911 Safari

So here is a build that I have a feeling is going to divide the room. I’m taking my original Hamilton’s delivered non sunroof SC, lifting it around five inches and installing big tires. I spend a lot of time in the country and am sick of driving boring cars because of it. After seeing YouTube videos of the safari cars that Tuthill and Leh Keen are building I was convinced that this is way forward.

49F14DB6-BF4E-4B6F-AE00-CF2F8399E04A.jpeg

DD445D93-B522-439F-BDDC-4789962E5F58.jpeg

I wanted to go further than just cranking up the existing torsions bars, I’ve got completely new everything going in suspension wise. With uprated torsion bars, custom struts that have been lengthened also with dropped spindles and valved to suit. All the suspension side of things is being installed at the moment. So I hope to have it back on the road fairly soon

As the current owner of (the now turbocharged) RallyCab I can vouch for the freedom and fun that comes with a raised ride height.  I've got a rural property and out there a car that can go fast over bumps is infinitely more fun.  I'm just not sure about those tyres.  How will they go on the road which is where the car will be 99% of the time despite what you may espouse now!  I'm going big sidewall Avons for the ride height lift and that phat sidewall look.  I'm calling it the Turbo Tarmac RallyCab.

But each to their own and fashion and fads aside they will always be a fun car, so good on you, as that's what matters.

p.s. is this the car Cascone is doing?

On 24/08/2019 at 17:36, Pork Chops said:

As the current owner of (the now turbocharged) RallyCab I can vouch for the freedom and fun that comes with a raised ride height.  I've got a rural property and out there a car that can go fast over bumps is infinitely more fun.  I'm just not sure about those tyres.  How will they go on the road which is where the car will be 99% of the time despite what you may espouse now!  I'm going big sidewall Avons for the ride height lift and that phat sidewall look.  I'm calling it the Turbo Tarmac RallyCab.

But each to their own and fashion and fads aside they will always be a fun car, so good on you, as that's what matters.

p.s. is this the car Cascone is doing?

The tyres are the best compromise for what I am going to be doing with the car. That being tarmac, gravel, mud and snow. It’s also the biggest that will fit without major panel mods. I’ve had these tyres on a few different Landcruisers, they provide good grip in the wet and on asphalt. However I’m under no illusion that the handling change in the 911 on road is going to be massive, I’m certainly not expecting it feel like it’s on rails but it shouldn’t handle like a dog on lino either. The tires are still a 215 section with very stiff side walls and are made of a fairly soft compound. I just want to slide it around on dirt roads and be able to channel my inner Ari Vatanen every once in awhile. If I’m going out for a blast on road I’d be reaching for a different set of keys.

Hear is a preliminary shot of what is to come. Still a few ride height tweaks and alignment changes to be done.

23B1B526-2745-4A1E-B08A-69544CCE481E.jpeg

13 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

The tyres are the best compromise for what I am going to be doing with the car. That being tarmac, gravel, mud and snow. It’s also the biggest that will fit without major panel mods. I’ve had these tyres on a few different Landcruisers, they provide good grip in the wet and on asphalt. However I’m under no illusion that the handling change in the 911 on road is going to be massive, I’m certainly not expecting it feel like it’s on rails but it shouldn’t handle like a dog on lino either. The tires are still a 215 section with very stiff side walls and are made of a fairly soft compound. I just want to slide it around on dirt roads and be able to channel my inner Ari Vatanen every once in awhile. If I’m going out for a blast on road I’d be reaching for a different set of keys.

Hear is a preliminary shot of what is to come. Still a few ride height tweaks and alignment changes to be done.

23B1B526-2745-4A1E-B08A-69544CCE481E.jpeg

Go for it. A tool for every job. 

What tyre size are you using?  Will be interesting to see if you have to trim the part behind the front accordian (Lee Keen does). 

@OBRUT I haven’t got around to it yet but I will definitely be cutting the front valance and the trim piece behind the accordion. You don’t have to turn the wheel very far now for it to hit.

The tires I chose are BF Goodrich KO2’s in 215/75r15. The Keen cars use a 215/65r16 which is about 20mm shorter. The only reason I went for the 15’s over the 16’s is because I already had a set of 7 and 8 inch Fuchs sitting around doing nothing.

1 hour ago, RwGreeny said:

@OBRUT I haven’t got around to it yet but I will definitely be cutting the front valance and the trim piece behind the accordion. You don’t have to turn the wheel very far now for it to hit.

The tires I chose are BF Goodrich KO2’s in 215/75r15. The Keen cars use a 215/65r16 which is about 20mm shorter. The only reason I went for the 15’s over the 16’s is because I already had a set of 7 and 8 inch Fuchs sitting around doing nothing.

Cheers. The 15’s are also a more handsome wheel.

I used 15x6’s all round on the RallyCab - but was only trying to fit a 195/65/15. 

I agree, I love the old school look of 15’s and like Pork Chops I’m all about maximum phatness. Especially in this application. I looked into using gravel rally tires but I decided it was worth going with something a bit taller and going down the route of re-gearing

All up it worked out to be a 5 inch lift. It is as far as you can go without fabricating custom components. What limits you is being able to get enough camber in the car. The whole suspension fit up went in really easily. The only issue has been the wheel clearance to the oil cooler and windscreen washer bottle when close to full lock. I’ve remedied the oil cooler issue. For the washer bottle I’m going to try and cut about 40mm out of it and plastic weld it back together. If that fails I’ll have to workout a frunk mounted unit.

3 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

. For the washer bottle I’m going to try and cut about 40mm out of it and plastic weld it back together. If that fails I’ll have to workout a frunk mounted unit.

Dont cut up your washer bottle, save it.

Easy substitute is this bag for about $20

"  Windscreen Universal Washer Bottle Bag Kit With 12V Pump for Classic Cars Black"

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Windscreen-Universal-Washer-Bottle-Bag-Kit-With-12V-Pump-for-Classic-Cars-Black/273668046044?epid=2299383860&hash=item3fb7e2fcdc:g:XPsAAOSwTxJcRtQH

@Zelrik911 @Raven I’m just not sure what I’d be saving it for? If it’s not in the car I’d never have a use for it and it’s not a big dollar part that is unobtainium. I’d also prefer not to fill up the frunk anymore than I have too. I like Porsche’s original packaging solution and the larger volume for offroad/daily driving. Plus I haven’t done any plastic welding for quite awhile so it could be a good opportunity to get some practice in.