Beginning of the year update: 16x 964's on carsales, some new ones, some sitting for a few months now and nearly half are Guards Red Coupes! Will be interesting to see what happens with these cars this year... I wouldn't be surprised to see sale prices 10-15% below asking.

964_CS_20170104_zpss1kduhrb.jpg

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-4387289/?Cr=121

Only 20,000 miles from new? The seat looks really worn for the ks, as does the floor mat. Not to mention the discoloured top considering the following claim: This Porsche has been kept garaged all its life and has only ever been driven in dry conditions.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-4387289/?Cr=121

Only 20,000 miles from new? The seat looks really worn for the ks, as does the floor mat. Not to mention the discoloured top considering the following claim: This Porsche has been kept garaged all its life and has only ever been driven in dry conditions.

I could be wrong, but I thought all the cars with the digital display on the tacho do not have an analog odo on the speedo? Is that right? If so, could be a replacement speedo...

I could be wrong, but I thought all the cars with the digital display on the tacho do not have an analog odo on the speedo? Is that right? If so, could be a replacement speedo...

It has got a MPH speedo, and he claims the miles are genuine....

Import is the most likely re speedo. $98k hahahahha. least desirable aircooled. import cab tip. He's priced it same as a c2 man coupe would sell for. 

$25 off for import, $20 off for cab, $15 off for auto = $38000 + $15 extra for original mega low miles = call it $55000 ..... will be sitting a looooooooooong time!

Import is the most likely re speedo. $98k hahahahha. least desirable aircooled. import cab tip. He's priced it same as a c2 man coupe would sell for. 

$25 off for import, $20 off for cab, $15 off for auto = $38000 + $15 extra for original mega low miles = call it $55000 ..... will be sitting a looooooooooong time!

Are you saying 964's are the least desirable AC 911? Also, a good C2 man coupe is worth well north of 98k, cant say I agree with your calculations as a result. 

Are you saying 964's are the least desirable AC 911? Also, a good C2 man coupe is worth well north of 98k, cant say I agree with your calculations as a result. 

I think it's priced similarly to a C4 manual coupe.. I don't believe the odometer. I don't think the cause is a changed odometer when it was imported, as the new one would be in km/h. The wrinkled leather on the seat, the floormat that's dirtier and curled more than the one in my car that's done 130,000ks (and I'm not fastidious with my car), the fact that it's had a new roof despite being always garaged and only ever driven in dry conditions. None of his adds up to a car that's only done 20,000 miles. I call bullshit

Those tan seats can't be used as a guide to mileage. Mine has the exact same trim with documented 114K and the drivers seat leather is cracked. Tan is just a crap colour to keep nice and shows its age badly. 

I think if more people actually drove a 964-2 and especially a C4 they would change their tune.

I wonder how 964 values would fare if <1989 import laws changed...

They seem to be way over the odds here with plentiful supply in the US at $35-50K USD

And there are plenty of 964 turbos to pick from too.  $90-150K USD, while the current ebay car is supposedly north of $550k AUD!

! Warning ! No spreadsheets have been formulated in the making of this comment!

I'll just disclaimer the above that this is not from extensive research - more a quick curious look. 

Edited by TrevMcRev

Nope, didn't say that Hugh, read it as least desirable in aircooled configuration - import cab tip. (Well for that matter that's the least desirable in most configurations). Well a "good" c2 man coupe may be worth north of $98k, depends how "good" it is, what it would actually "sell"  for north of 98. Here's a good 964c2 man coupe for $115k, been there awhile, and knock a touch more than 10% off at reasonable negotiating (it is common as muck red after all;)) and it's "selling"  at near on 98k.  

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1991/SSE-AD-3931614/?Cr=8

So lets say 100k sells the c2 man coupe above - what's the $$$$ discounts you apply for it being an import?, a cab?, an auto? to reach your estimated sell price of ??

Nope, didn't say that Hugh, read it as least desirable in aircooled configuration - import cab tip. (Well for that matter that's the least desirable in most configurations). Well a "good" c2 man coupe may be worth north of $98k, depends how "good" it is, what it would actually "sell"  for north of 98. Here's a good 964c2 man coupe for $115k, been there awhile, and knock a touch more than 10% off at reasonable negotiating (it is common as muck red after all;)) and it's "selling"  at near on 98k.  

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1991/SSE-AD-3931614/?Cr=8

So lets say 100k sells the c2 man coupe above - what's the $$$$ discounts you apply for it being an import?, a cab?, an auto? to reach your estimated sell price of ??

Please don't take this the wrong way but I feel the need to set the record straight or at least provide some additional information that may assist others trying to make similar evaluations/conclusions. 

In the past 2-3 years only a handful of C2 man coupes have hit the open market (5-6 from memory but I'm currently OS and don't have access to my records!) Prices over this period have risen considerably, one particular car was flipped at least 3 times in this period making significant profit for each seller amazingly! So much so that I don't know of any C2 man coupes selling under 100k in the past 12 months but I do know of at least 3 that have sold for well north of your 98k evaluation.

Granted you have presented 1 example from carsales (listing only on the 24th December) but you also need to acknowledge that there are another 3 cars all north of this on the same site. Whilst I understand these are all still for sale, the evidence is not there to validate these are a 100k car on the basis of a single listing and speculation of a seller being prepared to move 10% (I know I wasn't prepared to move an inch on mine).

As I've said many times before, sitting on the sideline of Carsales is no place to determine values as more than ever (especially in the current climate) the good cars don't make it there. What is typically making carsales is either the dregs or dealer cars - neither are usually fair indicators of what cars are really worth to the genuine enthusiast market. I say genuine enthusiasts as I'd consider anyone paying over 100k for a 25+ yo car knows what they are looking at and what to look out for. Typically these people are also like myself and prepared to pay a premium for a car that ticks all the right boxes. To have 4 C2's listed on carsales is unprecedented but they are also all red, not sure why but red doesn't seem to be that popular (colour can be a big box to tick!)

Take it from me, these cars are very desirable and worth north of 98k - but good on anyone who can get their hands on one for less! 

Edited by hugh

It would good t know how many people that make comments about these cars have been in one, Over the years have been in a few P cars, They all have their special feel about them, But for me the 964 C2 5/Speed ticks all the boxes, Had it for bout 9 years and love every drive.