Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

why so purple...

A good friend of mine missed out on this. If the person who now owns it had fallen through, he would've been next in line. It had chassis rust... Still a decent deal in the super inflated market and tbh, the seller was up front and A LOT more honest than most trying to sell their car.

Edited by Written

12 months ago a price jump like that would have been outrageous, now it has become the norm, I still can't quite believe it to be honest....

Typical when people are probably saying its too cheap. Slate Grey 912 ring any bells? Must be related

Is there really any point anymore to posting these aircooled cars when they are all sold in 60 seconds?  It's not like it's helping anyone actually buy a car!

So just to break things up a bit here's a ....:ph34r:....watercooled car!  It's a widebody S car, it's a manual coupe, it's good value in my opinion, and is probably still for sale by the time i've finished typing this post! ;)  Heck, you might even be able to negotiate the price....wait for it....downwards!:blink:  Fancy that!  

With 996 GT2&3 all being snapped up, Turbos climbing, surely C2 and 4S eventually will too.  The IMS preventative for a few grand is still way cheaper than the multitude of things you can pour cash into on an older car...eg. Broken head $tuds, Ru$t, Oil leak$....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-3568233/?Cr=60

cp5279834843157039095.jpg?height=700&asp

I wonder why the red 964 has not sold. Has anyone had a look?

I was thinking same. I don't think anyone has. There are a few small indications which may point to other issues. The front hood is crooked in the images so maybe something up there. It has bilsteins, but is sitting at original ride height? And I might be getting picky here but wonky numberplate...:ph34r: it's the small signs that point to bigger issues and hint at treatment. 

Still, I'll bet it's gone in a couple of weeks...

I was thinking same. I don't think anyone has. There are a few small indications which may point to other issues. The front hood is crooked in the images so maybe something up there. It has bilsteins, but is sitting at original ride height? And I might be getting picky here but wonky numberplate...:ph34r: it's the small signs that point to bigger issues and hint at treatment. 

not asking enough

Is there really any point anymore to posting these aircooled cars when they are all sold in 60 seconds?  It's not like it's helping anyone actually buy a car!

So just to break things up a bit here's a ....:ph34r:....watercooled car!  It's a widebody S car, it's a manual coupe, it's good value in my opinion, and is probably still for sale by the time i've finished typing this post! ;)  Heck, you might even be able to negotiate the price....wait for it....downwards!:blink:  Fancy that!  

With 996 GT2&3 all being snapped up, Turbos climbing, surely C2 and 4S eventually will too.  The IMS preventative for a few grand is still way cheaper than the multitude of things you can pour cash into on an older car...eg. Broken head $tuds, Ru$t, Oil leak$....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-3568233/?Cr=60

eventually, but recon 996's still have a way to go (down) - as have 997's

you make a solid case ^^ 

I would daily the shit outta that for $50k great looking car the 4S! Love the J Lo booty too :D  

I would not be surprised if it has a makeover soon, cup wheels and ride height adjustment maybe.:wub:

not asking enough

why would u think they will go down??

a good low k 996 is around 50k

absolute bargain seeing they cost over 220k when new.

they are way faster than most cars on the road, very reliable and feel great to drive

i think 50k for a good one is already a bargain. 

997 even better car again!!

for all who think IMS is a problem, think again. 

Have a talk to autohause , guy there said he could count less than one hand fingers for amount of failures he has seen in 15 years ...

they are great cars , just not air cooled cars.

Yeah true....but where's the bottom...will we know it before we're there, when we're there...or only see it in hindsight once things have gone up?

996 GT2&3 have definitely bounced off the bottom of the price curve.  18-24 months ago it was obvious a 964 C2 Manual Coupe was worth $60-80K, but a C4 - pffftt, lucky to be half that!  Now they are selling same day they're listed for nearly $100K.  Not bad for the unwanted poor cousin!  I'm sure some time in the future we'll be kicking ourselves going "I remember when you could pick up a mint 996 C4S for only $50k"  Could be 5-10 years away though...

Yeah true....but where's the bottom...will we know it before we're there, when we're there...or only see it in hindsight once things have gone up?

996 GT2&3 have definitely bounced off the bottom of the price curve.  18-24 months ago it was obvious a 964 C2 Manual Coupe was worth $60-80K, but a C4 - pffftt, lucky to be half that!  Now they are selling same day they're listed for nearly $100K.  Not bad for the unwanted poor cousin!  I'm sure some time in the future we'll be kicking ourselves going "I remember when you could pick up a mint 996 C4S for only $50k"  Could be 5-10 years away though...

personally I think 997s are going to keep pushing the price down of 996s and c2 996s spending some time in the $20 -$30k range (almost there). As soon as this happens it is going to open up the market to a lot of dubious owners who won't know how to look after the car and a gumtree $5k non starter will be the next level. Turbos and gt3s etc will always have more appeal and they have got better looking with age but the 997 is going to keep a ceiling on any price rise as it also depreciates and really is a better car. In theory they will also have been better looked after (mmm....gt3s? Maybe not). A c4s - probably at least another $10k drop still to go, but that really isn't that much in Porsche ownership terms so if you see a good one you are right, grab it. The 964 rise is an interesting one. They are a lot faster/ more modern than the 3.2 but retain a nostalgic look that for me the 993 doesn't match. And there is bugger all around. For me the Singer boys picked that car for a reason and who are we to argue with that. Oh and they specifically say 90-94, so stay well away from the early 89 model. Must be shit ;)

why would u think they will go down??

a good low k 996 is around 50k

absolute bargain seeing they cost over 220k when new.

they are way faster than most cars on the road, very reliable and feel great to drive

i think 50k for a good one is already a bargain. 

