Having been on the hunt for a 964 (or two) the past few years, I thought a dedicated thread on the 964 market was worth starting. 

Whilst it’s difficult to stay up to date on actual values it has been easier to track the relative values, model v model. To be clear, this has nothing to do with personal preference. These are the relative values based on sales. So, having assumed like for like history, mileage, originality, colour combo, options, year model, overall condition etc I’ve ordered the relative model values of all the 964 variants that were available in Australia. There might be one or two out of place and happy to amend if anyone wants to contribute info. Firstly for reference here are the list prices when new:

1  $295k  Turbo 3.6

2  $279k  Turbo 3.3

3  $245k  C2 Tiptronic Conv. WB

4  $237k  C2 Manual Conv. WB

5  $225k  C4 Jubi

6  $216k  C4 Manual Convertible

7  $205k  C2 Tiptronic Convertible

8  $202k  C4 Manual Targa

9  $196k  C2 Manual Convertible

=10  $195k  C4 Manual Coupe

=10  $195k  Speedster

12  $192k  C2 Tiptronic Targa

13  $191k  RS

14  $184k  C2 Tiptronic Coupe

15  $183k  C2 Manual Targa

16  $175k  C2 Manual Coupe

UPDATE for reference

$230k 928 GTS Manual or Auto

$220k 928 S4/GT

$157k 968 Cab Auto

$150k 968 Cab Manual

$142k 968 Coupe Auto

$135k 968 Coupe Manual

And now here is where I think we are today. Note the top 4 are well out on their own. The Jubi is a bit of an unknown here as not many around. Then there is a bit of daylight to the C2 Manual Coupe, which itself sits out on its own, before the rest of the model range follows.

1 Turbo 3.6

2 Turbo 3.3

3 RS

4 Speedster

5 C4 Jubi

6 C2 Manual Coupe

7 C2 Manual Conv. WB

C4 Manual Coupe

C2 Tiptronic Coupe

10 C2 Tiptronic Conv. WB

11 C2 Manual Targa

12 C2 Manual Convertible

13 C2 Tiptronic Targa

14 C2 Tiptronic Convertible

15 C4 Manual Targa

16 C4 Manual Convertible

I’d say the only cars demanding equivalent or more than their new car price would be the top 4. The 964 is nearly 30 years old now. I don’t have any data on where all these cars were 15 years ago but my guess is that was the time to buy an RS, Turbo, Speedster or Jubi.

not sure how true this is, but i'm told that when the 964rs came out it wasn't particularly well received as it was considered a bit too hardcore. Makes me laugh to think the the 964 cabs were more expensive than the rs:)

Edited by Blue964

Hmm what can someone tell me about the C2 Cab that's at CTS? Worth me buying ?

I looked at that car yesterday and it is very nice indeed. I really love the colour. I'm actually very surprised CTS aren't asking more given their history of asking premium prices so I am wondering what the catch is although the guys in CTS tell me there is no catch--it's a great colour, manual, C2 and low k's. The one thing I didn't ask was whether it is Aust delivered.

I looked at that car yesterday and it is very nice indeed. I really love the colour. I'm actually very surprised CTS aren't asking more given their history of asking premium prices so I am wondering what the catch is although the guys in CTS tell me there is no catch--it's a great colour, manual, C2 and low k's. The one thing I didn't ask was whether it is Aust delivered.

Beleive it is mate! 

Residing in since new, this well presented 911 964 Carrera 2 cabriolet was delivered new by York Motors Porsche, Rushcutters in February of 1994.

I have a very generalised observation, but quite often collectable classics eclipse their original sale price when new at some point.... that is a scary thought. :ph34r:

CCF07072015_00000_zpsdx8edvdo.jpg

CCF07072015_00001_zpspdez3bcb.jpg

+ 20k than an RS?

These were taken out of the delivery books I have for my 964. I have the carrera 4's listed at sub 180k so the 928's were 30k+ on top, not quite peanuts but you get the idea.................still a lot of money when comparing current values. 

Ahh, so it's obviously like, ahhm, that Why-Gen thing where tenses and plurals don't exist?

Not sure what you mean by that? 

I've just taken the time to go and dig out the service book information, scan them and post specifically for your reference. I thought you may appreciate this, obviously not. 

Hopefully others will.................

These were taken out of the delivery books I have for my 964. I have the carrera 4's listed at sub 180k so the 928's were 30k+ on top, not quite peanuts but you get the idea.................still a lot of money when comparing current values. 

Great info Hugh. Do you have these for the 964 also? I've updated the original post to include the price of the rest of the range from my source. My numbers are slightly different to yours but the relative values are what is of interest.

If there's one lesson to take away it's don't buy a cab new. Unless you're looking for max. depreciation (which I know some are...):wacko:

Great info Hugh. Do you have these for the 964 also? I've updated the original post to include the price of the rest of the range from my source. My numbers are slightly different to yours but the relative values are what is of interest.

If there's one lesson to take away it's don't buy a cab new. Unless you're looking for max. depreciation (which I know some are...):wacko:

carsales would go out of business without cabs ;)

A very interesting thread indeed.

I know I have a 'massively depreciated' C4 Cab but I have been thinking about selling (and upgrading of course) recently..so would be interesting to see what she would be worth in the current market. But on the other hand, might be worth keeping if prices are continuing to rise.

Huge, just playing, but I still don't understand your point?  I know I'm a bit thick.

In my best Pauline Hanson, please explain.

So in today's money (inflation as per 2014 data) you would be up for an additional 32k to buy a 928S4 (@ 384k) over a 964 RS. 

When you look at this against the current day relative values a 928 is worth approx. 14% of its original purchase price whilst a 964RS has appreciated by almost double their initial purchase price.  

All I was highlighting is that they were an expensive model in comparison to the N/A 911's of the era and I don't believe many people understand this when they look at the relative values of them today. As most of us know they were a very advanced car and well ahead of their time - it just came at a relatively large cost at the time, a relative bargain now in comparison. 

Yes, I do have the numbers for the 964 & the 944's - I'll scan them and add them for anyone interested. 

Do the above prices come with Keatings little gift to the nation of the LCT, or are they from prior LCT days?

LCT wasn't around in the early nineties but Wholesale Sales Tax was and I understand it was a similar tax, but I'm no accountant...

Yep, LCT was introduced in 2000 as part of the changes to the tax system inconjuction with the GST and at the time was set at 25%. In 2008 it increased to 33%. 

No - Howard/Costello were in by then and it was definitely a Keating thing.

Funnily enough I can't find a reference on the internet for when it was introduced.  That's because there's a thousand pages in Google of people saying 'let's get rid of this stupid tax'

My mum drives a 1994 180E which was a Benz stripper special with cloth, manual windows, clock instead of tach and the smallest motor they made.  These were introduced to get under the LCT at the time.  So I'm guessing it came in around 1994.

Funnily enough both parties have done a tax review and both found the LCT should go.

And yet it's still with us.  Fingers crossed the government scraps it as an election ploy.

Having said all that, even without LCT a 964 buyer has felt the sting of depreciation, especially after inflation.

While many are amazed at the price rises of recent times, it's only regaining a fraction of what was lost.  Especially for those c4 cabs!

And says for those who bought a 928 new....sport of kings!

Mind you an s-class from the early nineties has probably fared worse.  I'm glad there are rich guys stil out there taking the hit for everyone else.  Please keep going, your fellow enthusiasts need you.