Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Am I game?

Never even driven an aircooled.... While there is lots of emotion and nostalgia around them, I just don't know if it is really a step backwards. While the diehards have their objections to modern Porsches, surely each series was a step forward from the last...

Hugh, I think I need a test drive of your 964 to put my head straight!

Trev, You really need one of each to objectively compare........! So do a Hugh, keep the existing car and add a 964.

But seriously, From what I've seen on SMT, you enjoy the performance of your 996. Gut feel says the 964 won't feel quite as quick albeit more raw, involving and "classic". Depends what you are looking for. I initially set out to buy a 997C2S and bought the 964C2 because it looked great and I was wooed by the air cooled thing. Lovely car but for me I wanted a bit more performance. I fleetingly considered mods but quickly decided that would wreck/devalue it so I moved on.

it is backwards step, but a fun one. same way my original mini is quantifiably a backwards step from the new ones in every way, but still more fun to me :)

is there such a thing as cheap coilovers for porsches??

They seem similarly priced to coils for other euro cars. I've only seen XYZ on Japanese cars, though.

BTW... I've promised the missus that the next classic car in our garage will be a classic mini...

Well it probably wouldn't be a 50k car either if it was Aus del though.

I think it is nuts that which dealer stamped the delivery papers is such an important thing. It makes the car no faster, better to drive or more impervious to faults. Sure, LHD won't command the same ina RHD country and rusty, undocumented cars should be cheap no matter where they are from. But a clean, documented well looked after car in RHD should be equally desirable no matter which Porsche dealer handed over the keys. They were all made in the same factory.

The reason Aus del is so important is because everyone agrees that it seems to be important. I've never seen any other car model/make where it gets mentioned as much and has such an impact on prices. It really is quite strange.

I think it is nuts that which dealer stamped the delivery papers is such an important thing. It makes the car no faster, better to drive or more impervious to faults. Sure, LHD won't command the same ina RHD country and rusty, undocumented cars should be cheap no matter where they are from. But a clean, documented well looked after car in RHD should be equally desirable no matter which Porsche dealer handed over the keys. They were all made in the same factory.

The reason Aus del is so important is because everyone agrees that it seems to be important. I've never seen any other car model/make where it gets mentioned as much and has such an impact on prices. It really is quite strange.

Sure, but at the end of the day a lot of people do care and are prepared to pay a premium. That's all I'm saying. 

Trev, You really need one of each to objectively compare........! So do a Hugh, keep the existing car and add a 964.

But seriously, From what I've seen on SMT, you enjoy the performance of your 996. Gut feel says the 964 won't feel quite as quick albeit more raw, involving and "classic". Depends what you are looking for. I initially set out to buy a 997C2S and bought the 964C2 because it looked great and I was wooed by the air cooled thing. Lovely car but for me I wanted a bit more performance. I fleetingly considered mods but quickly decided that would wreck/devalue it so I moved on.

Thanks Doug, I think you're right here.  Given I'm looking to sell my VE Boganwagon and make the 996 a daily, the modern comfort makes sense.  And as it is the 996 even leaves me wanting for more...as in "Gee it's great but I wish it were a GT3/Turbo, and now (thanks to you), Gt2!"  But it is a great all-rounder.  I think something like this 964 and what I'd want to do with it would be more suited to a 2nd Porsche...  And of course, the mrs has already said today, "Will 2 911's fit in the garage....Well just get your business pumpin more and have 2 of them"  

Keeper.

Lovely car but for me I wanted a bit more performance. I fleetingly considered mods but quickly decided that would wreck/devalue it so I moved on.

I like your modesty, "a bit more" - I'd say the GT2 has at least a bit more, and then some more, and some more..................... :lol:

Sure, but at the end of the day a lot of people do care and are prepared to pay a premium. That's all I'm saying.

Yep, not arguing at all, just observing. It's just a tad bizarre, but a very real thing. I guess the car world is full irrational desirables, like a 'flat floor' e-type vs one made the day after they changed the design. It's just odd to me that everyone has agreed to place a value on something that is part of a cars history, rather than the car itself (like the flat floor jags). It's like every aus del car has had a celebrity owner - a dealer with an ABN.

I know I've posted this before...... but I just can't get enough of it!! It's moved to Ebay now.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-959-Replica-/231318602532?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item35dba9c324&_uhb=1

Maybe I'm way out of line, but surely $49,000 is totally unreasonable. The only thing that seems to be salvageable is the motor.... & even that has been distastefully modified. The Rothmans 959's were really cool cars... but this doesn't even really resemble one.

I know I've posted this before...... but I just can't get enough of it!! It's moved to Ebay now.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-959-Replica-/231318602532?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item35dba9c324&_uhb=1

Maybe I'm way out of line, but surely $49,000 is totally unreasonable. The only thing that seems to be salvageable is the motor.... & even that has been distastefully modified. The Rothmans 959's were really cool cars... but this doesn't even really resemble one.

Huge "investment " in recent years. And if it doesn't sell at the listed price , that will be a big hit for what should be an appreciating model. But so heavily modified it will always have a certain perfume. 

964 C2 tip (for sale)

Mike D'Silva!!!

This is for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_gratification

I actually wonder if what you're looking for is actually a manual Cayman or 997, or even a 996GT3 - you know the air-con and oil leaks aren't going to improve any with a stick shift 964, and the performance difference between a tipper is negligible. The driving feel in the manual, however, is sublime.

Mike D'Silva!!!

This is for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_gratification

I actually wonder if what you're looking for is actually a manual Cayman or 997, or even a 996GT3 - you know the air-con and oil leaks aren't going to improve any with a stick shift 964, and the performance difference between a tipper is negligible. The driving feel in the manual, however, is sublime.

I've always had the motto that everything is for sale.. eventually... but I think you are right about the 3 options listed above. If my Cayman were a manual, it would be awesome. Yes I've pondered over a 997 and just on the weekend I came to the realisation that a GT3 is for me! I'm just not wealthy enough to be able to afford one comfortably at the moment.

No riskier than an '86 911 , if it has been maintained. The engine can last a lot longer (lazy unstressed V8 + auto, hard to redline , low km if can be documented (odos often stop like on 911s)). Vital you price in water pump + TB job (every 5-6 years). and the engine is the 32 valve job , so you do not want a broken TB. But fortune favours the brave and the cars are extremely well made. For what it is , if it checks out with a knowledgeable PPI,  that looks pretty cheap.

But beware the cost of interior repairs - need some shots there. Also if previous damage it might be impossible to align.

But this is no different to any coupe from the same era or later!

I'd hit on that car , in that colour and try to keep the plates  :)