I was amused to discover a few years back that "sunroof delete" was a desirable "option".

Never been one for sunroofs anyway . So have a rare colour , sunroof delete 911 with black interior & tartan inserts.

It was being heavily overlooked on the market when I rescued it! Ah , fashions.

To me the discussion about whether a car has, or does not have, a sunroof or about the colour of a car is irrelevant when used in the context of  "to buy or not buy a particular car".

If you buying a new car then it is a different matter. You will make the decisions on colour and accessories on your preference at the time. Buying a second hand (used, pre owned) the decisions has already been made.

Any decision I have made when deciding to buy a particular car has been based on the car as a whole unit. The colour, sunroof. interior colour are very minor factors in my final decision..

I have owned 3 Porsches over a 20 year period-2 with sunroofs and 1 without. Personally, and for a variety of reasons. I would prefer a Porsche without a sunroof. But then I would never buy a Targa or a Cabriolet either.

If I can jump in with buy or not buy, whats peoples thoughts 964 Tiptronics converted to Manuals.

I am aware that it is an enthusiast will always want an original manual, which appears to be quite rare.

Is the Value added only to that of the cost of the conversion? or is there an extra value to the car.

The Car I am thinking of is an a via South Africa import.

Edited by au-yt

To me the discussion about whether a car has, or does not have, a sunroof or about the colour of a car is irrelevant when used in the context of  "to buy or not buy a particular car".

If you buying a new car then it is a different matter. You will make the decisions on colour and accessories on your preference at the time. Buying a second hand (used, pre owned) the decisions has already been made.

Any decision I have made when deciding to buy a particular car has been based on the car as a whole unit. The colour, sunroof. interior colour are very minor factors in my final decision..

I have owned 3 Porsches over a 20 year period-2 with sunroofs and 1 without. Personally, and for a variety of reasons. I would prefer a Porsche without a sunroof. But then I would never buy a Targa or a Cabriolet either.

What about those drivers with super-human skills who can feel the higher polar moment of inertia?  :ph34r:

If I can jump in with buy or not buy, whats peoples thoughts 964 Tiptronics converted to Manuals.

I am aware that it is an enthusiast will always want an original manual, which appears to be quite rare.

Is the Value added only to that of the cost of the conversion? or is there an extra value to the car.

It's not a cheap or straightforward exercise. There are several threads if you search google and rennlist. The shop I use have done one and not at all keen to do it again...

Prior to recent price increases (last couple years) it was advisable to use the approx. $20k (being the rough cost if you're paying someone to do the conversion) and just buy a genuine manual as the price differences between manuals and tips were in this ballpark (assuming you were patient and acted quickly when a manual surfaced). Now however the value gap between the two seems to have a grown so a conversion might be worth revisiting. Of course it will always be a converted car and whilst not as significant as LHD-RHD swaps, in P-car land any conversion will hurt the value. My advice, if you can afford (and find one) buy a genuine manual. If you can't, pick up a tip and just drive it until you can afford the conversion, or a trade up to a manual. And who knows, just maybe in that time you'll fall for changing gears with your thumbs:ph34r:...

(Also, if converting, keep all original parts with the car, unless you need to flog them to pay for some new bits) 

I think Mike looked into this for his Tipy, But it was a expensive option i seem to remember, Mike might chime in :D 

What about those drivers with super-human skills who can feel the higher polar moment of inertia?  :ph34r:

That certainly doesn't apply to me... however... currently owning one with and one without there are several advantages to owning a "sunroof delete" car:

• I am fairly tall when seated and the extra headroom without the sunroof is a big plus, especially with a helmet on
  • No fear of rust
  • No fear of leaks
  • One less item to fail and eat your wallet
  • The knowledge that your centre of gravity is that crucial amount lower;)

But as an architect in the city an opening roof sure makes gawking up at stuff easier!

• I am fairly tall when seated and the extra headroom without the sunroof is a big plus, especially with a helmet on

I suffer this in the 928, but it's not a problem 964.  187cm, unexcited.

Edited by KGB

I think Mike looked into this for his Tipy, But it was a expensive option i seem to remember, Mike might chime in :D 

Only just saw this...

I asked a couple of places.. was told it was too hard..

Autohaus were the only place I found who had done it, and they did not want to do it again due to the complexity and cost. Although we never even got as far as discussing actual dollar values.

I could not find ANY info online from anyone who had done the conversion. but there are lots of threads of people who have opinions on the cost.

In the end, I drove the tip as a tip and if it had 5 ratios instead of 4, it would have been awesome. In the end, I found a C2 manual... the gearing seems quite tall in that too.. but it is still a little more fun than the tip.

But I liked the tip and would definately have another. In the real world, it was probably just as quick as the manual.

I dislike sunroofs. (sunrooves?)

I have one car with a sunroof.  Guess which car has had two wet floors from blocked sunroof drain tubes?  The drain tubes are small and must be constantly cleaned in case dirt blocks them.

It's a glass roof, and if you open the internal blind, the wind noise is significantly higher.

In the QLD summer a glass roof with the blind open will bake your head and having the roof open with fry your head.

It also has a finicky fault where the little wind deflector doesn't always pop down properly, and the safety feature detects this and re-opens it.  Leading ti a situation where it takes 10 attempts to close it.

The only redeeming feature is when you load bikes on the racks you can keep an eye on them through the glass roof.

In a previous car I also discovered the shortcomings of an open roof - you must not make remarks about passing pedestrians to your passenger !

New data point for the 964 fanciers.

The whisper is that Duttons have just sold one of the six Aussie delivered 964 Speedsters for AU$400k. 

14 made in RHD, with only 12 of those thought to be still on the road.

Holy F$%*! I thought they only recently cracked the $250k mark...

Someone please sell me a time machine... This was for sale in 2009, I remember at the time thinking it was pricey...:(

964-Speedster-1_zpsx39j2cix.jpg

I'd love a 964 Cab and happy for it be a Tip and prefer a C2 :P:P:P  and really a Targa 964 would be the bees knees

I wonder what they'll go for when they hit the market again... maybe sellers waiting for the summer sun to come out?  Hasn't been any for a while now.. last one had a dodgy roof in black for $39k  and the silver one before it $32k and was for sale for months!

Has anyone seen this Sydney 964 Targa? Its an unusual color for sure.

519909d1299927940-the-ultimate-964-targa

Specs

USA/ROW: ROW
Year: 1992
Colour: Talbot Yellow
Production Date: 10/91
VIN: WP0ZZZ96ZNS430179
Picture Of Build Specs: NA

Edited by amanda
added pic

I'd love a 964 Cab and happy for it be a Tip and prefer a C2 :P:P:P

I wonder what they'll go for when they hit the market again... maybe sellers waiting for the summer sun to come out?  Hasn't been any for a while now.. last one had a dodgy roof in black for $39k  and the silver one before it $32k and was for sale for months!

Would you consider a manual C4 Cab instead Amanda?

Would you consider a manual C4 Cab instead Amanda?

Next Jan or Feb - yes I would consider it.  I need to make sure I'm permanent at work and also gives me time to save a bunch more $$$   so not ready now.  Even if the most amazing car ever came on the market, I would walk away.

Next Jan or Feb - yes I would consider it.  I need to make sure I'm permanent at work and also gives me time to save a bunch more $$$   so not ready now.  Even if the most amazing car ever came on the market, I would walk away.

No worries Amanda, if I do decide to sell I will be starting a new thread..