997.1 2005 Carrera 3.6 purchase

DM911

Hello everyone. 
I have been a silent member of this wonderful community for a while. 
grateful to this amazing community.  

I am planning to buy a 2005 C2 with relatively low kilometers. 
car had regular service up to 2015 until it went into storage. Obviously no service history during that time.  Had break fluids change early this year. Car is in pristine condition.  It would be my daily and keen to put many many miles on this lovely car. 
my questions are 

1. Any preventative maintenance I should consider before driving. 

2. Should I consider getting IMS done. ?

3. Would not being driven for a while increase IMS failure.  ?

many thanks for your valuable input. 
DM

For any car sitting around so long, I'd change all fluids - particularly brake (which is apparently done), but also coolant and oils - it all degrades over time.  Check tyres properly for cracking or loss of shape if parked on them for the past 6 years - if the dates codes are more than 10 years, I'd be changing them.  Enjoy.

Thank you Fishcop for your advice.  Yes, will certainly get oil and coolant replaced. Looking at history Tyres were replaced 5 years ago.  There is Plenty of thread left . Hopefully it would be ok for the start. 

DM.

19 minutes ago, DM911 said:

Thank you Fishcop for your advice.  Yes, will certainly get oil and coolant replaced. Looking at history Tyres were replaced 5 years ago.  There is Plenty of thread left . Hopefully it would be ok for the start. 

DM.

You can turn yourself in knots overthinking these purchases.  If you like the car and your gut is happy - plus Weltmeister are giving it a thumbs up, AND you're good with price, just grab it and enjoy.  Life's too short otherwise.

9 hours ago, Fishcop said:

You can turn yourself in knots overthinking these purchases.  If you like the car and your gut is happy - plus Weltmeister are giving it a thumbs up, AND you're good with price, just grab it and enjoy.  Life's too short otherwise.

Some of my best purchases, I'd have never gone through with had I tried to apply logic. EG spending $32K on a new Harley in 1999, at the age of only 25yrs. Still have it, and still love it. Having an accounting background, I'm always trying to apply logic to any significant purchase. Sometimes it's best to do thing that make you happy.

Thank you Nikos and Fishcop. 

Totally agree. That’s the plan. 
planning to put hundreds and hundreds of miles and enjoy the experience. 
my first Porsche was GT3.  Loving it so much. But worried about putting many miles on it.  I am sure driving Carrera around the town would be a similar experience. Love the enthusiasm in this community. 

3 hours ago, DM911 said:

my first Porsche was GT3.  Loving it so much. But worried about putting many miles on it.  I am sure driving Carrera around the town would be a similar experience. Love the enthusiasm in this community. 

GT3 was my first too (still have one), I am also thinking of getting into a carrera tipper for daily duties.... be interested to see how it pans out for you! Keep us looped in. 

22 hours ago, Nikos said:

Some of my best purchases, I'd have never gone through with had I tried to apply logic. EG spending $32K on a new Harley in 1999, at the age of only 25yrs. Still have it, and still love it. Having an accounting background, I'm always trying to apply logic to any significant purchase. Sometimes it's best to do thing that make you happy.

Yeah me too loved my Harley , But a bit older than you, Could not lift my leg that high any more ,So it had to go :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input. 

Picked up on Sunday, drive was epic. felt lighter and agile than GT3  on streets. 

Did a major service immediately. Changed all tires. ( old ones were from 2012).  I knew, I was spending extra on service and tires. As it was in storage for more than 4 years. I thought, its best to get it throughly checked. Service from Weltmeister was just excellent.   

Drives superbly. I can put hundreds of miles and many mores smiles. :)

Finally a happy 2 car garage. 

IMG_7184 copy.jpg

IMG_7200 copy.jpg

IMG_7205 copy.jpg

IMG_7208 copy.jpg

Hundreds?  I've had mine for about 18 months and put nearly 10k on it in that time and consider it light duties.  Nice car, drive the wheels off it and enjoy.

