718 GT4 (and Spyder) revealed - the 6 pot is still in tact

edgy

It's a 4.0L.

BUT they then went and limited the torque of the car to protect the gearbox. So really the 4.0L is just marketing as the main reason for doing it has been blunted.

screen_shot_2019_06_17_at_7_35_32_pm_f25d2a2f4d33f62fac6a75040f4b668285ce083e.png

Extra 30HP  is negated by the fact its 80kgs heavier than the old one. So it has the same 0-100km/hr time. Also currently no mention of a Club Sport option. They have said it's 10s faster around the Ring - but its also coming with the N1 version of the Cup 2's over the old N0's. Which equal about 10s around the ring....

That all being said - what you are basically getting now is a 2019 version of a car that is simply awesome. It's just not really any better than the old one was, so for those of us with the old one's we just don't have any reason to upgrade. But for those that missed out last time you now have a chance to get something great.

1 hour ago, Snowman said:

It's a 4.0L.

BUT they then went and limited the torque of the car to protect the gearbox. So really the 4.0L is just marketing as the main reason for doing it has been blunted.

screen_shot_2019_06_17_at_7_35_32_pm_f25d2a2f4d33f62fac6a75040f4b668285ce083e.png

Extra 30HP  is negated by the fact its 80kgs heavier than the old one. So it has the same 0-100km/hr time. Also currently no mention of a Club Sport option. They have said it's 10s faster around the Ring - but its also coming with the N1 version of the Cup 2's over the old N0's. Which equal about 10s around the ring....

That all being said - what you are basically getting now is a 2019 version of a car that is simply awesome. It's just not really any better than the old one was, so for those of us with the old one's we just don't have any reason to upgrade. But for those that missed out last time you now have a chance to get something great.

The only criticism I've ever heard levelled at the old one is the gear ratios being too tall (I've never driven one so I have no idea if this has a real world effect on the experience of driving it in anger). Wonder if they've changed that for this model though...

1 minute ago, Andy73 said:

The only criticism I've ever heard levelled at the old one is the gear ratios being too tall (I've never driven one so I have no idea if this has a real world effect on the experience of driving it in anger). Wonder if they've changed that for this model though...

They haven’t. Elsewhere I read them saying have to do that to pass emissions...

7 minutes ago, JWM said:

They haven’t. Elsewhere I read them saying have to do that to pass emissions...

Ah right - here's the 'solution' as reported in Top Gear...

"And the bigger engine now has a wider torque band. Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger is confident this erases one of the only problems with the old GT4 – that the gearing was too long. The gearing is the same this time around, but the car might punch through each ratio a bit harder." 

Except they limited torque to protect the gearbox....

Honestly - I'd expect if you got a 981 GT4 with a set of headers (which went a long way towards improving lower end torque), and compared it to the 718 GT4 on exactly the same rubber you'd struggle to find a real life performance difference between the 2 from what we can tell from the specs at this stage.

I think there is about as many real world differences here between these 2 cars as there was between the 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 RS's.

39 minutes ago, Snowman said:

I think there is about as many real world differences here between these 2 cars as there was between the 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 RS's.

Are you implying there isn't much difference between the .1 & .2 RS? Because I've been called out for saying the same as you, and then the ole Nurburgring argument comes out! 😛 

Glad they stuck with the flat 6 in the GT4 ,,,,,,a turbo 4 was never going to win the Purists over regardless of how much power and performance it had ...I still prefer the 981 Cars over the 718 due to the NA flat 6 regardless of the performance figures 

GT4  buys wanted an NA flat 6 ,,,great to see Porsche listen to them and did it ..:)

3 hours ago, edgy said:

Are you implying there isn't much difference between the .1 & .2 RS? Because I've been called out for saying the same as you, and then the ole Nurburgring argument comes out! 😛 

LOL - the Nurburgring times for the 991.2 were the same as this - 95% tyres. 

I went 2.5s faster at PI with just tyres on the GT4. 10s at the Ring is easily done with the same “upgrade”.

33 minutes ago, Snowman said:

LOL - the Nurburgring times for the 991.2 were the same as this - 95% tyres. 

I went 2.5s faster at PI with just tyres on the GT4. 10s at the Ring is easily done with the same “upgrade”.

Yup, glad we agree! 😬 

i just haven’t seen the disparity in our “real world” 

Nothing racy about a H pattern manual. No real racer in the last 30 years has chosen one. Even Porsche acknowledges this with the club sport which is PDK and track only. 

Still waiting for a GT4RS with PDK and at least 330KW. Looks like I will need my deposit back.

The local configurator is up

https://www.porsche.com/australia/models/718/718-cayman-gt4/?fbclid=IwAR231uyV5rNpg0XPdpOSyLxZiOemPHHuppKFOzBnrESKRCsJJ0wMwdEA4xI

I know we have some stupid new stamp duty taxes here in Vic - but to build a car to the same spec as my old one is now just over $50K more expensive than it was 4 years ago.

