Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I cant see any shortage of cars in europe and the prices diffrences in many cases are not that significant , when you localise them in terms of taxes etc and consider the costs for example to ship between countries  and then factor exchange rates there are some demands and false trends I feel in Aus..  

The obvious diffrences is that we have in relative terms a good supply of some collectables per capita

Quite a few 993TT , A bunch of GT3's and various other air cooled as an example ..

Check out the pistonheads classifieds for one example 

Remember we live on an island ;)

It's not all madness....ebay auction on 3.2 converted LHD californian SC convertible with cup wheels and 964 bumpers :

$_57.JPG

Current bid $22,100, looks like reserve will be around $27k.

Cheapest running registered 911 in Aus?

Seller has bought a 996!

LInk http://www.ebay.com/itm/151808320716

Bidding dried up at $24,900

Worth that much in parts?

SimonK or Simonr (I forget which) should be pleased seeing as his blue m491 was half as much money a few years back, and looks nicer!  Talk about buying in the nick of time.

I just can't get my head around the fact someone would consider paying that sort of money for my car. It's sad that greed and egos have infiltrated a market that was once just for enthusiasts. I'm definately lucky I got in when I did. 

I just can't get my head around the fact someone would consider paying that sort of money for my car. It's sad that greed and egos have infiltrated a market that was once just for enthusiasts. I'm definately lucky I got in when I did. 

Yes you are lucky!  But spare a thought for the original owner.  Even allowing for a paltry 2.8% annual inflation rate, a M491 coupe if purchased new in 1989 for $200,000 comes in at a tad over $400,000 in today's money.  Of course the effective inflation rate is in fact much higher.  So it was these original cashed up enthusiasts in the first place that wore the cars massive initial inflation that allows you to enjoy your 911 today.

The recent price rise in classic car values really annoys some people.  However there are far greater forces at work than a few internet warriors thrashing away complaining about pricing.  I think we all just have to consider it's the new world order.  That's the law of the jungle.  A car cannot be a rational financial purchase in any way, so I find it best not to apply any standard investment logic to a vehicle purchase.  If you can move a car on and get your money back then you are one of the lucky few. 

There are still some seriously great value for money Porsche's out there however.  Look at a what you can buy a decent 996 manual coupe for, or a 996 Turbo?  It's frightening that these cars can be so cheap, especially in relation to models either side of them.

Although not Porsche related (But an excellent example of how the market can shift) have a look at the history of Ferrari 250 GTO #3589.  In 1964, after being thrashed around racetracks by Mike Parkes, Innes Ireland and Richie Ginther it was donated to a Texas School for the students to play with.  It then sat outside for the next 16 years!  What changed in that period of time for the car to be worth restoring?  What was the psychology involved in the cars appreciation by a new breed of owner?

I think part of it is that people tend to lust after material items they couldn't afford as an teen.  As people enter their 40s and 50s with more cash and perhaps no mortgage; cheap money and a desire to re-capture their youth before the onset of type 2 diabetes and heard disease, they think they'll buy something that reminds them of these times.

The other issue, those of us old enough to recall the heady 1980s (Like myself) even allowing for these mass produced cars, the production numbers are still not very high. With more buyers around than decent cars, it's easy to see why the prices are heading North. 

250GTO_3589.jpg

Well the Yellow 911S was just picked up and taken out of my hands as the funds cleared last night.

just to let everyone know, it went for $110,000...

All I need now is the patience!

received a deposit on the 3.2 so that should go early next week.

Wow, actual market feedback.  Much obliged, f40-r.  We're all waiting to see what you do with the cash.

Well the Yellow 911S was just picked up and taken out of my hands as the funds cleared last night.

just to let everyone know, it went for $110,000...

All I need now is the patience!

received a deposit on the 3.2 so that should go early next week.

wow!! Well done, time to revisit the insurance.....again!!