997 even better car again!!

for all who think IMS is a problem, think again. 

Have a talk to autohause , guy there said he could count less than one hand fingers for amount of failures he has seen in 15 years ...

they are great cars , just not air cooled cars.

for reasons mentioned above, but also just look at the global market. Australia is in its own bubble in terms of 'rust free' but when it comes to values we are just following global trends and 996s are a lot cheaper overseas. Really good, limited production, special models just might have bottomed out and the crazy rare ones appreciating. But as c2s continue to drop I have a feeling their new 'dubious' owners and the fact that there are so many of them, will further bring prices down. 

Edited by turboT

The 996 C4S is my Favorite buy, if I had the spare Dough Turbo body and brakes luxuary leather interior Whats not to like?

And the reason the 89 964 had the bad name 1 It was the first 4/WD ,Was famous for it leaky heads no head Caskets till late 91 unless repaired on warraenty,which most have been done by now , And in the case of the C2, it did not get 4 spotter rearbrakes till 92 model year ,Also the steering lock stop for 17 wheels was not changed to the 92 model year/ And 93/94 model years very few about and most are Tipys,And I do not understand Why the Poms would winge about oil leaks, Didnt they make an oil Recycler called a Tryumph,Jagaur,B S A.

All Great Collectables,But it was an oily Bussiness.;)     

Edited by tomo

an early one for $29,900

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-3447753&Cr=7

another for $30,990

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=OAG-AD-3902960&Cr=14

$30,000

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-3457864&Cr=29

Anything over $50k are gen 2, so younger cars. They will follow these prices for sure

enough chit chat about 996s

964 2 auto

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=OAG-AD-5711663&Cr=0

Edited by turboT

Interesting that they are all high mileage cars. They dont look like their engines and gearboxes exploded at 80k. Whilst the adds give no further clues, it would seem that it is possible to get life out of a 996 with regular use. Regular care and maintainance is still the way to go!

Not finished yet Mr T!

I reckon 996's are going to be a bit like 964's

It was only a few years ago that 964's were regarded as a bit of a disappointment from when they were first released - the world had moved on but Porsche had been asleep  - and it took nearly 20 years for them to be truly appreciated.

I think the same will happen with 996's where the simple styling and smaller size will be appreciated as a natural next step to the 993's and a desirable "niche" in 911  history appreciated over the later larger, heavier and busier styled 997's and 991's.

Will the 996 niche be attractive enough to withstand the continuing depreciation of the 997's and 991's?  I'm not sure because I think rear engine water cooled buyers generally want the latest and greatest.  But looking at the air cools shows this might be possible where desirability isn't necessarily related to the latest or highest performance.

Also just as the various mechanical foibles of 964's are being forgiven, I suspect the same will happen with the 996's with the passage of time.

Don't know why I have edgy quoted.  Think I was going to make a joke about J Lo's arse being likely hail damaged, unlike the timeless beauty of a 996's but though better of it....  

Edited by Peter M
some of it didn't make sense!

Not finished yet Mr T!

I reckon 996's are going to be a bit like 964's

It was only a few years ago that 964's were regarded as a bit of a disappointment from when they were first released - the world had moved on but what had Porsche have Porsche been doing - and it took nearly 20 years for them to be truly appreciated.

I think the same will happen with 996's where the simple styling and smaller size will be appreciated as a natural next step to the 993's and a desirable "niche" in 911  history appreciated over the later larger, heavier and busier styled 997's and 991's.

Will the 996 niche be attractive enough to withstand the continuing depreciation of the 997's and 991's?  I'm not sure because I think rear engine water cooled buyers generally want the latest and greatest.  But looking at the air cools shows this might be possible where desirability isn't necessarily related to the latest or highest performance.

Also just as the various mechanical foibles of 964's are being forgiven, I suspect the same will happen with the 996's with the passage of time.

Don't know why I have edgy quoted.  Think I was going to make a joke about J Lo's arse being likely hale damaged, unlike the timeless beauty of a 996's but though better of it....  

You are probably right Peter - eventually. Give it another 10 years

quoting Edgy seems relevant - he does own an appreciating 996 gt3 after all ;)

Mr T,

I think it's going to be much sooner and we are on the cusp now.

Just have to wait and see and again I reckon I'll be kicking myself just like before when I paid off my mortgage in preference to buying a shed full of 930's when they were cheap and unloved.........

Bloody edgy, can't get rid of him!

Mr T,

I think it's going to be much sooner and we are on the cusp now.

Just have to wait and see and again I reckon I'll be kicking myself just like before when I paid off my mortgage in preference to buying a shed full of 930's when they were cheap and unloved.........

Bloody edgy, can't get rid of him!

so you are predicting the $200k 1998 911, low kms, well maintained, full service history ad appearing in carsales in the near future...?

I hope you have the garage space Peter. You might be waiting a while :)