I like the face lift on the front and the 8000 RPM red line will be very nice. Otherwise, the performance gains over the 981 GT4 seem minimal and the PDK 718 GTS still appears to be the faster car, albeit not necessarily on the track with the tyre/wheel disadvantage. 

I think if they release PDK version it will really lift the game. 

I just configured one and it came to $256k drive away + $6k for PDK if it was available. I don't suppose they will be offering much discount on a GT4?

4 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

According to Rennlist, the RRP in North America is sub $US100k ($96k for the Spyder and $99k for the GT4 without extras). Even with the exchange rate, that's about $75k less than we are having to pay - I wonder who pockets all that extra money ...??

The price of a PCar ex-factory is pretty much the same regardless of what country it is built for.  The local price differences are usually because of the huge variation in taxes from country to country..

As a result, comparing USA to AUS prices is not an apples to apples exercise for a number of reasons.

Firstly, all US prices are quoted ex-Sales Tax and Registration fees because they vary drastically state to state. Whereas in AUS, the prices quoted all include VAT (GST) because it is a single tax across all states. Once you add in the USA taxes, the price gap closes a bit...BUT....and its a big one....

Australia has the crazy LCT which adds a huge amount to the price and makes it just about the most expensive country in the world to buy a "luxury" car....although its not the most expensive country to buy a Porsche by far. Singapore, Norway and the Netherlands are actually more expensive than Australia.

Even in Europe, the price can vary enormously from country to country. e.g. the new GT4 in Germany is 96,000 euro (inc VAT), in Belgium next door its 99,000 euro and the the Netherlands its 151,000 euro which is more expensive than Australia when converted to AUD. Whereas Belgium and Germany are cheaper than Australia when converted.

as an example, my Belgium based 991.2 GT3 RS cost me in AUD $398,000 (inc 21% VAT and 1st Registration tax). Next week, I take delivery of my Australian based 991.2 GT3 RS and its costing me a smidge under AUD $500,000 for essentially the same car. The $100,000 price difference is solely due to the LCT.

You can't really compare the quoted weight of a 981 GT4 to the 718 GT4 because the law changed for quoting weights in Europe.

Previously, a manufacture could quote the weight of the lightest possible version of the car you could build so the weight of the 981 GT4 was quoted exc-PCM, exc-aircon, the lightest seats, and no gas in the tank. 

The law now forces manufactures to quote the weight of an average car including the options that most people would order plus half a tank of gas so the quoted weight of the 718 GT4 now includes PCM, half a tank of gas, etc. When you redo the math, the 718 GT4 is only 40kg heavier. Still heavier but not by a huge amount. But its power to weight ratio is still better.

I knew the GT4 was coming with a 4.0l producing 420hp over 1 year ago but the assumption was that it would be a de-tuned GT3 engine. However there was always one thing that nagged me...and that was how the hell are they going the detune the GT3 4.0 to only 420hp and still make it work. So the announcement that it was a new engine based on the 992/991.2 3.0l turbo came as a big surprise and now explains the how.

Further down the line, this engine is going to spawn a bunch of higher and lower HP versions including the 718 GTS 4.0l at 375hp which will sit above the GTS 2.5 Turbo. They were going to call this version the 718-6 but I hear there has been a late name change so I now expect it to appear as the 718 GTS 4.0l. Personally, I think call it the 718-6 would have been better.

Then in late 2020 there will be a 25th Anniversary Boxster producing 450hp. It will be a limited edition car in the same colour scheme as the original Boxster prototype - Silver/Red Leather/Copper coloured wheels.

Finally in 2021 there will be a GT4 RS with 475hp.

On 20/06/2019 at 05:26, WGA said:

Then in late 2020 there will be a 25th Anniversary Boxster producing 450hp. It will be a limited edition car in the same colour scheme as the original Boxster prototype - Silver/Red Leather/Copper coloured wheels.

Wow.. that is cool! We have a 1st year 986 in exactly that spec. 

• 1 month later...

Great conversation - I just had my 718 GT4 allocation confirmed.  Gone with GT silver and club sport package.  Looked pretty aggressive on the configurator!

Am still a bit on the fence with the GT4 though as my current track focused car is a 991 GT3.  Having owned a Cayman before I know how amazing they are to drive in terms of intuitive handling. 

By the same token, I'm not sure how visceral the driving experience is going to be with the new exhaust set up definitely sounding muted compared to the 981 generation GT4.   Could be fixable I suppose once the after market tuning and exhaust solutions start to pop up!  

Gonna see how I go over the first few drives, compare notes and see which one I hang onto.  Very first world problem...