Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

When I decided I wanted to get into porsche ownership a couple years ago, I kept coming up with that acronym, PPI, PPI, PPI!

Everywhere!

I thought it stood for Porsche something something....

There's nothing wrong with getting a ppi done but I guess they are not for everyone. And when hysteria sets in, there is no time.

If you don't take the punt, someone else will and you miss out... need to have a strong stomach.

My bet is that a lot of the buyers for these fast sales probably know what they are looking at already, and can perhaps fix (or bodge) any minor issues.

I think most major issues are pretty easy to spot... engine dragging on the ground etc... the worst that can happen, is you relist it for sale while the hysteria is still carrying on!

Wise words Mike, my thoughts exactly! 

Wise words.  But is a 964 a classic or merely a used vehicle?  What about a 996 or first gen Boxster?

I get the discussions on forums though.  If you aren't surrounded by similarly enthusiastic people, buying a Porsche can be a somewhat lonely experience. Lots to discuss and if the spouse rolls the eyes and the kids have their noses in an iPad and everyone at work drives a Camry....that's what this place is for after all.

No wrong or right answer mate, because that really comes down to the eye of the beholder and/or the intended purpose. 

I guess my comment was with regards to the expectation placed on these old cars to be perfect, it seems a lot of people put an unreasonably high expectation on them and want a perfect car... 

If you are driving it... why would you want a near concourse car anyway?  :ph34r: Me? I'm happy swinging some spanners, as long as the core components are sound. 

Running costs are always there in some way shape or form whether you like it or not, new or old.. I would have tipped $6k into this car just on service and consumables, just this year.  (trifecta= Major Service, Tyres and Brakes)

It's only money, we can go back to work on Monday and make more!  :rolleyes:

I've posted before on the topic of PPIs.  There are many issues that could cost a lot of bucks that you need to know about.  Broken head studs,  lurking rust,  leaking RMS - all things like this.  Nobody wants to buy a car and then find out another 15k is due because the engine needs a rebuild.  So head stud checks and leak down tests are good insurance.

It's certainly wise to concentrate on known weak points of your car, but not very wise to spend money for someone to check if the radio works.  I think you may be able to still buy on PPI condition, but in a hot market this is not going to be easy.  Still, cash talks and if you turn up with real cash but on condition of PPI you may still beat off the phone callers from other states who are offering sums over the phone.

I've posted before on the topic of PPIs.  There are many issues that could cost a lot of bucks that you need to know about.  Broken head studs,  lurking rust,  leaking RMS - all things like this.  Nobody wants to buy a car and then find out another 15k is due because the engine needs a rebuild.  So head stud checks and leak down tests are good insurance.

It's certainly wise to concentrate on known weak points of your car, but not very wise to spend money for someone to check if the radio works.  I think you may be able to still buy on PPI condition, but in a hot market this is not going to be easy.  Still, cash talks and if you turn up with real cash but on condition of PPI you may still beat off the phone callers from other states who are offering sums over the phone.

Coastr, I think the problem here is that people are offering cash today and are agreeing to buy not only sight unseen, but agreeing to no PPI ......

I know that if I was selling my car and someone offered to pay cash on provision of PPI, and the next phone call says "I will turn up with cash today and drive it away as long as the body isn't smashed and it starts" ...... I know who I'm selling to ......

And believe me, it is happening like that ......

Good cars generally have good owners. 

To be honest most of the good cars don't even hit the market - they are known cars or come via recommendation that usually provides enough confidence for a deal to be done.

PPI's have their place but they are probably more valuable for 'unknown' cars or owners to gain a history on the condition both past and present.

Its a small world and the Porsche community is even smaller so if you know the right people and know the right things to look for its not necessarily suicide to buy a Porsche without a PPI. You have to be realistic though and I agree that sometimes people seem to think that paying 30k for a 30 year old car is a lot of money and therefore the car should be 'sorted'. Unfortunately its still a 30 year old car and 30k is peanuts money for old 911's now so expect to buy a lemon - PPI or not. 

