GT4 Market watch!

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Yeatesy said:

That’s a very good deal, I’ve read the sellers comments and the car sounds very well sorted.

Agreed, I was following the comments as they were coming in and it sounded like a really well looked after thing. Great buying.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, JWM said:

718 GT4 with 4,000km now down to its last hour on Collecting Cars. Currently sitting at $202k. For the record - Clubsport, PDK, Buckets.

This is going to go on for hours I reckon as it re-sets to 2 minutes everytime there's a new bid.  at $226k....

No, I was wrong, all done at $226.  Looked like came down to 2 bidders in the end......

48 minutes ago, edgy said:

Really does tell a story about the current asking prices we see on Car Sales! 

Would love to know their “days listed” numbers, average for Porsche listings must be approaching two years 😂

Starting to see more and more of these indicators on more mainstream stuff (which still sits anyway): 

IMG_8637.jpeg

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Would love to know their “days listed” numbers, average for Porsche listings must be approaching two years 😂

Starting to see more and more of these indicators on more mainstream stuff (which still sits anyway): 

IMG_8637.jpeg

I can help there and its not as dire as you'd think, these are the current listings for 718 Cayman GT4's.

2022 MY22 Auto, Racing Yellow with 20,000km, $285,000 - listed for 9 days
2022 MY22 Auto, Black with 6,745km, $324,900 Drive Away - listed for 26 days
2021 MY21 Auto, Guards Red with 14,000km, $275,000 - listed for 114 days
2021 MY21 Manual, Gentian Blue with 3,234km, $280,000 - listed for 45 days
2021 MY21 Manual, Carrera White with 2,664km, $299,990 - listed for 7 days

I wouldn't want to be selling a 981 GT4 currently though 😬

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 7.41.49 pm.png

4 minutes ago, reedminor said:

Looked at the 981s and thought roughly the same.

I guess the owners have to decide just how motivated to sell they are?

Spot on and they aren’t going to sell at anywhere near those prices.

MotIvated sellers appear to be using the auction sites these days. There are multiple makes/models I watch very closely on car sales and one in particular sees the cars rotated every 3 or 4 months for the past 2 years, nothing actually selling, prices barely moving.

12 hours ago, sleazius said:

MotIvated sellers appear to be using the auction sites these days.

It really does seem like there is a shift to this trend for those wanting to take a car to market and get it sold... I am going to take one of mine to auction soon (non P car) being LHD, I think there is a broader market for it, time will tell... I use to think Car Sales was the platform for serious sellers, now I think it is a joke, and that is not a dig at them, but the fishermen that list their stuff for sale, this could be a consequence of the "listed till its sold" terms, maybe they need to go down a similar path to realestate and their marketing fees... 

4 hours ago, edgy said:

It really does seem like there is a shift to this trend for those wanting to take a car to market and get it sold... I am going to take one of mine to auction soon (non P car) being LHD, I think there is a broader market for it, time will tell... I use to think Car Sales was the platform for serious sellers, now I think it is a joke, and that is not a dig at them, but the fishermen that list their stuff for sale, this could be a consequence of the "listed till its sold" terms, maybe they need to go down a similar path to realestate and their marketing fees... 

Spot on. I’ll be shifting one of my cars this way in the coming months. No interest in dealing with the carsales/facey dance.

20 hours ago, Yellowbird said:

Spot on and they aren’t going to sell at anywhere near those prices.

Yes - and looking at what the deman 981 sold for a few months ago , which appeared to be very well sorted, they are 10-20% too high? Maybe more?

Note I am applying very complex Porsche maths here!  🤣

• 1 month later...

What are people's thoughts on the 981 GT4 market at the moment?

The yellow clubsport at Hamiltons has just had a price drop to $189k.

Quite a few sub-$200k cars now.  The $200k+ cars don't seem to have much to justify the higher prices.

Hard to know if they'll keep dropping, and if so, by an amount which is worth waiting for...?

2 minutes ago, 997nut said:

Quite a few sub-$200k cars now.  The $200k+ cars don't seem to have much to justify the higher prices.

Hard to know if they'll keep dropping, and if so, by an amount which is worth waiting for...?

I sold mine recently to a lovely guy we chat often! First time owner of a porker. My car was well spec’d- sold quick when I bought it, sold quick enough when I sold it. I think colours and specs command a premium as with other cars of course. Accountant Grey….. discount 😜🫢

They are awesome things the 981GT4. I say live in the now- buy your cars sooner for more enjoyment- cash is just part of your imagination. 

On 21/08/2023 at 16:14, 997nut said:

They’ll keep dropping, reality/sanity has returned and cars depreciate again… who knew …

I can only assume most of what’s listed on Carsales now is by people without any strong motivation to actually sell … but it’s pretty clear if you bought today and “had to sell” tomorrow, you’d be taking a bath buying one of those listed at 220, 230, etc. 

But that was always true until recently I guess so @Peter John is not wrong … negotiate hard, buy and enjoy.

If the general consensus is that a decent 981 is high 100's, where would that put the 718's?

There are currently 6 x 718's on Carsales ranging from $275,000 to $310,000.  There was also one sold on Collecting Cars in July this year for $226K:

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2022-porsche-718-cayman-gt4

I am asking because I am considering buying one, so am now doing my research on what I should be paying and where the values may end up in the next 3-5 years.