Budget banging - sensible, but interesting cars for sensible $$$

Long story short, my other half ended the life of our 03 Corolla last week... it was a great unit for all intents and purposes and I will miss having a car we literally have zero care factor for, but we feel its time to get a new grocery getter/mooring minder. 

Trying to play captain sensible here, yet I am an idiot that cannot, and will not buy pedestrian cars if it can be avoided, so the struggle is real this time! 

We looked at new Mazda 3 a month or so back, lovely car, really well put together and a nice cabin with good safety equipment, but the powertrain is carry over from previous generation and the top line Astina gets to early $40's drive away... at that point I start thinking that type of money could buy a 996 coupe :lol: 

Circa $30k seems to have some interesting options, and isn't really a number that makes you feel like you're taking from the porsche fund. 

I looked at the new Corolla, we didn't take long to arrive at the conclusion it is below average for the $$ asked, its horribly disappointing. 

Research has lead me to Kia Cerrato GT & Hyundai's i30 N Line, both essentially the same platform and powertrain (1.6 Turbo & 7 Speed DCT), they come highly appointed, the reviews are good and they carry long warranty (especially the Kia at 7 years)... 

Those two cars seem to be leading the race, but I have never crossed the De Militarised Zone into Korea, so this could be the smartest or dumbest idea I've had.... I am quite fond of that i30N mind you, but it only comes stick. 

Anything else I should be looking at in this space = Practical, sensible, low ownership cost, but can play if you want it to? 

Don't worry too much about crossing into Korea mate, my wife has a 2013 Veloster that we can't bring ourselves to ger rid off it's been that good, there's little things that may not be as good as Toyota and co. but overall no complaints. I had an i30 for some time as well that i couldn't kill, pretty good cars as far as normal driving goes and cheap to run with the services if you keep it factory services, and no stupid timing belts to change every 60,000kms.

I recently purchased a 2 owner 2009 VW Golf GTI with 80klms as an auto daily.  It is outstanding for the money paid (11,500).  Heaps of go, brilliant handling & shed loads of room (comparatively).  I don't think you can go wrong.

I'd also very seriously consider a Skoda Octavia RS wagon (same Golf GTI powerplant).  We've had the larger Skoda Superb since 2015 & it is very, very good value. 

We love our Kia Carnival.  My mate works at Duttons and is in and out of the best cars all day long and reckons their run-about i30 is a rippa.  I'd check out Hyundai too.  Both companies have pleasingly evolved design thinking these days and long warranties, good build quality and are reliable.  

Holden Astra RS-V great car with great tech. Just handed it over to one of my employees after 2 years of faultless ownership, wife upgraded to new macan s. Have driven corolla and i30 and hated both. Interior wise the Astra trumps them both. Never driven veloster but like the look of it. 

You can get a deal on the Astra if you look around. Try a demonstrator with delivery kms as the factory is just registering them ;) reach out might be able to get you a voucher with some $$$$ off final negotiated price if buying new. 

I had a 2nd gen Hyundai Santa Fe, and the kids have had Hyundais and Kias and they were fantastically reliable little shit boxes.  Ran on smell of oily rag (good for students), cheap parts, probably should have done servicing myself but didn't.  Buy cheap and run into ground, discard and do it all over again!!!  (But I also like the idea of a Golf GTi too 🙂 )

1 minute ago, ArthurK said:

Holden Astra RS-V great car with great tech. Just handed it over to one of my employees after 2 years of faultless ownership, wife upgraded to brew macan s. Have driven corolla and i30 and hated both. Interior wise the Astra trumps them both. Never driven veloster but like the look of it. 

You can get a deal on the Astra if you look around. Try a demonstrator with delivery kms as the factory is just registering them ;) reach out might be able to get you a voucher with some $$$$ off final negotiated price if buying new. 

Daughter upgraded from Kia Cerato (see posting above) to RS-V when she wanted to move up market a little.   She loves it, I haven't had a chance to drive  it far yet, but seems to go pretty well.

I’ve been looking at runabouts for getting to the station and that sort of thing. Here’s what’s at the top of my list so far...

