Thinking of selling mine

I am in two minds what to do , been thinking of selling mine and buying something like this 

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2006/OAG-AD-13600161/?Cr=4:)

Also depends what reasonable price i can get for mine , if i had the money i would do both but that is not a option at the moment 

Some people say i am mad to sell the AU delivered 130000kms , log books,  Carrera :wub: others say life is short do what you want ...lol 

Below is a pic of both .....but yea not sure ???

Thanks 

cd4910444664628090016_zpswx3nvcvr.jpg

IMG_1849_zpswtzfns8i.jpg

Only you can decide and the only way to decide is to drive both and work oyt which suits your needs. The turbo is a nice car, but it is completely different sort of car. I personally have no interest in one, because my Porsche is a second/third car used purely for fun and I am not after what comes with such a newer car. If I required one as my every day, primary transport, then we would have a different discussion.

I'd keep the 86 because it will be harder to get an equivalent in the future. Plus as a personal preference I prefer the look of it. 

As an aside, that 997 seems to have only had four services in 9 years. Unless I am reading the service books wrong

I have a 997,s and love it very fast and very good at every thing...how ever .......every time I drive and early air cooled 911 a part of me cry,s as I want one ,,,the earlier cars are smaller and more involved to drive and feel just as fast as the later cars even though they aren,t ,,,,,,my dream would be to have both ,,,,but having to choose is a  hard decision to make ,,,,,,,the performance of the Turbo is crazy when you get on it and addictive,,,,and you would not be disapointed with the purchase ,,,,,,Both cars are different as you would imagine but both give you that sense of satisfaction to drive and make you feel warm a fuzzy ..............very hard to choose and my deciding factor was more about  my life style and which of the cars suited it better ..

In my experience, unless you're going to the track, you will become frustrated with owning the 997 Turbo.. they're a very capable and fast car.

You will become bored of driving it in a sensible fashion, the mod cons are nice for sure, especially if it's going to be your daily (in which case perhaps disregard my first paragraph) but I suspect your 32 is your play thing?

Anyone who tells you the new cars aren't involving are not correct, they are.. however only on the limit ? And that limit is really, really, really high... so much so, you shouldn't do it on the road... and that's where the aforementioned frustration sets in! 

The older cars are easier to drive on or near the limit on the road... and that's a wonderful thing. :) 

I just sold my 1984 3.2 Carrera and bought a 996 GT3.

It was a hard decision to sell the Carrera as I had it for 8 years, but I just thought the time was right and I could move on to something else.

It's your decision to make, but having a more modern car is a better driving experience and I'm certainly looking forward to the GT3.

Cheers,

Geoff.

No way would I sell the old one.

Value alone the 997 turbo has a long way to drop, whereas the 86 is still climbing.   In 5 years I'd expect the 86 to be worth more, as crazy as that sounds.

if I had the cash for the red one, I'd be around your place this afternoon laying out the 100's on a table before you had time to think!

I can't comment on the earlier air cooled porsches, but my 997 turbo is great and I love driving it. Find out about the mods performed to the 997 you're looking at. The airbox and filters are aftermarket, most likely other things have been changed also.

It's your decision to make, but having a more modern car is a better driving experience and I'm certainly looking forward to the GT3.

This is the sort of thing I personally have an issue with. IMO, the older car has the better driver experience, for many reasons. I am not saying the Turbo don't give a good experience, but because the old car is less sophisticated, they are (even) more involving and as Edgy implies, in real life use on the roads, one behaves like a little sports car and the other behaves like a cruisy GT style car because you cannot use it's true potential. If this is to be the one and only car, the Turbo should win the debate every time, unless, like me, you love going deaf, want your fillings shaken out of your head and want to be tired at the end of each lengthy drive. :D

I've just got a 997 4S. Couldn't be happier. However it's a personal choice. I wanted a 993 but I need a regular car/daily driver. The older air cooled as much as I wanted it to fit my needs I was dreaming. Personally if you need a daily then get the turbo. If not keep the 930. If you can make both work then try to hold onto the 930. I will keep the 997 long term aim is to try to go air cooled.

enjoy the process

Every one has a different opinion. No one is right or wrong.....

All I was saying is, having driven both the GT3 and the 3.2 Carrera, the GT3  was a better driving experience, for me.

At the end of the day, there is no bad driving experience in a Porsche....

Cheers,

Geoff. 

Before I could afford to play with P cars I had a string of Nissans. I kept chasing more and more powerful cars, and in the end I had a Skyline with plenty of power, but I kept reminiscing back to the days of my first modified car, which was a Pulsar SSS. It was basically a standard engine with some minor brake and suspension upgrades, and I would regularly embarrass powerful turbo cars on a late night run through our favourite twisty drive. I found the lesser powered car so much more fun, as you could give it everything, compared to later years with "better" cars, I was always feathering the throttle and just trying to hang on. I was never really able to push it on the road.

Each to their own though. You have had the car for 8 years. I have never had any car for anywhere near that long, so for you, maybe it is just time for a change. You have one life and it is great to fill it with heaps of different experiences ;) 

I've got a car that has 650 hp. It's brilliant. Great sound, massive acceleration, handles better than anything I've ever driven.  Bluetooth, AC, leather everywhere.  

And yet ...for a spirited emotional drive I'd pick my 73E. And my warm (and soon to be warmer) C3 is up there as well.  The slowest car in the fleet is my 61 356B rat rod and yet, when it's a dry sunny day, the Sebring exhaust doing its thing.  Nothing better  

As MFX says, it's a personal thing. 

8 years. OK. Great years?  

I suspect yes. 

Newer is not always better depending on what you're looking for. 

This is the sort of thing I personally have an issue with. IMO, the older car has the better driver experience, for many reasons. I am not saying the Turbo don't give a good experience, but because the old car is less sophisticated, they are (even) more involving and as Edgy implies, in real life use on the roads, one behaves like a little sports car and the other behaves like a cruisy GT style car because you cannot use it's true potential. If this is to be the one and only car, the Turbo should win the debate every time, unless, like me, you love going deaf, want your fillings shaken out of your head and want to be tired at the end of each lengthy drive. :D

I love my old red car, but..........GT3, second gear + roundabout never gets old! :lol: 

On topic, +1 on keeping the red car. If your still undecided then you need to drive it more often. ;)

I've got a '77, a 964 and 04GT3. I will always opt to drive the '77 or the 964--I love the unrefined driving experience they give me. As for the GT3, it frustrates the crap out of me. To get the same spirited feeling I have to drive the GT3 much harder than the cops would appreciate and if my recent outings in my GT3 are an indicator--my GT3 is not good for my demerit points:( For me, I'd stick with the older 911's as they're better on your license.

I've got a '77, a 964 and 04GT3. I will always opt to drive the '77 or the 964--I love the unrefined driving experience they give me. As for the GT3, it frustrates the crap out of me. To get the same spirited feeling I have to drive the GT3 much harder than the cops would appreciate and if my recent outings in my GT3 are an indicator--my GT3 is not good for my demerit points:( For me, I'd stick with the older 911's as they're better on your license.

Only yobbos buy GT3's ?

One makes you feel like your doing 80kph when you're doing 40 and the other makes you feel like you're doing 40 when you're doing 80

Tough call having a 3.2 but I do love the look of the 997TT - Don't think you'd be unhappy with either

Sometimes you need a change

Archived