Dropped again over night.  Anyone want to buy a 2015 Boxster S PDK with 18000 klms on it for $120K

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4234333

Well it's back at $108K again.  The car he wanted to buy (hence the drop to $100K) must have been bought by someone else, so we are back at $108K and the car is now another year older.

Is the 964 3.6 Turbo for sale on Ebay worth 5 x C4's @$500K? (me think not).  Like buying CBA shares 2 years ago at $93. Have not yet recovered the loss.

Not exactly.  Just realised that it's the only car I have with decent AC so might need to hang on to it until the end of the summer.  ..not that keeping hold of it looks to be a problem right now ?

Ah $94k then Nick when the summers over and it needs a regas and A/C overhaul $1k and 5k/5% haggle room in your low price ;) 

Welcome to the debate enjoy.. the rollercoaster of prices and expectations .. forums and realities .. Just dont put it on ebay 

Please don't take this the wrong way but I feel the need to set the record straight or at least provide some additional information that may assist others trying to make similar evaluations/conclusions. 

In the past 2-3 years only a handful of C2 man coupes have hit the open market (5-6 from memory but I'm currently OS and don't have access to my records!) Prices over this period have risen considerably, one particular car was flipped at least 3 times in this period making significant profit for each seller amazingly! So much so that I don't know of any C2 man coupes selling under 100k in the past 12 months but I do know of at least 3 that have sold for well north of your 98k evaluation.

Granted you have presented 1 example from carsales (listing only on the 24th December) but you also need to acknowledge that there are another 3 cars all north of this on the same site. Whilst I understand these are all still for sale, the evidence is not there to validate these are a 100k car on the basis of a single listing and speculation of a seller being prepared to move 10% (I know I wasn't prepared to move an inch on mine).

As I've said many times before, sitting on the sideline of Carsales is no place to determine values as more than ever (especially in the current climate) the good cars don't make it there. What is typically making carsales is either the dregs or dealer cars - neither are usually fair indicators of what cars are really worth to the genuine enthusiast market. I say genuine enthusiasts as I'd consider anyone paying over 100k for a 25+ yo car knows what they are looking at and what to look out for. Typically these people are also like myself and prepared to pay a premium for a car that ticks all the right boxes. To have 4 C2's listed on carsales is unprecedented but they are also all red, not sure why but red doesn't seem to be that popular (colour can be a big box to tick!)

Take it from me, these cars are very desirable and worth north of 98k - but good on anyone who can get their hands on one for less! 

I think what differs here Hugh is that I'm talking "good or average" cars and you're talking "great, excellent, immaculate cars". And also an enthusiast who jumps on a "high" price coz it's just the right immaculate car for him vs the owner who needs to sell soon and the actual sale is a "low" price. They are both always in the market place somewhere, so there's a big price fluctuation between the two and the condition. I do take your point.

Would still be interested to know when formulating a price in one's head for the value of a car, what $$$ amount you  (or anyone else for that matter) deduct from a 964 man coupe for being an import, an auto, a cabriolet?

It would good t know how many people that make comments about these cars have been in one, Over the years have been in a few P cars, They all have their special feel about them, But for me the 964 C2 5/Speed ticks all the boxes, Had it for bout 9 years and love every drive.  

Tomo, I've owned an SC for 3 years, driven many times everything from a 944, 928, 964C4, 993 C2, 993 Turbo, 996 C2, 996 Turbos and of course my missus' boxster - and they were all fantastic, except the 944

Edited by sandy468

From my recent experience listing my C4 for sale, Condition is important, however paint and trim colour combo are even more important. Then ad the C2 factor to a good combination and your are in the box seat as a seller.

Miliage does not really seem to concern buyers, however history does.

I have mentioned it before, but I had six genuine inquires at $108K, two of which wanted PPIs. Is someone was willing to hand over the $108K who knows. :ph34r:

Please don't take this the wrong way but I feel the need to set the record straight or at least provide some additional information that may assist others trying to make similar evaluations/conclusions. 

In the past 2-3 years only a handful of C2 man coupes have hit the open market (5-6 from memory but I'm currently OS and don't have access to my records!) Prices over this period have risen considerably, one particular car was flipped at least 3 times in this period making significant profit for each seller amazingly! So much so that I don't know of any C2 man coupes selling under 100k in the past 12 months but I do know of at least 3 that have sold for well north of your 98k evaluation.

Granted you have presented 1 example from carsales (listing only on the 24th December) but you also need to acknowledge that there are another 3 cars all north of this on the same site. Whilst I understand these are all still for sale, the evidence is not there to validate these are a 100k car on the basis of a single listing and speculation of a seller being prepared to move 10% (I know I wasn't prepared to move an inch on mine).

As I've said many times before, sitting on the sideline of Carsales is no place to determine values as more than ever (especially in the current climate) the good cars don't make it there. What is typically making carsales is either the dregs or dealer cars - neither are usually fair indicators of what cars are really worth to the genuine enthusiast market. I say genuine enthusiasts as I'd consider anyone paying over 100k for a 25+ yo car knows what they are looking at and what to look out for. Typically these people are also like myself and prepared to pay a premium for a car that ticks all the right boxes. To have 4 C2's listed on carsales is unprecedented but they are also all red, not sure why but red doesn't seem to be that popular (colour can be a big box to tick!)

Take it from me, these cars are very desirable and worth north of 98k - but good on anyone who can get their hands on one for less! 

I agree Hugh. I'll add here a personal point of reference: I purchased an aussie, C2, manual with low km (125k), in very good condition, mid 2015 for $100k. At the time this was up there, but prices were still moving north. I sold it to fund other purchases just 6 months later for $130k. It was guards red too :ph34r: 

So a year on I think, like most air cooled cars you are looking at a big price bracket depending on condition, km, modifications, service history, colour combo and aussie v os (although this last point seems less important than it use to be if there is good history and condition). I'd be placing C2 manual coupe's in a broad range spanning between $110k - 160k +

I'm finding the pricing discussion interesting particularly colour and market interest.

my 93 c2 manual 53000km coupe,  sold last year, I do wonder how it would be seen today against current crop

can anyone advise on last man targa seen in either c2 or c4 guise ?

Edited by michel

I feel like this was for sale last year at some point ? 

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-4485640

Great colour combo. Didn't know Switzerland was a RHD market but cool. A lot of 964's on the market right now. @Fraz seems you made the right call to remove. 

Couple of 965's on the market though:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1991/SSE-AD-4485365/?Cr=8

91 - $485k

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1992/SSE-AD-4487656/?Cr=9

92 - $449k

Switzerland is a LHD country, but plenty of ex-pat Brits live there so it may be one of them ordered it in RHD. What's odd is the speedo being purely in km/h, as anything UK spec will have a dual mph/km's speedo. Rest of Europe is in kmh, only the UK is mph.

Nice car, but I'd be buying Fraz's or the grey 964 at that price point.