Another (red) 964 C4 to hit the market. Looks like a well cared for example with good maintenance and history $128k, 181,000km

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-4348123/?Cr=63

cp5555967728291667137.jpg?aspect=FitWith

Geebus, (after reading this ad description) are these 25-26 year old cars worth all the effort and dollars to own? It sounds like they are a money pits. 

try

1) north of,

2) and each :) 

plus install

looks like the guy has spent over the car price alone on works as suspension just for front diff is 25k for new parts to rebuild but he has said the whole thing, 20k plus engine...

No mention of the front diff mate, Billy's all round fitted around 4K , Luk dual mass flywheel and clutch kit say 3 K can not imagine to much wrong with the gear box plus engine build say 40 k spend ;)

I think you're seeing things. Looks like a reflection giving a red tinge 

Cheers for that; as people in the office started looking at me funny when I picked up the laptop and started tilting and twisting it.....hence the question :lol:

Geebus, (after reading this ad description) are these 25-26 year old cars worth all the effort and dollars to own? It sounds like they are a money pits. 

Some people go overboard or the shop has upsold them.  Like this one. Top end tear down and it turned out to be his valve covers and hoses? Might as well have set fire to his money on the front lawn.

Some people go overboard or the shop has upsold them.  Like this one. Top end tear down and it turned out to be his valve covers and hoses? Might as well have set fire to his money on the front lawn.

Unfortunately a lot of us owners are either not mechanically inclined or have the knowledge to question what ever the work shops tell us.

It is easy to spend nuts on these.. the next "stage" is so close to the one you have currently identified as your problem.

I just found a thread on rennlist, where the fellow wanted to re-seal his timing chain boxes and ended up stripping down to the case. He didn't change headstuds though- he re-used his. When he pulled the valve covers off, he found very minor pitting in one of the lobes.. so got his cam reground.. which meant getting the followers done.. you may as well get them all done right?

And while the cam tower is empty, it's only 15 13mm nuts and 3 8mm barrel nuts to get the cam tower off.. this way you can remove the heads to inspect the seal between the heads and the cylinders.. then you may as well get them re-sealed! And now you can put in new rings!

By removing the cylinders, you can replace the cylinder through bolts 1x1 without splitting the case; they are PRONE to leaking. Very easy job to do.

And to split the case, is not really that big a deal.. at least that was my thinking. It's just so easy to justify going to the next step :)

When I split mine, my main bearings were mint, my rod bearings were mint, but the IMS bearings (plain bearings) were worn.. so that gave me some justification for splitting I guess.

There is no right or wrong answer I suppose, as to now far you go. It is up to your wallet and your engine builder's experience and capability.

Honestly, I'd say generally they are no more expensive to run than most modern euro equivalents and far more robust too. I have plenty of mates with new Audi, Mercs, Bmw's etc. and the costs (and problems, plenty being major) & regularity for general servicing is truly eye watering...............Keeping in mind I run a 964 as a daily and have so for almost 3 years. 

Some people just like talking about how much they spend on their cars. ;)

Honestly, I'd say generally they are no more expensive to run than most modern euro equivalents and far more robust too. I have plenty of mates with new Audi, Mercs, Bmw's etc. and the costs (and problems, plenty being major) & regularity for general servicing is truly eye watering...............Keeping in mind I run a 964 as a daily and have so for almost 3 years. 

964 as a daily.  Ooh La La :P

rich-monopoly-man.jpg

Yes and no for me I guess. Although I don't think it is catastrophically expensive to run a 964, I think it is still quite a lot more expensive that running a more modern car. Previous to Porsche ownership, I had a few modified Audi's (all around 2-4 years old at time of purchase) and the yearly costs were about 1/2 I think. 

'Like for like' independent mechanics and the hourly rate is close (Porsche is $40 p/h more for me), but I feel the extra costs of running the 964 is in the replacement parts due to age/failure.

I guess if you had a brand new Merc/BMW/Audi and you simply dropped it off to the local dealer for a 'service', then you would paying a decent amount for the privilege. 

If it was just basic servicing and maintenance, then I think it is no more expensive but I feel I am spending between $3k-$4k a year replacing worn and old parts (some out of mechanical necessity some due to cosmetic restoration). This is following on from the long list of replacements/work that the previous owner did (engine drop and re-seal, alternator, starter motor, oil lines, etc).

I don't think this is necessarily a Porsche thing, it is a product of keeping a 26 year old car on the road and in tip-top shape. I certainly don't complain about it, the enjoyment of ownership and driving is the reward. 

Edited by poli84

964 might cost more than a modern car to run yearly, but simply, the depreciation on a more modern car will make the total cost of ownership of the 964 far more appealing.  Even with top end rebuilds etc, its just a matter of being cash-flow able to invest in the vehicle along the way.  I bought both my cars with a view that if their resale value remained static I'd be way ahead.  Then there are the rewards of Porker ownership on top of all that. 

We're fortunate enough to have an AMG also, and it enjoys corporate servicing (FREE!), and I'd put the (saved) cost of servicing at $3-5k over the period.

Edited by KGB

Yes it does.  Will you be at Brighton next week.  I would love to look at your car in the flesh.  If I had the cash your car would be on the top of my list.  Next one for me will have to be a 964.  I just love them.

No sorry Phil, have commitments on that day. Feel free to PM me if you would like to have a look. God I just like talking Porsche if you just want to have a peek. Yes I have too agree the 964 is pretty special. Drove it again today, having second thoughts. Maybe I should just skunk out the C4, funds mangers gave me the green light. Probably owe me the same as doing another car anyway.

No sorry Phil, have commitments on that day. Feel free to PM me if you would like to have a look. God I just like talking Porsche if you just want to have a peek. Yes I have too agree the 964 is pretty special. Drove it again today, having second thoughts. Maybe I should just skunk out the C4, funds mangers gave me the green light. Probably owe me the same as doing another car anyway.

My manager is salivating over me selling mine. No way buddy!