Thanks Fraz.

So to get the car sorted properly, possibly looking at 20k plus worth of work?

clutch shutter - possibly  needs new clutch, diaphragm springs or similar.

engine - as you said vacuum and whatever else. Fan belt noise.

Oil leaks - heaps of work there. 

Body work - hate shody panel work - probably take it to bare metal and redo. 

So 25k to get it back to PFA standard? :)

Sounds like it might not be worth buying? 

What;s  your take on this? Rather spend bit more and get a clean example from the start?

Double it!

The reality is that it will either go to some unsuspecting punter who knows no better or else a stealer  dealer will buy it, do a bit of paint work to hide the bad stuff and give it a good polish, clean off all signs of oil leaks, do the minimum to make it seem like a nice runner and then sell it on as a far nicer car than it really is. I bet they could get it back to superficially A1 for only a few thousand $$$'s. Then they sell it for close to top money, helped by having all the books/history. It seems the seller must have turned down $70k, but maybe $75-80k would buy it, giving an all in price between $80-85k and see it on the market for $110k and end up making $20k plus. Either way, I suspect some poor punter could end up with a fairly average car for too much money.

When I see cars like this, i wish I didn't have so many scruples! There is money to be made out there, but I want to sleep at night.

The reality is that it will either go to some unsuspecting punter who knows no better or else a stealer  dealer will buy it, do a bit of paint work to hide the bad stuff and give it a good polish, clean off all signs of oil leaks, do the minimum to make it seem like a nice runner and then sell it on as a far nicer car than it really is. I bet they could get it back to superficially A1 for only a few thousand $$$'s. Then they sell it for close to top money, helped by having all the books/history. It seems the seller must have turned down $70k, but maybe $75-80k would buy it, giving an all in price between $80-85k and see it on the market for $110k and end up making $20k plus. Either way, I suspect some poor punter could end up with a fairly average car for too much money.

When I see cars like this, i wish I didn't have so many scruples! There is money to be made out there, but I want to sleep at night.

What's a scruple?

....see it on the market for $110k and end up making $20k plus. 

But Simon how many C4's are actually selling at $110k nowadays?  I think the market value would be closer to $95k or $100k after a tidy up so I think that's the reason the car is still for sale as there is no profit margin in it at its current price.

But Simon how many C4's are actually selling at $110k nowadays?  I think the market value would be closer to $95k or $100k after a tidy up so I think that's the reason the car is still for sale as there is no profit margin in it at its current price.

You may be right about where the market really is, which is why $70k has been offered. But even so, at $75k, spend less than $5k on it, that could be $15-20k profit. Some of these types would settle for less, or, more likely, do the work themselves so a quick rub down and spray to the dodgy paint, a day buffing and a big clean underneath to get rid of the leaks. A little bit of spannering etc. I bet the right person could do a job that would fool some for very little money. I have seen a few at work and it is really scary/impressive what they can achieve in so little time and spending no money. They don't care about how it looks in a few months time. They probably aren't even registered as traders and make out they are private. And I bet they would actually settle for less than $10k profit for a quick sale, because the quicker the sale, the sooner they move onto the next one.

It's a pretty nasty "underworld" out there than think nothing of doing this sort of thing. At least they are just about legal. The ones that really scare me are those who do the illegal stuff and put really unsafe cars back on the road. I think we are also fortunate that we are the "informed" ones. It constantly surprises me how many people buy older cars with next to no knowledge of cars. My daughter and her friends are all getting their first cars and the number of her friends who have bought cheap cars their father's have looked at for them, despite never having lifted a spanner in their lives, is unreal. There are even 2 cars I have told my daughter never to go in because it is so clear that they are really dodgy.

This one is back and cheaper, I am not surprised it's back. I know the owner and he had similar experiences with buyers as I did. I think he is at the point of just wanting it gone.

Out of curisoty Fraz, where is the 964 C2 manual (red), from? South Africa or UK?

This one is back and cheaper, I am not surprised it's back. I know the owner and he had similar experiences with buyers as I did. I think he is at the point of just wanting it gone.

80FD0E98-B951-4DD9-B69C-3507F4C9F7F5_zps

Congrats @nick964 

IMG_6259_zps27e0hv8u.png

The 964 C4 has finally sold.  Sad my lotto numbers did not come in before this one went.....

not everyone agrees:

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1992/OAG-AD-14307181

i realise it's widebody, but it's still an auto cab

And a HK import to boot!

9, yes that's right nine, red 964's on car sales and now CTS has one ?

http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/modernclassic8.html

Nicely buffed, though. Pretty! Guards Red looks *so* ordinary when it's dull...

• 2 weeks later...