The car has always felt very Jeckyl and Hyde when it is on and off boost. Now it has this smooth almost NA feeling transition(lagless). It feels quicker but isn't as hectic at high RPM and it now feels like power has peaked around 5500 rpm so not reving it out and short shifting may be quicker. Can't wait to get some more time behind the wheel to assess it some more.

After getting underneath Davids GT2 on Sunday and seeing no engine undertray that decided it for me. If its good enough for that car not to have one its good enough for mine, so last night got underneath and took it off. Also while I had it up on jack stands took the back wheels off and washed all the brake dust off the inside of the rims. Tonight it will be the fronts for the same treatment....

C

No worries, just looked a bit worriesome from the rear vision mirror. Should go like a PANAM 747 now with all that useless weight gone.

Hey Niko,

PANAM 747's DON'T go anymore ! Yes they are stripped out, then Scrapped.

Cheers,Mark.

Hi Chris,

One thing you want to be careful of in various Porsches in removing the undertray is airflow around the engine which affects COOLING and also downforce !

Cheers,Mark.

Thanks Mark, I don't think I have to much to worry about as far as downforce goes as I don't go quick enough to generate any :D

C

Thanks Mark, I don't think I have to much to worry about as far as downforce goes as I don't go quick enough to generate any :D

C

i would leave it on to protect from Melbourne's glorious roads and speed humps!

do you ever hit on speed humps?

Hi Josh,

That's probably the only reason I would leave it in place. To protect the engine. No haven't had a scrape on any so far and the engine tray doesnt have any battle scars on it so that says something I guess. Anyway I will leave it off for a while and see how things go. Main reason for removing it is to allow some more cooling of the engine.

C

Thanks Bruce, interesting article and also James for the comments. I thought I might get a few comments when I mentioned what I had done so do appreciate them all.

With the tray in place it certainly doesn't allow any air to pass around the engine which you would think isnt a great thing for an aircooled motor. Even talking to Technicians from Porsche I get different comments about leaving it on or taking it off.... I might leave it off for the next SMT and just see how the temp range compares to the last run. I watch the Temp gauge like a hawk...

cheers guys I really do appreciate all the comments and advice that's great and what the forum is all about.

C

Hey Niko,

PANAM 747's DON'T go anymore ! Yes they are stripped out, then Scrapped.

Cheers,Mark.

Yikes, I wonder what planes I've been flying in lately then.desismileys_3461.gif

(just resurrecting one of Mr MOFFAT'S famous saying)

Hi Chris,

Don't have a guard/tray under mine but on the way back from SMB the other week I got caught in traffic on Alexander pde, think it was only mid 20's but half an hour the temp gauge started to go up and spark plug fouled clutch started to shudder,Pain in the butt, took 100k for plug clear. I would leave the guard off.

So what did i do with her that day, put her away and said she could suffer without the doona.

shes been good since.

cheers

Steve

My late late 89 3.2 Carrera was delivered with an engine under tray which has since been removed.

In addition to what has previously been said I have been told that,

1) Aust summer heat conditions mean that any additional cooling is good,

2) the tray will catch oil which you may want to know about earlier.

Besides Porsche say it there to reduce the reflection of noise...

EnginePaneling.jpg