Agree with you on this Hugh. My car is a case in point. It was really only discussed/advertised on this forum and no where else. I did do a PPI but that was more to know what to plan for in the years to come. I was comfortable knowing I was buying from a forum member who was upfront and honest about the car.

You can also get a good gut feel by the way the ad is written...if it's speaking Porsche enthusiast lingo...it's not a bad sign...if it's just a generic ad I.e power steering, electric windows and 12 months reg..:not the best sign..on an oldie anyway

Like that orange Targa that someone on the forum just bought ( erm his handle is there, I can almost see it but can't remember it right now)  that clearly never hit the market that I saw! 

I'd never gotten a PPI on any car until I hit this forum - and really, I never had issues but also, wasn't looking at cars with $20,000 engines in them. And lets face it, if you look at my old posts - it was drummed into me to make sure I had one done. 

As above tho, it does come down to the seller, if you are fortunate enough to be looking at a car with the last 10 years of receipts and can see its had clutch, engine rebuild etc etc done to it - and you get a roadworthy with the sale, then you are probably ok!

When the time comes, I'd happily have a mechanically sound 911 Targa with rough paint - drive it and not worry about it too much. Dirt roads, everywhere.. just be fun and use it!

EDIT:   You know, I drive around in my MINI now with the roof open, windows down trying to see how I'd cope with no A/C in preparation for Targa ownership. Is that a bit nuts or what???

When the time comes, I'd happily have a mechanically sound 911 Targa with rough paint - drive it and not worry about it too much. Dirt roads, everywhere.. just be fun and use it!

i'm the exact opposite. give me a straight body and rough engine any day. body work is roughly as expensive, slow, and tedious. well and truly done with it personally.

putting an engine together is fun, and you can spice it up while you're in there.

paint job makes the car meticulous but no better to drive.

Ok, I have checked this notorious red slant nose 911.

What can I say, basically there are lots of bits and pieces that should be fixed. Inside plastic trim and electric, outside paint chips, plastic trim a bit tired... Nothing major at this point, but it makes the car a bit unwanted. Or, if you prefer a bit of struggle - you will be happy.

Next, suspension sounds pretty ok, no hard noises or click-clack. Steering wheel a bit hard (tie-rod ends?), while stopped but as long as you driving it - the car feels a bit loose, it is "floating" across the road and seems like you driving on an icy road. Probably some fixie-fixie should be done.

The motor and gearbox sound good, the gear stick feels loose. 

And last, but not the least - oil splatters on the bottom of the engine and around it, not dropping but you can definitely see the marks of it. 

That is what I can say about her (not much an expert though).

I hope it will help someone. 

heavy steering at low speeds sounds like a regular 911 feature (so do the oil leaks)

As someone who's bought a car sight unseen from eBay, there are some things that PPI's are good for, but then again there are things they might never pickup on. All the PPI's aren't going to stop your engine killing itself if it hasn't been looked after

to my learned colleagues 

Looking at a 996 advert and it says

"Brand New Clutch fitted 2013 Rear Main seal Replaced 2013 for peace of mind"

This is VERY separate from a IMS fix correct?  as this is just the seal and not the bearing?

The more i type the more i think i am answering my own question but.....

to my learned colleagues 

Looking at a 996 advert and it says

"Brand New Clutch fitted 2013 Rear Main seal Replaced 2013 for peace of mind"

This is VERY separate from a IMS fix correct?  as this is just the seal and not the bearing?

The more i type the more i think i am answering my own question but.....

Yes, and yes you are.

the car feels a bit loose, it is "floating" across the road and seems like you driving on an icy road. 

The motor and gearbox sound good, the gear stick feels loose. 

1) Poorly aligned , tie rod ends or tyres too fat

2) Normal for an AC 911 (wooden spoon in spaghetti). There are cheap fixes.

Anyway,  nothing money can't fix. Same as an Aston in that regard.