I've not checked up that much on 997's but if it has an M97 motor then I gather that's got the larger IMS bearing which can't be changed without a full engine rebuild.  Good news is that type is the most reliable and the type recommended by Hartec for M96 rebuilds.  Just drive it.  👍

5 minutes ago, tomo said:

I hate you , kool cars n shed : )

: ) Thanks Tomo

2 minutes ago, st3ve said:

Hundreds?  I've had mine for about 18 months and put nearly 10k on it in that time and consider it light duties.  Nice car, drive the wheels off it and enjoy.

I've not checked up that much on 997's but if it has an M97 motor then I gather that's got the larger IMS bearing which can't be changed without a full engine rebuild.  Good news is that type is the most reliable and the type recommended by Hartec for M96 rebuilds.  Just drive it.  👍

Thanks st3ve. :)

Apparently this is the one with small replaceable  IMS baring (based on its engine serial number). When I reach the stage of replacing clutch, I might get that sorted at the same time.  

3 minutes ago, edgy said:

Nice one! Congrats 👏🏻 

I jumped on a C2 tipper this week also (pending PPI) 

look forward to the reports. 👍

You can not go wrong  with a C2 Tipy believe  it or not, They are bit tricky to drive well But when you get it they are so muc h Fun an fast Enjoy .

On 17/06/2021 at 08:52, DM911 said:

Loving it so much. But worried about putting many miles on it.

Ok, heres my 2 cents that some may not like 

There is FAR, FAR too much emphasis on owners and/or buyers thinking they can't put too many kms/miles on the cars they own, as it might devalue it, so really, what is the point of owning it? 

Saving it for the next buyer is pointless, as I'm sure the previous owner didn't do that when the current owner(s) bought it, and in my opinion its bloody stupid if you limit how many times you can enjoy the experience of driving a Porsche, just because you might put an extra 100-2000-3000 kms on the clock. If you're a collector or own a few cars, then fair enough, tuck it away in your humidity controlled garage until it's gained a few more dollars in value, yet if its your only toy car that you've worked hard for, for a decent amount of time to be able to buy one, you're here for a good time, not a long time, so f#$/^&g DRIVE IT! 

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

Ok, heres my 2 cents that some may not like 

There is FAR, FAR too much emphasis on owners and/or buyers thinking they can't put too many kms/miles on the cars they own, as it might devalue it, so really, what is the point of owning it? 

Saving it for the next buyer is pointless, as I'm sure the previous owner didn't do that when the current owner(s) bought it, and in my opinion its bloody stupid if you limit how many times you can enjoy the experience of driving a Porsche, just because you might put an extra 100-2000-3000 kms on the clock. If you're a collector or own a few cars, then fair enough, tuck it away in your humidity controlled garage until it's gained a few more dollars in value, yet if its your only toy car that you've worked hard for, for a decent amount of time to be able to buy one, you're here for a good time, not a long time, so f#$/^&g DRIVE IT! 

It’s like not sleeping with your girlfriend to save her for the guy 🤪

• 3 months later...

Hi Edgy. 

Yes, Loving it.  I would say, best non-GT car I have ever owned. 

Did more than 6000Ks since June as its my daily. !

Yes it doesn't have apple car play, touch screen, blue tooth, not even audio jack.   Driving this thing, I dont care about those creature comforts. Pure driving pleasure. Clutch  is heavy.  My knee hurts a bit.  Down the line, I may switch to auto , but always stick to 997 (1. or .2). lol.

Cheers.

DM

4 hours ago, DM911 said:

Hi Edgy. 

Yes, Loving it.  I would say, best non-GT car I have ever owned. 

Did more than 6000Ks since June as its my daily. !

Yes it doesn't have apple car play, touch screen, blue tooth, not even audio jack.   Driving this thing, I dont care about those creature comforts. Pure driving pleasure. Clutch  is heavy.  My knee hurts a bit.  Down the line, I may switch to auto , but always stick to 997 (1. or .2). lol.

Cheers.

DM

Good to know! And funny you mention the knee, :lol:  I just did business today on a 7.1 tipper today for daily duties... hopefully it passes due diligence! 🤞