Post CV19 price outlook

Hi all, I'm keen to get collective view / wisdom on what people think used car and P-Car in particular prices will do over the course pf 2021. I have been looking to get in to a 997.2 or 991.1 Carrera for while, (I was planning to buy early this year) but it seems at the moment they are at least 20-30% up on where they were 12 months ago. This is just a subjective view, I thought this time last year a clean medium km, say 60,000, 997.2 Carrera could be had for 100-110k or so, now they seem seem 120-130+. I recall a Navy 1 owner low km 998.2 Carrera sitting for sale for a while at 110k this time last year 

Couple of current examples 

40km, $148k

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2009-porsche-911-carrera-s-997-series-ii-auto-my09/SSE-AD-7085612/?Cr=

39km $150k

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2009-porsche-911-carrera-s-997-series-ii-auto-my10/SSE-AD-7108505/?Cr=6

Only 'cheap' ones now are with 160 km or UK import or both? 

What's the collective view on whether these will drop back to previous levels or whether this a permanent shift? 

thanks 

I rekon everything is up and staying up. CV19 caused another level of optimism. 

Unless the ground falls out from under us. All

What's your position if it does, and does it matter?

How much fun can you have in the car and when do you want to start? 

59 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Looking into the Crystal Ball: Top Predictions for 2019 by Biopharma Execs  | BioSpace

This bloke's a banker, look at the tie. 🤣

Is it even called printing money?  More of a money firehose.

When it all goes porsche prices will be the least of our problems.  But money hose has been on for many years now, so refer back to crystal ball.  Sitting on the sidelines with no house no Porsche waiting for the correction is a long wait.

11 minutes ago, Mik001 said:

Inflation baby. Everything went up 10-15% last year. Not just cars. 
In the few months we’ve had this year it’s done it again. 
That’s what happens when they print money. 

Yep. As I'm in Bunnings nearly every day, I've noticed their prices have jumped for the second time since late last year. When we are one of their biggest weekly spend clients in SA, the extra costs add up pretty quickly

You’ll never pick the bottom or the top.  Buy what you can afford, enjoy it, drive it and let it rise and fall like the tides. Every Porsche guy has a “wish I’da story” or three.  With the ownership experience usually being quite intense, you really can’t lose...

Don’t confuse Carsales listing prices with actual sold prices and market value. Having said that, it’s obviously very difficult to really know but I can say categorically that the car I just bought was purchased for substantially less than the last listed price on Carsales......and I bought privately not from the dealer who marked it sold.  Dealers obviously have a vested interest to portray the market to be above reality

Dealers need to make a profit as it's a business. Consumers want a bargain. If the 2 can meet in the middle, deals are done. None of it is rocket science and of course sellers, be they private or dealerships want top dollar, negotiation has to start somewhere

I don’t have an issue with dealers making a profit.  Some people are happy paying a premium to buy from a dealer.  My issue is when they artificially inflate/misrepresent the price a car sold for.  The only reason to do this is to mislead the market into paying more for the next car.  

10 hours ago, DJM said:

I don’t have an issue with dealers making a profit.  Some people are happy paying a premium to buy from a dealer.  My issue is when they artificially inflate/misrepresent the price a car sold for.  The only reason to do this is to mislead the market into paying more for the next car.  

Where has anyone said the end sale price? They simply marked it as sold, so not sure how that falsely represents the final price. I think you are over thinking it. It's not like an auction that posts sold for prices. Was for sale, now it's sold, but that's all it is. Its  an assumption that it got asking price or that others would read that as market value. It's merely saying no longer available.

1 hour ago, cyberpunky said:

Where has anyone said the end sale price? They simply marked it as sold, so not sure how that falsely represents the final price. I think you are over thinking it. It's not like an auction that posts sold for prices. Was for sale, now it's sold, but that's all it is. Its  an assumption that it got asking price or that others would read that as market value. It's merely saying no longer available.

There are algorithms on Carsales that produce sale prices. If a car is marked as sold at a high price, it is reflected in these algorithms, and then when you list a car it suggests a price. This is also why you sometimes see a car that’s listed with a dealer suddenly drop in price and then is marked as on hold or sold. This is when they’re truly reporting the sale price.

So basically an honest dealer will amend and correctly report, another with ulterior motives will load up a sale price despite not actually selling it 

2 hours ago, cyberpunky said:

Simply stating fact - Carsales shows that Chellingworth sold it (they didn’t) and last listed price suggests that what it sold for (it didnt).  Why would they do that.....🤔.

By the way, Miami blue bottom left did NOT sell.  It was withdrawn from market but marked as sold at the asking price which again was a lot more than it nearly sold to me for.  More misleading data.

49F40D28-6CF2-4668-A6F7-2066C9197EF8.png

I’m with @DJM it’s a bit dubious, unless you have the inside scoop it’s hard to validate a transaction value... 

A little bit like the real estate agents who come off a period of bumper sales in an area only to start marking subsequent properties as “sold, price withheld” 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

I’m with @DJM it’s a bit dubious, unless you have the inside scoop it’s hard to validate a transaction value... 

A little bit like the real estate agents who come off a period of bumper sales in an area only to start marking subsequent properties as “sold, price withheld” 

Imagine! a car dealer being involved in dubious  activities! Well I never...