What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

924 has been a bit hard to start, running rough. Having pulled the fuel pressure reg apart previously , that wasn't it. Cold start valve works fine . Found the air sensor plate was sticky , ended up pulling the fuel distributor off and checking the control pistons , gave it a bit of a clean. All seemed OK , even the tiny tiny filters inside the unit. I had to guess at the mixture setting. Still wouldn't start. Refurbed some old wires near the coil, did some electrical checks and hmm , ignition rotor is out of spec. 1.3 ohms not 5. That might be the problem all along...I'll replace before going any further.

And I've just finished installing Kyle's new improved shifter on the 944. May do the short shift kit tomorrow, though I have a show and shine to attend/judge/eat pizza at. And try to get a new rotor.

And I've just finished installing Kyle's new improved shifter on the 944. May do the short shift kit tomorrow, though I have a show and shine to attend/judge/eat pizza at. And try to get a new rotor.

Tazzieman,

Shifting with kyles short shift kit is amazing, I haven't upgraded the shifter yet as I'm not sure it needs it. Best $90 I've spent in a while.

What did my Porsche do today? Changing the title of this thread for my post.

It made a hell of a weird sound for around 2 seconds on cold startup. Was like a metal sound and vanished as quickly as it started. Then she sounded normal again. It was a little unnerving.

I'll see how it is tomorrow. Might put camera on tripod and film it - just in case it happens again.

was it while still cranking Amanda ? Could it be starter motor ?

No I don't think so but might be wrong, it started immediately and kinda sounded exhaustish and high metal scratchy sound - I'm going to start it in the morning and see if it does it again. I'll put my DSLR at the back and will film it just in case.

Once the engine was running it was fine. So maybe it is starter motor or something else that comes on when it starts.

Oh stuff it, I'll go start it now.

EDIT: it's fine now. Oh well!

Tazzieman,

Shifting with kyles short shift kit is amazing, I haven't upgraded the shifter yet as I'm not sure it needs it. Best $90 I've spent in a while.

My shifter was only a bit worn , but what's a few $? The new design with roller bearings will see this car out. I look forward to the shorter shifting , not that the 944 has a long throw compared to the 911 .

After attending the VW association show and shine on a rainy cold afternoon warmed by wood fired pizzas cooked on site

911Beetle2.jpg

I lay under a greasy gearbox in the dark and installed the short shifter on the 944  :rolleyes: It's a nice bit of kit , as M. De Cadenet would say.

No I don't think so but might be wrong, it started immediately and kinda sounded exhaustish and high metal scratchy sound - I'm going to start it in the morning and see if it does it again. I'll put my DSLR at the back and will film it just in case.

Once the engine was running it was fine. So maybe it is starter motor or something else that comes on when it starts.

Oh stuff it, I'll go start it now.

EDIT: it's fine now. Oh well!

This happens a lot with "new mums". You'll get to know your baby's noises soon enough and the nervous panic will subside. ;)

Replaced transaxle oil in my 944, took about 2.7litres, filled it till my finger got wet in the fillerhole.

Any body else find that the transaxle takes more than book stipulates, or should I only put in recommended amount.

Replaced transaxle oil in my 944, took about 2.7litres, filled it till my finger got wet in the fillerhole.

Any body else find that the transaxle takes more than book stipulates, or should I only put in recommended amount.

Every person who has refilled that transaxle over the years has done what you have. The only way to overfill it is to tip it on its side or pressure fill and quickly pop the plug in!

I'd put in the recommended amount through fear of the oil being frothed up by being submerged in the gears and not lubricating as it's meant to

but it's an interesting debate, every show I watch they put in oil until it's coming out of the lower hole (which I assume is low enough to stop you being able to overfill)

edit: beaten!

I put in about the same amount that came out and that was filled last time by a Porsche mech so I guess I'm pretty safe

Mate did the same thing took out the old fluid which was around 2.5-2.7L mark and put in about 2.5-2.7L. That's over 4 months ago.