Top speed 31kph, what weapon!! 😂

2503ABF1-D9C8-4D5B-8D48-AA12D807D925.jpeg

Slightly more useful answer: I’m thinking about a couple year old M135i, super fun little go-karts those things!

10 minutes ago, JWM said:

Slightly more useful answer: I’m thinking about a couple year old M135i, super fun little go-karts those things!

Bought one a year ago $41K 36Kkm still had 8mths warranty and 2yr service, great hatch + Bang for Buck. Quicker than many Porsche's' in acceleration.

Taking it to Bathurst again this year !

I'm going to add another vote for a Golf GTI.

I was in a similar dilemna about a year ago looking for a practical sensible vehicle (to drive around 4yo and 2yo kids). Low ownership cost (that way there is no crying when they vomit and drop food/crumbs/sand everywhere). But can play if you want it to (ie won't bore the driver to tears).

I went for a Mk7 GTI (2013), I chose a one owner low km (29k) vehicle which looked like the back seats had never been used. I paid $24xxx (can't remember - but I couldn't be bothered haggling because I thought the price was fair based on its condition).

I'm happy to say that after a year it is fulfilling its role admirably.

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

I recently purchased a 2 owner 2009 VW Golf GTI with 80klms as an auto daily.  It is outstanding for the money paid (11,500).  Heaps of go, brilliant handling & shed loads of room (comparatively).  I don't think you can go wrong.

I'd also very seriously consider a Skoda Octavia RS wagon (same Golf GTI powerplant).  We've had the larger Skoda Superb since 2015 & it is very, very good value. 

Didn’t even cross my mind the Skoda, thanks 🙏🏻 That’s a solid contender that I’d not considered. 

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

Another vote for the Skoda wagon gti. 

As above, I just looked... the Octavia RS wagon is pretty damn sweet! I love a good wagon... 

1 hour ago, Pork Chops said:

Seriously dude get an MG...

https://mgmotor.com.au/

I love the pedigree of MG... especially the part where the Chinese took a massive shit on it! 

Plus + is:  They ARE cheap! 

You want practical? Get a ~2005 Holden Cruze! (I'm not joking either)

We just had a Cerrato for a weekend away. Nice enough - quiet and comfortable but a bit plasticy and lacks oomph on the highway. We've had a few Mazdas and always recommend them. Either side of $30k I'd be looking at a new 3, or 2 year old cx5. If the budget stretches to ~$40k, I'd be getting a near new cx5 turbo petrol.

I'm also a massive Golf GTI/R DSG fan, and have been looking at MK6 Rs again lately.

Thinking of doing same for a daily, mostly a work & shopping trolley, crawling around town, but can fit the golf clubs &/or bike with rear seats down.... GTi at number one spot so far, but has anyone got any feedback on the BMW 125i?? Similar outputs to the GTi....

26 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Thinking of doing same for a daily, mostly a work & shopping trolley, crawling around town, but can fit the golf clubs &/or bike with rear seats down.... GTi at number one spot so far, but has anyone got any feedback on the BMW 125i?? Similar outputs to the GTi....

@OzJustinhad one of these I believe though his was a bit hotted up I recall.  He may be able to give you further.

Almost every BMW 125i that I have seen has been blowing smoke. I notice because my girlfriend always tells me she would like one. Then I point out the smoke. :)

I reckon your money would be better spent on a super nice 944/944S or a 928.  Both of those will get your groceries for you, be fun to drive and will actually appreciate in value.

15 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Well then, I'll have a soy Macchiato with a gluten free, vegan friendly Bruffin thanks.

Is that you, sitting at the cafe, in your ill-fitting active wear?!?

ps, sorry gents to bring the forum convo down to mum-talk!! 😂😀

just looking for a modern, reliable, non-precious daily which still has some excitement/squirt factor....

Volvo !  V40 hatch 5cyl 2ltr engine with the Polstar chip, goes like the clappers and hard as nails well built and safe, second handies starting around 20k. Also the iconic looking C30 5cyl 2.5ltr R-Design they stopped building them in 2013 I think, don't know why. You can get highly specked polstar chipped cars under 20k lots of goodies availble for them, they use the same running gear as the Focus so upgrading brakes an suspension a piece of piss. V8 slayer is what my wife calls hers.:Chuckle2: