Hi guys,

I bought my immaculate 1990 C2 manual Cab in December 2014 and have been astounded at how much the value has risen since then!  I've now got it insured for around 250% of the purchase price, and can't see any reason why the values won't keep rising steadily in coming years.  I contacted Harry Aspiotis at Porsche Melbourne to get an idea of how rare my car was, and all he could tell me was that there were 39 C2 Cabs delivered to Aus in 1990.

Does anyone have any information of how many of each 964 variant were delivered new to Australia, and how many are left?

Cheers, Rob

I'm betting $159k didn't probably happen, with a smile and full positive interwebs attitude displayed.

I would be very surprised if that was the sold price, if in fact it sold.  Be good for you and me if it did!

Edited by D911SC
typo

A well known mechanic was saying that a 964 did visit the shop and had extensive front end damage. He said to tread carefully with backdates as often the donor cars are less than pristine / end of life...

The comments about the backdates are a bit of a sweeping statement. In many ways, the condition of the donor car is irrelevant. What matters is the condition after the work has been done and that is verifiable. The ones I know are sound cars.

The particular car above has taken at least 10 months to sell and I wonder what price it sold for . IMO, it shows what is wrong with a 964 narrow body backdate. It just doesn't look right. look at the wheel offsets, or lack of them. But as a Zag car, you can bet it was done properly.

Thread drift.

Why? It's a 964 based car and therefore is part of the 964 market? After all, it's a 964 with a body kit and custom interior. Plus you have the option of returning it to original spec, if the economics ever stacked up.

Edited by SimonN

If you could get it for 90K I'd say its worth converting to a manual given the price differential. There's a G50 gearbox on ebay for 6k  (offer 5k) now. Its out of a C4 so you would need to change the nose cone. All other ancillaries and labor I reckon about <15k inc. box.  

Why? It's a 964 based car and therefore is part of the 964 market? After all, it's a 964 with a body kit and custom interior. Plus you have the option of returning it to original spec, if the economics ever stacked up.

It's trying to be something completely different, clearly and intentionally discarding it's 964ishness, some might even opine it's akin to Caitlyn Jenner renouncing his manliness.

If you could get it for 90K I'd say its worth converting to a manual given the price differential. There's a G50 gearbox on ebay for 6k  (offer 5k) now. Its out of a C4 so you would need to change the nose cone. All other ancillaries and labor I reckon about <15k inc. box.  

If you're paying someone else to do the work the number is well over $30k. Had this conversation with a local shop recently. They did one a while back, will never do it again, much harder than it appears.

If you're paying someone else to do the work the number is well over $30k. Had this conversation with a local shop recently. They did one a while back, will never do it again, much harder than it appears.

Just my experience - I've just done such a conversion on my 993. The 993 6 speed box is about double the cost of the G50 5 spd - if you can find one.  I'd have a chat to Stuart Drummond at Nine Auto he did my conversion and quote " its a piece of piss.  As for cost tell those guys their dream'in closer to 20K for the 993 with the 6 spd. Buy that box for 5K on ebay and you've got 10 to play with,

Just my experience - I've just done such a conversion on my 993. The 993 6 speed box is about double the cost of the G50 5 spd - if you can find one.  I'd have a chat to Stuart Drummond at Nine Auto he did my conversion and quote " its a piece of piss.  As for cost tell those guys their dream'in closer to 20K for the 993 with the 6 spd. Buy that box for 5K on ebay and you've got 10 to play with,

KId,

Was finding suitable axles, shifter and linkages and pedal box as difficult as finding the gearbox?

Is my maths correct that there was about $10k of labour involved?

Thanks

Peter 

KId,

Was finding suitable axles, shifter and linkages and pedal box as difficult as finding the gearbox?

Is my maths correct that there was about $10k of labour involved?

Thanks

Peter 

Hi Peter

I was looking for almost two years for a Aussie delivered gearbox and all the ancillaries. I was lucky Stuart located a locally delivered manual 993 cab with similar KM's to mine that was being wrecked.  I was a "meal deal" so I got everything I needed to do the entire conversion.  As for labor you are way out it was much cheaper than that, took 3 days to undertake.

I believe the 964 is a little more difficult to convert than the 993 (so Stuart tells me) although it wouldn't be that much more for labor.  

I am over the moon with the conversion!

There was only 7 993 C2S delivered as manuals out of 95 cars  

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...