Resale doesn't come into the equation in this example of your musings?   Or I simply misunderstand, sorry.

I am not sure what you are saying. My comment was meant to imply that that the c2 is significantly more expensive (so it loses out at the bank). Resale doesn't come into it. They should both move by the same % and it seems to me that there seems little evidence to suggest that the C4's don't appreciate by the same percentage as C2's. Maybe they are a little harder to sell, but surely that is simply a function of price. Like any car, if you buy at the right price and when the time comes, price it to sell accordingly, resale shouldn't be an issue.

Both the C2 and C4 are awesome 911's, there's no wrong choice. Having owned both, at the same time, I'd simply say both can be significantly transformed with decent upgrades to suspension, motor mounts, LWF/RS clutch etc. When buying, as with any 911, the determining factors for a 964 should/will be condition, availability and the big one... affordability!

The problem with the last word is that it doesn't pertain to 964s anymore

I am not sure what you are saying. My comment was meant to imply that that the c2 is significantly more expensive (so it loses out at the bank). Resale doesn't come into it. They should both move by the same % and it seems to me that there seems little evidence to suggest that the C4's don't appreciate by the same percentage as C2's. Maybe they are a little harder to sell, but surely that is simply a function of price. Like any car, if you buy at the right price and when the time comes, price it to sell accordingly, resale shouldn't be an issue.

I don't understand the "loses at the bank" comment if you're implying they both appreciate at the same rate.  If it's simply about bang for buck then a $5k MX-5 is where you're at.

Wasn't the C4 more expensive new?  So, there goes that argument.

Not sure that there was much, if any, difference in C2 or C4 prices up until 3-4 years ago was there? 

I don't understand the "loses at the bank" comment if you're implying they both appreciate at the same rate.  If it's simply about bang for buck then a $5k MX-5 is where you're at.

Wasn't the C4 more expensive new?  So, there goes that argument.

Not sure that there was much, if any, difference in C2 or C4 prices up until 3-4 years ago was there? 

Sorry, clearly i am not making this very clear. It looks to me like at the moment, a C4 is something like $30-40k cheaper than a C2. So if I buy the C2, my bank account will $30-40k worse off. It is irrelevant what a C4 cost new. All that matters is what it costs now. i also think it is irrelevant what they were worth 3-4 years ago, although my memory suggests there was a premium for C2's then. What matter is what they cost now, and how that price changes going forward. And it seems fairly simple to me. Your bank account will have less in it if you buy a C2 today. My crystal ball, which is often faulty ;) also says that the C4 and C2 prices will move about the same amount bin percentage terms because I think the premium is now set. There is a slight chance that the C4 might always sell at a discount of, say, $30-40k and therefore might be seen to appreciate slightly better, but I suspect from an "investment" viewpoint, the 2 will be pretty equal.

Sorry, clearly i am not making this very clear. It looks to me like at the moment, a C4 is something like $30-40k cheaper than a C2. So if I buy the C2, my bank account will $30-40k worse off. It is irrelevant what a C4 cost new. All that matters is what it costs now. i also think it is irrelevant what they were worth 3-4 years ago, although my memory suggests there was a premium for C2's then. What matter is what they cost now, and how that price changes going forward. And it seems fairly simple to me. Your bank account will have less in it if you buy a C2 today. My crystal ball, which is often faulty ;) also says that the C4 and C2 prices will move about the same amount bin percentage terms because I think the premium is now set. There is a slight chance that the C4 might always sell at a discount of, say, $30-40k and therefore might be seen to appreciate slightly better, but I suspect from an "investment" viewpoint, the 2 will be pretty equal.

Your understanding of the time value of money is obviously different to mine.

Whilst I was at the mechanic's today, he showed me a customer's dark blue original 964RS with 44,000kms. Absolutely breathtaking condition.  

Took some photos as I'll probably never see one again.

Not knowing the history etc, what would that be worth prima facie?

come in spinner ( @SimonN ) 

Whilst I was at the mechanic's today, he showed me a customer's dark blue original 964RS with 44,000kms. Absolutely breathtaking condition.  

Took some photos as I'll probably never see one again.

Not knowing the history etc, what would that be worth prima facie?

Without more info, its hard to know. i thought only 1 dark blue car was Oz delivered and the one I know is owned by Ben in Sydney. It could be an import, maybe one of the 2 cars believed to have come from NZ or the car rumoured to have come from Japan. It is unlikely to be a UK car, because of the speedo being in km's. 

Assuming it's Oz delivered and got its history and still has all the right bits, such as original bonnet with sticker that has the chassis number, correct seats etc, with that mileage, 8-9 months ago it was probably worth up to $600k. Since then, while the market values in the UK and Europe have stayed strong for quality cars, maybe even gone up a little, but the currency movements have confused the picture. Back then a GBP 225,000 car equalled about $450,000 then, while now its "only" $370k :o. So far, imports have mirrored UK prices, but with so few cars changing hands, the question is whether the values have dropped back because of the currency and if so, only for imports or for Oz delivered cars as well?

My guess would be that you are looking at something between $500k and $600k if it is Oz delivered and between $350k and $400k if it is an import.

Did you see underneath and the suspension/brakes. How did they look? Please post some photos.

Upper end of the spectrum for an ex-UK C4, looks tidy from what can be seen in the plethora of pics...

Great looking car with a very ambitious asking price (for a dirty UK import!). Isn't that Oz delivered car money? Will the special additions outweigh the market prejudices against  imports? I hope it does.

Great looking car!

I am wondering if it's the same car I looked at here in Qld a couple years ago (or more). It was for sale at Ormeau... I saved the images from the advert... 

It had just been resprayed by a gold coast hot rod shop, but had some bubbling in the rear quarter... it was listed for $50k... looked really really good apart from the bubbling. And also was an ex UK car.. but he said he bought it from Perth...

cp5097316470567970510_zps24d727c5.jpg

cp5216297211893894427_zps101f3e3f.jpg

cp5418384428835269740_zpsd206083a.jpg

cp5663652699066383314_zps4c236f77.jpg